Ripping Apart Ryo-Ohki (Part II)

Started by For Washuu, June 21, 2013, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

--------
Okay, so it's actually my Epiphone EA-260 electric bass.  But, hey, I did name it after the adorable cabbit.  (mostly because it seemed like either a Ryo-Ohki or a Washuu, but wasn't awesome enough or versatile enough of an instrument to bear the Redhead Goddess' name.)

For no other reason than that of its name, I am posting the second repairing of it here on the forum.  You can ignore me now, if you want. ;)

So I get started.  The problem that has been growing is [was] that the vinyl binding on the back of the edge has started to peel off.  As in, it hasn't been doing its job and the bottom of the bass in on the path to falling clean off.  Lovely.

So I start by getting rid of the old binding.

It's the white stuff around the back edge of the body.  Here:

Then there's a catch.  Literally.  I can't get the whole back off of the rest of the bass (I wanted to so that I could fix some touchy wiring inside), but it's stuck..... glued to a wood wedge we (dad and I) added inside the body to support the neck back a year ago when we took the TOP of the bass off to repair it the first time.
This explains why the binding you see in the picture above is white, and yet the binding still on the bass in this picture:

...is black.  Dad only had black binding last time, so that's what we used.  (I've got photos, if anyone wants.)
And, since it is NOT the original 1971-era glue holding that binding, it still holds.

Having failed to get the back off, I handed it off to my 60-year-old dad, who is quite skilled in luthiership.

And he promptly failed too.
The dude made his own violin from scratch and he was still no match for Ryo-Ohki...

Eventually we just gave up on trying to get in to repair the flakey pickup wires and skipped to replacing the 40-year-old glue that was failing to hold it together.

(That's how the top is held to the sides when it's being glued.  Lots... of... clamps.)

WELL!  Now that everyone's fallen asleep, I can ask them that one question I had.

I want a name for this guitar I built out of parts (it runs in the family), but I want it to be a Tenchi-verse name.  Something, you know?

The original body is a Vantage, so... woot!
If the colors were black accessories on a white body, I'd have named it Ken-Ohki long before now, but... I just don't know for it. 
Any ideas?  Questions?  Thoughts?

Ryo-Gakki. You know, Ryo the instrument instead of Ryo the Emperor of Demons.

*During the process of searching for a suggestion, auir has searched through many Japanese honorifics and during the process came across a list of Chinese honorifics which absolutely surprised him due to him not knowing some of the words he was using were honorifics at all and simply thought they were the appropriate words to address someone and by goodness the list is long
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

Hm.
Not sure, Auir.

On one hand, it is an instrument... but on the other, I've consistently held the view that it is destined to growl and rumble like Seshomaru.  Or any other massive demon.  I guess.

Hm.

Do you only want Japanese? Or it just has to be Asian or anything except English?
Denka! Kenshin-sama! Anata no kami no hogo o yokose!

I was just thinking Tenchi- or Kajishima-verse things.  Japanese in general, at most.