Ideas for Tenchi Remake

Started by animecartoonfan, March 10, 2013, 06:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
What ideas would you use if you were to remake the entire Tenchi series? how different would you make the characters? what elements would you keep or drop? would you bring the other Tenchi series into it? (GXP, War on Geminar) what villains would you use from the manga? one of my ideas: Make Mihoshi EXTREMELY competent

Hmmm...for me personally, I wouldn't make that many changes.

I'd just

-First off, give OVA 3 8-12 episodes

-Fix OVA 3 Mihoshi to be more like the first 2.

-Right after the Misao storyline, use it to lead into the Mihoshi past

-End the OVA around the time during Kenshi's training as a little boy

That's pretty much it for me...

One thing I'd push though even before an OVA 4 is a remake of GXP with Kajishima leading the project. From what I've seen from Kajishima's novels, its just a MUUUUCCCHH better product compared to the anime.

Ditto on everything Tenchi Ryu said.

Sorry to be a killjoy, but considering that on just 13 episodes of the OAV, we got 2 animated remakes, and several in print.... I would say nothing.  Just keep advancing the existing story along, not revisit well-trodden paths.  Something like Star Trek series has 100's of episodes, 4-7 seasons per series, and just in 2009 they decided to finally do a remake.

With Tenchi, we're hardly out of the starting gate.... I really don't want yet another remake :neg:
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on March 10, 2013, 10:24:16 PM
Something like Star Trek series has 100's of episodes, 4-7 seasons per series, and just in 2009 they decided to finally do a remake.

716 episodes, 30 seasons and ten movies before the 2009 remake.  To be precise.  (Or, you know, so I heard.  It's not like it's one of my main fandoms right now or anything... *shifty eyes*)

As for TM... eh.  I wouldn't be terribly opposed to something small and contained, like another movie.  But after Universe and TinT, another AU timeline would be a bit overkill, IMO.
"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man."

http://morgeil.tumblr.com/

Quote from: Morgeil on March 10, 2013, 11:56:43 PM

716 episodes, 30 seasons and ten movies before the 2009 remake.  To be precise.  (Or, you know, so I heard.  It's not like it's one of my main fandoms right now or anything... *shifty eyes*)
Well there goes absolutely any chance of me marathoning it....

:neg: :neg: :neg:

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on March 11, 2013, 12:18:40 AM
Quote from: Morgeil on March 10, 2013, 11:56:43 PM

Well there goes absolutely any chance of me marathoning it....

:neg: :neg: :neg:

To be honest, I haven't finished watching it all either.  Because yeah, it is very daunting.  I marathoned all of Next Gen, Deep Space Nine and Voyager and now I'm on a break because BURNOUT.  Ugh.

TM's got a while yet to get to that level...
"General Hammond, request permission to beat the crap out of this man."

http://morgeil.tumblr.com/

I'm relatively new to Trek.  I watch it streaming from Amazon when I exercise on a treadmill, like an episode or 2 a day.  I finished TNG in December, and mostly through DS9 now.  I liked the characters on TNG slightly better, but compared to DS9, it had way more filler episodes and had no overarching plot.  So I think DS9 is the better show.  Hopefully I finish it before spring fully gets here, then I can run outside most days except when it rains, then it's only music no video.  I'll have to wait until next November to start a new Trek series, rain days are too few and far in between.

Idk if I even want to watch the other shows.  I like Spock on TOS but the special effects look terrible so I put off watching it (DS9 effects are barely passable when it gets extended into fight scenes imo).  From what Trek fans tell me, I'm not anticipating Enterprise or Voyager so I may never watch those.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Personnaly I would like see an AU like in Mihoshi Special where Tenchi is a cop and work with all his haremettes. I would also gives him all girls I like as Hiwa for example. Also my Kiyone would be Evil Kiyone !

BTW, I only see 3 Star Trek movies in my life and I don't care about the series.  :getin:

Here are my ideals for for a remake of OVA 3.

Inroduce Tenchi's childhood friend Hiwi as Tenchi's true finacee.

Allow Airi and Tennyo to introduce Hiiwi as a way to introduce two other members of Tenchi's family.

Give OVA 3 8-12 episodes.

One episode focuses on the Obon festival.  The Obon festival is a way for Tenchi to meet his other siblings.

Nobuyuki and Katsuhito give a better explanation of the death of Tenchi's mother Kiyone.

Have Seina, Kai, and Kiriko in one of the episodes.

have Misao borrow the keys to the Chobimaru.

:really: :pcgamer:

Star Trek is sort of a love/hate thing for me. I love some things about it. Some of the movies I've enjoyed greatly. But, I've never seen 'all' the movies, nor even seen the series in their entirety. Especially since some Star Trek series were better than others sad to say, that I've probably seen more Voyager than the other Star Trek series. This despite it being the worse. Enterprise had potential. But was missing something (and was probably why it got canned). Though it, and Voyager, a lot of times the  :babble: takes up so much of the episode, that the end resolution feels rushed. That was one of the reasons why many of the episodes of Voyager sucked IMO.

Of course, except for the 2009 remake and the soon to be released sequel, unlike Tenchiverse, they are considered to be in the same canon. The 2009 remake is considered AU, but AU in the Dual sense.

And when I saw this thread was about remaking Tenchi, I thought I would have a lot to say about it. Except, I don't. :P Well, it's more like, my ideas are more, additions to the canon rather than a true remake. Or changing things that could have improved the OVA. Which, are more along the lines of Tenchi Ryu reply here. More episodes for OVA3, reduce scenes I felt were filleresque, give more screentime for the war, so on and so forth.

I mean I could say, add a version of TU!Kiyone to the OVA timeline but, that's again, adding to the OVA. Not a remake. And honestly, that doesn't really 'add' to the series in a meaningful way other than adding my favorite non-OVA canon character to the timeline.  :emot-smugdog:

Now, if someone did go to me and say "Let's Remake the series", I could I guess. Same characters, maybe even the same origin, just in different situation. But then that would kind of like be, what they did with Tenchi Universe or what's constantly done in the DC/Marvel verse. I'd have my own spin on things of course. Like make Tsunami the main girl.  :smug: But that's the only way I would really do a remake.

*And I don't consider stuff like the Pretty Sammy as a remake. I see that as a spinoff. :P

March 11, 2013, 07:31:09 PM #11 Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:36:38 PM by LightHawkWing
I came up with this in my philosophy class last month:
I was bored and for some reason, the creative juices were just flowing and ideas were popping into my head left and right hahaha.

There's a hidden realm within our own, existing separately. This realm is a secret to the people of Earth due to its high level technology and mysterious power that would boggle the minds of the "normal" Earthlings. Centuries ago, the decision was made to annex it from our world but links between the two still remain but are very thin.

Tenchi Masaki (like every other show) is a normal Earthling until one day, while walking to school from his grandfather's shrine in Okayama, he somehow slips through the cracks and stumbles into the separate world. Shortly afterwards, a woman named Ryoko comes in right behind him having her fun and attacking the realm and having a ball doing so and this is where the story begins.

Ryoko and Tenchi are banished from the realm by its Royal Guard and are sent back into our world and are captured by Professor Washu Hakubi.

Washu is the world's greatest genius and has been researching the hidden world for nearly her entire life with a great passion and ferocity that even she can't explain. She has been hired by a secret splinter cell of the government in order to find evidence that this world exists and if possible, discover how to get there and why it was made separate in the first place. Her personality and characteristics are still the same as the original Washu, but her heartbreak and cold aloofness ste  from somewhere different, somewhere that for some reason, she can't pinpoint.

