Tenchi Muyo! 25th anniversary discussion

Started by WarOmnimon, August 09, 2017, 02:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 16, 2017, 10:08:14 AM #60 Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 10:14:27 AM by WarOmnimon
Alright, so they updated the Campfire page for the new Pretty Sammy with some new info.  We now know who the staff working on this thing is gonna be and we have some more character designs... one in particular which indicates a change of roles somewhere.

Main Staff (Reference page - https://camp-fire.jp/updates/view/38538#main)
-The character designer is Kenji Terao, whose previous works include the Love Live! series and Princess Principal.  We have clear shots of Sammy and Misao's faces here, too.

-The director is Yuuta Takamura, whose previous works include Lyrical Nanoha ViVid and Non Non Byori Repeat.  Given Nanoha's reputation among magical girl fans, I've got serious high hopes now.

-The story is being written by Aoidai Ishikawa.  It looks like this is someone completely new to the business, with the page noting that this individual is a young writer that AIC has high expectations for.

TLDR Some heavy hitters are working on NEW! Sammy (Especially Terao and Takamura), and yeah, Nabeshin thankfully isn't even remotely near this thing.  Which is good because the original iteration of Sammy didn't have him involved in the first place (Magical Project S, however, did).  I guess that's our confirmation that AIC booted him out after Ai Tenchi Muyo!, much like Saban booted Johnathan Tzachor out after Power Rangers Megaforce (Remember, both Ai and Megaforce were anniversary seasons that weren't received well by the fans).

Character Designs (https://camp-fire.jp/updates/view/39290#main)
We've got Tsunami, Ramia, and Ayeka's designs.  And interestingly enough, Ayeka appears to be wearing the Julyhelm robes.  In the original Pretty Sammy, which we know this is a sequel to... she was a regular high school student.  That's quite the shakeup.  Now I understand why Tenchi, Ryoko, and Ayeka's roles are listed as unknown (Question marks), because they've been completely changed up compared to the original.

This had my curiosity since it was first announced / teased several months prior... but now it has my attention.  LET'S GO!   :parrot:
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

QuoteAnd interestingly enough, Ayeka appears to be wearing the Julyhelm robes.

Just like in MPS, where she was Romio..
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Harls on October 16, 2017, 10:37:53 AM
Just like in MPS, where she was Romio..

Precisely my thought.  But she's referred to as Ayeka rather than Romio, which leaves more questions than answers (At least for now).  And Ryoko's name was also different in MPS (Oryo).  This confirms that things just got VERY interesting.  We know this is a sequel to the OVAs rather than MPS, yet MPS stuff is showing up (Albeit Romio and Oryo have their usual names of Ayeka and Ryoko).  I'm starting to think that this is either going to lead to a continuity migraine at some point, or maybe, just MAYBE, Ayeka ends up somehow becoming a part of Julyhelm's camp.  And we still haven't seen Ryoko's design, so yeah.

(Joke - If this ends up being continuity migraine stuff, I'll just blame Kamen Rider Decade as everyone else does in these cases and use that as my explanation. :P )
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

So that a sequel to the tv version or what? The two continuities meating together would makes sense, but knowing AIC records to makes their great anime likes El Hazard or Tenchi Muyo turning into shit, they probably just fusion the two show together and don't care about continuity sense.

Quote from: Gaston on October 16, 2017, 12:33:55 PM
So that a sequel to the tv version or what? The two continuities meating together would makes sense, but knowing AIC records to makes their great anime likes El Hazard or Tenchi Muyo turning into shit, they probably just fusion the two show together and don't care about continuity sense.

Well, that's the thing.  It looks like a continuation of the Pretty Sammy OVA rather than Magical Project S (TV).  For starters, the roles of Washu, Mihoshi, and Kiyone appear to be the same as what they were in the OVAs.  And then there's the fact that Ayeka and Ryoko are noted to be named, well, Ayeka and Ryoko rather than Romio and Oryo.  If they had used the Romio and Oryo names, that combined with Ramia being around would be a dead ringer that this was a sequel to the TV series... but they didn't.  And the revealed roles for the others (Sasami, Misao, Washu, Mihoshi, Kiyone) match the OVA moreso than they do the TV series.

You know what, given the response, there's already a continuity migraine, so I'm just gonna bust Narutaki out anyway.  ONORE DIKEIDO!

