[AiTM] The new "Tenchi Muyo" series is a Negishi created AU

Started by antvasima, August 01, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In addition to her crab hair, I kinda wish they didn't erase Washu's Purple "Ponytails" that I felt connected her with Ayeka.  *sigh*

BTW, how long does it take for streaming of these series to occur on crunchy roll or whatever?
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on September 02, 2014, 08:08:30 PM
BTW, how long does it take for streaming of these series to occur on crunchy roll or whatever?

I love how we all just assumed this is getting translated on the fly. More like we're lucky if someone tries to do the blu rays.

I don't watch much anime, I didn't know crunchyroll was just legal stuff.  I mean how long usually is it will be until someone puts it up on some service?  The 5 eps as a bundle every weekend?  Within a few days of broadcast?
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on September 02, 2014, 09:01:48 PM
I don't watch much anime, I didn't know crunchyroll was just legal stuff.  I mean how long usually is it will be until someone puts it up on some service?  The 5 eps as a bundle every weekend?  Within a few days of broadcast?

That's what I'm saying though, we're not sure if this will get translated like that. Plenty of good shows go by and don't get translated or streamed. And the ones who are hoping Funimation picks this up understand this will be months after the series has already finished.

At best, I'm just expecting some japanese tv rips and we watch without understanding a damn word.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on September 02, 2014, 09:29:51 PMAt best, I'm just expecting some japanese tv rips and we watch without understanding a damn word.

Given that this has a good chance of being highly gag based, good enough for me at the moment.

I will point out that Funimation has started "simulcasting" some of their picked up series, putting up subtitled versions of them about an hour or so after the initial Japanese broadcast. They have done it with several series I wouldn't expect a company to give such special treatment to.

So I figure, as Tenchi has a sort of nostalgia factor going for it and thus is more viable than some other series they're "simulcasting", they might try to capitalize on that and try to get simulcast rights for it. I know Funi's not very popular here at all in terms of their dubbing but I think they do a fine job at the very least with subtitles, so there's that?

... but then again unless you wanna pay a premium you have to wait a week for them to let you see it. And of course it's only an option for US and Canada residents. I think maybe some Caribbean nations and Mexico might have the option too but I cannot confirm that.

Quote from: Mewshuji on September 03, 2014, 02:36:12 AMI know Funi's not very popular here at all in terms of their dubbing but I think they do a fine job at the very least with subtitles, so there's that?

I heard their dubbing improved from a decade ago, fans of some shows like High School DxD think the American dubbing is superior to the original but since I watch subs anyway, it's a nonfactor.  What I didn't like about Funi is how bad their DVDs looked compared to the Japanese R1s.  Shades put up comparison shots of R1 vs Funi GXP, and the Funimation screens were blurry in comparison.

Maybe they improved that in the meantime, but back then I didn't feel bad skipping on buying all the post-Pioneer discs for that low quality just so they could save on pressing a buck pressing an extra DVD or two.

On the one hand they really have improved. So many of their actors and actresses are wonderful, especially some of the newer ones. There are definitely some huge stinkers though, still. On the other some Funi "alums", so to speak, like Laura Bailey, Troy Baker and Travis Willingham are no longer working with Funi save for coming back once in a while for recurring roles or new roles they really like, and are definitely among the top English VAs altogether nowadays, not just for dubbing. Though I do suppose Funi probably put more time and funding into their shows than some of the other early dubs they did, like OVA3.

I suppose it goes back to the idea that even if you get amazing actors, a horrible director can ruin the whole thing. Same with voice acting with the VAs and the VD. And even with a great director, if you don't have enough money to fund more time in the booth, you gotta stick with the takes you got.

Sorry if I seem a bit... passionate about it. I really appreciate the American dubbing industry in spite of some of the horrible quality stuff it can push out at times. So I've looked into it a lot.  :duck:

However, that's sort of offtopic as most of your post ins't about that. As far as the discs go, oh, the quality is MARKEDLY better now even for just DVDs, and the BRs are great. I have no idea why they made them so trashy before, but I agree, I recently rewatched OAV 3 and I was wondering if there was something wrong with my TV. If it really was just worrying about profits maybe they shouldn't have put out the show at all? Gahh...

I just hope Crunchyroll gets it since usually Funi tends to fuck up on their streaming department. If none of the main 2 pick up the series then I just hope nyaa gets back up again. Wonder which fangroup is gonna sub it though.

Nyaa, HorribleSubs and a few other anime torrenting sites are still being DDoS'd. Some are pointing fingers at the Japanese Government doing it cause of that new piracy thing going on.

Well, they can just post it on the regular torrent sites instead.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Nyaa is back up if anyone is wondering. Typical scriptkiddie DDoS attacks.

Also I think it would be weird if someone did pick this up and sub it. It just seems so... unnatural. I don't know what goes into translating moonspeak but for a five minute show? I'll probably eat my words eventually.
This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

People have subbed minute and 1/2 to 4 minute long shows before (when not including the 15 second long ED). Tono to Issho is probably the best example I can think of. Up on CR.

They seemed to have stopped in the second season though, wonder why.

Maybe they will be released in 5-episode segments online?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki