What did you have for dinner?

Started by Kokoro, December 12, 2023, 06:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure if maybe I missed it, but is there a Dinner thread here?

I love cooking and baking, so I'm always looking for new and interesting stuff to try.  Like tonight, I'm making home made perogies!  What are you having tonight?

Often... take out. Not much of a cook. I can do it, but I'm lazy.
My mother did give me a pie cookbook recently. Essentially in apology for not being able to make anything for Thanksgiving. We went to Perkins for Thanksgiving, probably Golden Coral or Cracker Barrell for Christmas (The extended family is hundreds of miles away).
...in my pants

I'm too poor to afford eating out, even the basics at McDonald's is too expensive for me. (Besides, most places that offer cooked meals don't accept food stamps. LOL)  Maybe someday, I'll find a decent paying [desk] job...

Anyway, last night, I attempted to make perogies.  The filling was good, and while I fought with the dough (I think I did something wrong while making it), they turned out pretty good.  Next time, I might try adding a bit more oil to my frying pan to crisp them up a bit.  So tonight, I'm taking the five metric tons of potato and cheese filling I have left over, and I'm going to attempt potato cakes.... or something...

Today, I had a full course meal set up.  Homemade Berry filled Crab Rangoon, a Cheeseball, Chicken Cordon Bleu, and homemade eggnog Cheesecake.

Not sure if I'll get past the Crab Rangoon.  So yummy!

Festivus meal included chicken wings and fish and chips... from the local Chinese buffet.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

oooooh! A dinner thread!

One of my favorites is Mediterranean roast fish over vegetables. You can use any white fish or salt water fish up to salmon for the protein.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
Vegetable bed starts off with potatoes in olive oil with garlic, salt, and some white pepper. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 30 minutes.
While that is cooking, chop up a red bell pepper, an onion, add 1/4 cup of olives, and TBSP of dry oregano, and half TBSP of thyme. More salt and black pepper to taste. Set aside.
Fish "marinade" is olive oil, paprika, lemon juice, salt, and tarragon. Light on lemon juice, heavy on the paprika. Drizzle over the fish. Let sit until the above 30 minute cooking is done.
Remove the potatoes from the oven. Remove foil. Spread the remaining vegetables over them, mix. Set the fish on top of that. Put back in the oven and cook for another 22 minutes, or until the fish is done.
Voila! Some nice white wine goes well. The finished vegetables should be flavorsome. The olives should be like little flavor bursts in your mouth.