(But hey... at least Nabeshin isn't involved.)

Hopefully it will have more update that would make thing clear. After all, it is AIC. Did they ever fuck up something?!?  :shepicide:

Quote from: Gaston on October 16, 2017, 06:26:08 PM
Hopefully it will have more update that would make thing clear. After all, it is AIC. Did they ever fuck up something?!?  :shepicide:

In terms of Tenchi, I can name Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Forever, Tenchi Muyo! GXP, and Ai Tenchi Muyo! that all got busted up somehow... but let's face it, those screwups were more on Nabeshin and / or Negishi than they were AIC as a whole.  The good news is that neither of them are anywhere near NEW! Pretty Sammy, and OVA 4 turned out nicely, so I'm not worried about it.

That, and when you've got a competent director that worked on something as well known and praised as Lyrical Nanoha working on this, I have confidence that this will turn out to be at least mediocre, if not great.  It's not gonna be a pile of steaming you know what is what I'm saying, and that's why I'm excited despite the potential continuity migraine.

Quote from: WaitoKon on October 16, 2017, 02:57:34 PM
The Decadence  :rad:

Well, at least around here it is lesser used, given that I don't know of too many around these parts who are also Kamen Rider fans... but you know what I meant.  :)

I will like to have another spinoff to the series.  The new series can be a composite of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki and Tenchi Universe.  In my ideal spinoff, Mihoshi is a smart detective who is often mistaken by many to be like the Universe's Mihoshi.  The mistake by many  people is a result of the spinoff Mihoshi's carefree view of life.  Mihoshi is smart enough to use  the mistake to her advantage. 

:christ: :how: :popcorn:

I agree takahata, that would be a nice change. Imagine Mihoshi laying claim to the entire solar system and bumping Sirius XM, all the other GXP patrols re-routed through her tinkering.

So this what we've got to deal with Hu? Guess they don't care about the fan base that got the series so popular in the first place. I never liked this Ova series or Tv series of this character so boo :/

Quote from: Tenchifan30 on October 18, 2017, 11:13:38 AM
I never liked this Ova series or Tv series of this character so boo :/

Mihoshi's character? What about the huge reveals in OVA 3?

So this what we've got to deal with Hu? Guess they don't care about the fan base that got the series so popular in the first place. I never liked this Ova series or Tv series of this character so boo :/

We got a troll now or somethin?

Quote from: takahata on October 17, 2017, 11:03:56 PM
I will like to have another spinoff to the series.  The new series can be a composite of Tenchi Muyo Ryo-Ohki and Tenchi Universe.  In my ideal spinoff, Mihoshi is a smart detective who is often mistaken by many to be like the Universe's Mihoshi.  The mistake by many  people is a result of the spinoff Mihoshi's carefree view of life.  Mihoshi is smart enough to use  the mistake to her advantage. 

:christ: :how: :popcorn:

We need a pure evil Mihoshi who is smart enough to utilize her own abilities for universal supremacy/genocide.

October 20, 2017, 06:54:41 AM #74 Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:59:18 AM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: Y_Anthony_Who on October 18, 2017, 03:17:28 PM

We got a troll now or somethin?

Not sure if trolling, or he completely missed the fact that we're also getting OVA 5 as recently confirmed by the man himself (Kajishima).  :\  With that being said, I seriously believe that AIC will be handling this the same way they did the 10th anniversary.  Spinoff first (The 10th anniversary kicked off with GXP), and then OVA 5 later (OVA 3 episode 1 released not long after GXP's run ended).

And let's face it.  Rather a new Pretty Sammy than letting Negishi (Who I must remind you all isn't anywhere near NEW! Sammy) do another AU for another anniversary that would cause the franchise to almost completely crash and burn like Ai did for the 20th, right?  Say what you want about OVA 4 not being the anniversary season, but at least it helped make sure that the 25th anniversary would be stable and not fall off course and get THE worst received AU since Shin / Tokyo like the 20th did.  Would you want a repeat of that for 2 straight anniversaries?

...didn't think so.  Count your blessings, man.  If you're not down with a new Pretty Sammy, look for the light at the end of the tunnel.  It's called OVA 5.  At least AIC is showing at minimum a semi-decent amount of competence this time.