GXP Anime Discussion

Started by AstroNerdBoy, December 22, 2022, 10:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: BobSchlotkin on May 27, 2023, 12:14:40 AM
I got home from work on Friday afternoon and there it was. This first episode Blu-Ray was in my mailbox! Since I bought the 6 disc set from Amazon.jp, I also received the small Masaki piece that is in the picture in Ryo-Okay's post.

Based on the happenings in the Paradise War novels, Dai-yon-ki, Dai-go-ki, and now Paradise Shido-hen, there is NO WAY Kajishima-sensei could have wrapped up Seina's story in GXP vol 18!

I really enjoyed episode one. Not a lot of action, but I think that's fine as long as the story progresses.

We'll probably never know Jovia's backstory, but I really want to see/read her interaction with Seina when she realized that he was from Japan. Hopefully we'll see some Airen in this season. I almost cancelled my subscription with Amazon.jp and ordered the set from Rakuten Books to get the Airen cloth poster and Acrylic key chain. Tough decision! I've got my daughter watching her anime goods sites for any of the limited items!

I've started working on a small jig that will allow me to photograph the novel, without having to destroy it, when it shows up in 5 months. I'm not planning on breaking the seal on any of them, except the novel, if I can!
did the audio drama come with it? we need to figure out some way to get those worked on  maybe fivver...
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Eff Efferson on May 27, 2023, 09:55:50 PM
did the audio drama come with it? we need to figure out some way to get those worked on  maybe fivver...

Not yet, I expect it to show up with the novel.
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

There is a drama CD included with each blu-ray. There are two discs in the package.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on May 28, 2023, 11:53:40 AM
There is a drama CD included with each blu-ray. There are two discs in the package.

Well crap!
I was hoping not to open them, but I guess I have to.

Thanks for the heads up!

What a great thing to see when I come back from vacation!

I enjoyed it. I left a pretty lengthy review on CR. Basically, the quality is a clear step up from OAV 5. The CG background textures were good. Everything looked great. Kamidaki got a shiny new coat, too! Music was nice. The pacing was still slow overall. But it was the first episode. So I was expecting it. Despite this, there was enough happening to keep me interested. A couple times I even rewound to review something.

Like AstroNerdBoy said in his yt review, there were a couple spots where the subs were a little different from the spoken language. But nothing critical that I could tell. As we all know, sometimes Japanese doesn't exactly translate to English 1-for-1. But Paradise Starts....? sigh. Again, agree with ANB, Paradise Begins just sounds better.

I don't think I need to go into the whole mother and daughter with Seina thing. I'm not at all surprised. We were expecting it. And in a galaxy where people live for thousands of years, I expect Earth traditional values to be considered at best, quaint. Besides, we have Washu, Ryoko, and Ryo-ohki with Tenchi, as well as Aeka and Sasami. So there is precedent.

I ran the episode 2 synopsis through deepl. I changed nothing, except correcting a couple names.
 The next morning after returning to Earth, Miki and her friends visit Tsukiko's house to greet her on her return. Later that day, the meeting place was filled with excitement at the "welcome party" in Masaki Village. Miki and the other members of the Masaki Ladies' Association are loved by the ladies "as a mascot" as well as by Seina, who has become a young man who still retains his old appearance, but Tsukiko's tense emotions overpower the others when Jovia is mentioned. The members of the ladies' association could only laugh at this attitude, but Akie gently admonished them, looking ahead to the future of Seina and Tsukiko, who had returned as adults.

I forgot to mention it in my YT review (and I had a note to mention it too), but for me, the primary ick factor for Tsukiko x Seina is the fact that she helped raise him. So she's a mother figure. And yeah, that's yet another sexual fantasy element for Kajishima-sensei to do.

If Jovia is also Seina's wife, I suppose she's in on getting Seina hooked up with Tsukiko. Otherwise, why isn't she getting some "quality time" with Seina?

The story of how she got married to Seina as "a plus-one to a great beauty" could be fun. I still assume the other one must be Airen (part of Seina's plan to get off the magic planet). The joke seems to largely be that she must have tricked her way in somehow. The first time it's alluded to is in a doujin before OVA5, with Jovia not only teasing that she married him but that she beat all the rest (to an actual ceremony... and maybe other things)... which would definitely make everyone angry.
...in my pants

My thoughts and comments on episode 1.

Seto looks quite a bit younger than she did in the GXP anime.
Good grief! Kai is definitely a Tennan! Hopefully there's enough influence from the Masaki side to keep him from going totally insane.
What the hell is with Chibi Nayuto sitting in Washu's lap at ~4:38.
At ~19:45 we hear about how Seina would have probably married Tsukiko if he hadn't gone into space for at least the third time.
We knew Kiyone was nuts from Dai-yon-ki and the GXP novels, but that woman was completely out of control. Definitely Airi's kid! How did Minaho end up being even remotely sane?
~25:34. I think Washu is hoping that truck-kun gets Jovia.
~25:38. Mikami says, "Don't eat food off the ground." Probably the best line in episode one!

As many others have pointed out: That title! Who screwed the pooch on that one!?

I'm not really bothered by the incest thing. It's a royalty thing! Hell the royal houses in Europe were all related to each other 5 or 6 different ways.

I do wish that the translations were a bit more literal. There are too many quasi-English equivalents thrown in.

I'm really looking forward to August Comiket. With luck, we'll get some more details in 23.08.

Oh, btw, I think the plus-one is Jovia not Tsukiko.

I guess my pronoun was unclear. I was referring to ANB saying "If Jovia is also Seina's wife" and referring to her, not Tsukiko.

It's in the 3rd(?) Episode of OVA5 where Jovia and Miron are having an impromptu Manzai skit where Jovia says she was a bench warmer wife and a "plus one to a great beauty."
No, Tsukiko has nothing to do with that.
...in my pants

Quote~25:34. I think Washu is hoping that truck-kun gets Jovia.

She wants Jovia run over?

I really hope the GXP OVA series does better than expected. I wouldn't mind another Geminar series. I'd love to the the True Tenchi Muyo! novels adapted into OVA episode. Ditto the Paradise War novels. Heck, I know it won't happen, but the mind boggles at the thought of an ACCURATE GXP novel anime adaptation.

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on June 02, 2023, 01:18:00 AM
Quote~25:34. I think Washu is hoping that truck-kun gets Jovia.

She wants Jovia run over?

I really hope the GXP OVA series does better than expected. I wouldn't mind another Geminar series. I'd love to the the True Tenchi Muyo! novels adapted into OVA episode. Ditto the Paradise War novels. Heck, I know it won't happen, but the mind boggles at the thought of an ACCURATE GXP novel anime adaptation.

Heh,
Mostly my weird sense of humor reacting to the way she said that.
I agree 100% with the anime adaptation of Paradise War and a novel accurate GXP!
I'd like to see season 2 of Geminar, after he finally finishes Agga Ruter.

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on June 02, 2023, 01:18:00 AM
I'd love to the the True Tenchi Muyo! novels adapted into OVA episode.

I'd give my left nut to see Ryoko's attack on Jurai animated fully, with Dio's "Lock up the Wolves" as BGM.

https://youtu.be/e63f-KgsULA

new trailer. were getting another talky episode for sure but with lots of  character interaction. miki tells tsukiko hi mom im home! and clearly d is explaining something about their past lives to the dual girls. she hasnt had a speaking line in aaaaages. and grown sasami gets to have some shenanigans. im looking foward to it
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Get that plunger away from your face, girl. Nasty.