Tenchi Muyo! 25th anniversary discussion

Started by WarOmnimon, August 09, 2017, 02:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Thinking about how properly several of the other milestone anniversaries this year have been handled (The Digimon 20th anniversary is especially notable, Bandai has been doing everything they need to with it so far but that's going off topic already), I'm surprised that nobody really started a specific discussion about Tenchi's big 2-5 this year yet.  That way, we can discuss what we hope is done with the anniversary and so on and so forth.  I'll start with my own thoughts.

First of all.  If they're doing an anniversary series, it DEFINITELY needs to be something that's part of the actual canon.  OVA 5, redo of GXP to add the stuff that Nabeshin cut out / take out the stuff that he forced in, continuation of War on Geminar, or heck, even an anime iteration of Paradise War.  The anniversary series needs to be something canonical at this point.  Yeah, I'm hyped for the new Pretty Sammy, but I seriously think that if New Sammy is the anniversary series, it's gonna backfire and explode in everyone's face.  Remember, the last time an anniversary series was something non-canon, we got Ai... which not only backfired and exploded in everyone's face, but also did so VERY hard.  The 10th anniversary, on the other hand, was handled PERFECTLY.  We got GXP and OVA 3, albeit GXP had interference from Nabeshin.

As for merchandise.  A new artbook or something similar is a must.  Maybe new plush and stuff would work, too.  Heck, maybe even some kind of video game.  I mean, what the video game would end up being if it's purely Tenchi would likely be a visual novel or something similar.  However, do keep in mind that many Kadokawa owned properties (Of which Tenchi will be one soon) such as Sword Art Online, Irregular at Magic High School, and so forth have had games done by Bandai Namco (Albeit Irregular only get one in Japan).  And something that Bamco is known for every once and a while is crossover stuff... Super Robot Wars being one of those massive crossovers.  I bring up the possibility of Tenchi being in SRW for one reason... the latest game in the series, Super Robot Wars V, includes Space Battleship Yamato 2199, which is NOT a super robot franchise.  It could happen, especially if we get War on Geminar inclusion.

...yeah, that's all I've got right now.  Short version, I've got high hopes for the merchandise, and I'm hoping that whatever anniversary series happens is part of the canon, much like they did with the 10th anniversary.  The rest of you are up now.  Shoot.  :)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

Maybe a Tenchi manga done by Kajishima himself? I dunno if he's the kind of guy to do stuff like that but the idea can potentially open the avenue for other things.

Quote from: Monster Man on August 09, 2017, 06:41:10 PM
Maybe a Tenchi manga done by Kajishima himself? I dunno if he's the kind of guy to do stuff like that but the idea can potentially open the avenue for other things.

+1 to you, sir - VERY good option there, one that I didn't even consider.  Keep in mind, Kajishima never did a manga for the series.  On the other hand, if it's all the anniversary gets... that would actually backfire and explode faster than Ai did.  Tenchi started as an anime, so the fanbase is gonna expect something anime.  It doesn't have the "adapted from a manga, light novel, and / or video game" card to play that so many other anime franchises do.  Doing something like that therefore has no safety net like it does for say a Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, or even Sword Art Online.

I say they should do a new anime AND a new manga, the first to be written by Kajishima.  If Kajishima's gonna do a manga, that's awesome.  But if they don't do an anime... the 25th anniversary is dead much faster than Ai killed the 20th.  Here's to hoping.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

How about an anime film that actually takes place within the ova canon!

Quote from: CajunShaun on August 10, 2017, 01:31:59 AM
How about an anime film that actually takes place within the ova canon!

All the good ideas.  ALL OF THEM.  :getin:

Seriously though... I'm loving these ideas.  A manga that is part of the actual canon is something that hasn't happened yet.  A movie that is part of the actual canon is also something that hasn't happened yet.  So many things they can do.  Here's to hoping that Kajishima and Kadokawa's dream team can knock it out of the park.  :D

Hentai OVA, Each episode is focused on one of the girls. :ground:

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on August 10, 2017, 08:00:22 PM
yuri ova, eash episode if focused on two of the girls :parrot:

no need for tenchi indeed
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

The Sasami episode would sell like hotcakes. Enough to fund a 26 episode OVA and a movie. :swink:
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

If there is a Sasami episode set it 100 years in the future. Otherwise nuke from orbit

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for the good doctor... but that's no longer a possibility.  Yeah, AIC COULD have potentially allowed that (Points at Masquerade, Anata Dake, Agga Rutter, etc), but let's face it... that WON'T happen under Kadokawa's watch.

Quote from: Ricin on August 11, 2017, 11:13:32 AM
If there is a Sasami episode set it 100 years in the future. Otherwise nuke from orbit

The Kadokawa buyout means that the possibility is already nuked.  :smug:

Finally finishing Pretty Sammy Ova which while never happen.

Also a movie about Tenchi's wedding and the honeymoon that happen just after.

an episode where washu invents the greatest vibrator in the galaxy and field tests it on the harem.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Monster Man on August 09, 2017, 06:41:10 PM

I'm wishing he teamed up with up with someone back in the 90s, where the writer/artist churns out the bread and butter stories but followed the big picture overall.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Why not get Okuda to do a new manga? He doesn't seem to be doing anything other than Tenchi stuff right now anyway.