Ryoko is the same as always. She's been in Washu's custody for as long as she can remember but never stays in one place long enough for Washu to get a handle on her. As unstable, passionate, and sexual as her other counterparts, Ryoko feels lost because she has no idea where she comes from or who her parents are. She travels around the world causing trouble and wreaking havoc, being the cause of many of the Earth's unexplained mysteries in the process. She believes the hidden world could be the key to her past but because most evidence of it is nowhere to be found she never tries to help Washu do her research...unless Washu does something drastic. In the beginning of the story, she had found a thinly veiled door between the worlds in Okayama and when Tenchi Masaki finally unlocked it, she followed him in there and fell in love with him along the way.

Ayeka is the Princess of the hidden realm. Stressed beyond belief due to her responsibilities and wary of secrets that even she doesn't know about, she is ecstatic when Tenchi allows her an escape. After Tenchi and Ryoko return to Tenchi's home in Okayama, Ayeka follows in suit and surprises them by deciding to move in, under the cover of trying to "make sure that the secrets of her world aren't revealed." The new wonders of Tenchi's world is what causes Ayeka to fall in love with him.

Sasami is Ayeka's little sister as always. Unbeknownst to her and her sister, there is a kidnapping plot surrounding her due to the fact that she is the avatar of the hidden realm's patron goddess Tsunami. The kidnapping attempt went into affect after Ayeka left but the kidnappers unknowingly sent Sasami straight into the home of Tenchi Masaki.

Mihoshi Kuramitsu was the second in command of the realm's Imperial Guard. However, a mysterious event tied to the secrets of the realm and the kidnappers burned her out and after allowing Tenchi and Ryoko to escape, she was suspended indefinitely. Wallowing in her sadness, she found herself in our world and Washu, wanting to study her, made her the co-commander of her Task Force. Despite being given a cushy  home by the government, she chooses to stay in Tenchi's house after falling in love with him.

Kiyone Makibi or Noike Kamiki, whichever you prefer was just promoted to Commander of Professor Washu's Task Force and was ecstatic about it until she was partnered with Mihoshi. To "keep an eye on Mihoshi and to watch out for Professor Washu," Noike/Kiyone chooses to stay in Tenchi's home as well though the true reason is because she's deeply in love with Tenchi.

Washu found Ryoko when she was a girl and believed her to be the child of inhabitants of the other realm but she discovers later in the story that Ryoko is actually her daughter. When the story comes to a climax, her memories are unlocked and it is revealed that she had been researching the other realm longer than she had thought and had actually succeeded in finding it. She fell in love with one of its inhabitants and they were planned to be married. However, she somehow immaculately conceived (as a goddess) and gave birth to Ryoko. With the man's family believing that she had been unfaithful to him, they took him away and left Washu heartbroken. After the two eloped, Washu was banished from the realm and her memories were sealed away. Additionally, Ryo-Ohki was created by Washu as a means of containing Ryoko's un-explainable power.

Tenchi's grandfather is actually the High Priest of the other realm. After the priesthood fell and the monarchy rose, he fled the realm due to not liking how it was changing and was among those who decided to seal it off from the human world. He broke down the barrier at his house and allowed Tenchi to go into the world, believing he could change things back to how they're supposed to be.

The working title is "Tenchi Muyo! Project J."

wow that's actually pretty good. how would you handle Mihoshi and Kiyone's relationship? would they be rivals who get along later or have they always respected each other?

I'd change Tenchi's gender and make him look like Achika. Everyone else would stay the same, so there'd be a yuri harem. Probably throw Misao (the Pretty Samy one, not the guy, ya silly mexicans!) into the harem as well, so Sasami wouldn't have to be the only loli.  :parrot:
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

LHW idea is one of the best ideas (the few I've heard mind you. :P) to having a remake that isn't simply a retread of the original OVA. Characters are all there. Background is different and yet, similar enough that it feels like a Tenchi Muyo series. Not a spinoff or, like a lot of so-called AUs in fanfiction, 'original story with name droppings just for the sake of getting readers'.