Space Brothers

Started by shades of blue, December 16, 2013, 05:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 16, 2013, 05:17:49 PM Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:21:29 PM by shades of blue
Just started watching this and I gotta say, wish I would have picked it up sooner. I probably would have too, if people actually talked about it. Seriously, there doesn't seem to be much discussion about this one, anywhere. Right now I'm on episode 16 and cannot pull myself away. Worth checking out by anyone that can stand subtitled anime and is into slice of life titles or titles based around astronaut training & space exploration. Cause it doesn't look like this one is getting licensed & dubbed anytime soon.

QuoteWhen they were young, the brothers Mutta and Hibito promised each other they would become astronauts. Now, in 2025, Hibito has followed his dream to become the first Japanese on the moon, but Mutta has just been fired from his job. His brother reminds him of their childhood promise, and Mutta decides once again to aim for space.

http://www.youtube.com/v/ciS3fDqT1Vw

Torrent for the first 61 episodes:
http://bakabt.me/173319-uchuu-kyoudai-space-brothers-720p-commie.html

Been on my to watch list forever, but yea like you said, you don't ever hear buzz on it. At all really.

Good to hear it is a good show.

Just watched another episode and I am without a doubt, loving this series.

Since the beginning there's been another astronaut applicant MC has been crushing on and they just had a great moment of misunderstandings & innocence, in the middle of their psyche evaluation. Where they shake hands and his heart rate goes through the roof, causing the one guy monitoring vitals to panic. All while the all-knowing senior staff member understands exactly what just happened.

S-so sweet it gave me diabetes. But seriously, the stills don't do this one justice. It was a really cute little scene between these two.

BTW I'm not sure what commie used for a source, but I have yet to see a single broadcast alert or station watermark. This pleases me.

I plan to watch it but don't know when I would starting watching it. About the anime outside Japan, I know it is on a French channel that show anime with subbed one day after that aired on Japan.

Quote from: Gaston on December 16, 2013, 07:31:29 PM
I plan to watch it but don't know when I would starting watching it. About the anime outside Japan, I know it is on a French channel that show anime with subbed one day after that aired on Japan.

You could always download it using the torrent link I provided above, thou the subtitles are in English.

That said, according to AniDB there's a couple groups that have subbed it in French. All the way up to episode 66. But a quick glance at the site of the final group to pick it up leads me to believe they've subtitled everything up to the latest airing episode.

I already know where watching it but still thank for the link.

Quote from: shades of blue on December 16, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
Cause it doesn't look like this one is getting licensed & dubbed anytime soon.
I'll grant you the "soon."
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Harls on December 17, 2013, 12:31:24 AM
Quote from: shades of blue on December 16, 2013, 05:17:49 PM
Cause it doesn't look like this one is getting licensed & dubbed anytime soon.
I'll grant you the "soon."

Over a year ago, huh? I hate when they announce a licensed title and squat on it, without another word.  :doom:

Could be cookie bar, could be pet; who knows

cartoon network, in my chinese cartoons?!

aside from the gold chains, this smooth brother just might be the least racist black character in all of anime

just when you thought it was safe, a wild weaboo appears. damn you, carrot top. damn you to hell.

insert true lies quote

Actually what Apollo 11 saw was an unmanned Soviet lander, that touched down hours before they did. The Russians never disclosed this mission til long after the fall of the USSR.  After losing the race to moon race they didn't want anymore egg on their face, so they kept in undisclosed. There were probably a lot of other missions kept private too, but at least what Armstrong (iirc it was him that saw it) reported seeing was finally explained decades later.

Speaking of which, the horror film Apollo 18 included a what-if scenario, where the Soviet single person manned lander successfully made it to the moon. It wasn't a great movie, but I did enjoy the throwback feel of it. Kinda hard to explain, as it still had elements you'd expect from a number of modern horror films, but the feel of the movie felt like something from a different era... Can't really say more without giving away major details.

http://www.youtube.com/v/4RGhKzUUaME

The film is on Netflix BTW. So if you get bored, give it a try. Also so is Europa Report. Which I REALLY enjoyed. The beginning actually felt like something you'd watch on the space channel. And it used tons, tons of actual NASA footage. I swear in the credits there is around 10 minutes of just listing footage providers. It was ridiculous. Absolutely gorgeous looking film.

https://www.youtube.com/v/cbw9hlBnG74

I watched the first 5 episodes and I like it so far but I would need more episodes to see if I found it very good or not.

I am without a doubt enjoying it, but so far it is more about a pessimistic guy and his path to become an astronaut than it is about space exploration. The MC and his gary stu little brother are pretty fleshed out, thanks to a number of childhood flashbacks and some other characters receive similar treatment. The largest complaint I keep reading about this series is that the pacing is "too slow". I don't know if everyone suddenly developed ADHD or what, but I'd say it's clear enough that anyone expecting tons of space exploration right off the bat will not be satisfied.

I dropped the show after 21 episodes. That not bad, but I found it slow and I didn't want watch it during 80+ episodes.

Space Bros just wrapped up and I caught up to it a couple weeks ago. The final episode was nicely done, but the episodes leading up to it were plagued with tons of unnecessary filler. Which if they knew the show was not going to get another season, was a bad move on their part. As there was plenty of material they could have covered in the nearly 10 episodes of padding. But, well, what can you do. Anyway, I liked how the ending made Russia relevant to the long term story.

ultimate bro

James Webb Space Telescope

name a rock after your dead wife, moe

misunderstandings

moe salaryman marking out

huston, we have liftoff