True tenchi novels volume 3.5 Night before the carnival: goodbye 21st century!

Started by Eff Efferson, February 19, 2017, 10:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'd like to thank astronerdboy For his help with this and just in general for being awesome. without his previous translation attempts I would have had nothing to double check my translation to, but i'm actually sure that his old translation notes on it were off a bit in parts and honestly kajishima speaks his own version of japanese so I understand why. but anyways, without astronerdboys website on tenchi i would have never known about the doujins and the novels to tenchi, his site has been a staple for over a decade and as someone who has ran and hosted their own website before i know that it is a thankless unforgiving hobby that costs money every year and is exhausting.

when i began this translation quest back in l think september of 2016, i just barely could read hiragana let alone katakana, despite taking it in highschool, but i'm a smart guy and the desire to polish my japanese skills was inspired by the general lack of clarity in the previous translations of these novels and by stumbling across the few translations of the doujins which made me realise just how far behind the fandom had gotten with the japanese material. and now honestly i now have translating down really well i can read katakana perfectly and the only thing i have trouble with is kanji but i'm learning more and more each day.

anyways here is the translation of the doujin that has always peaked my interest but never had a clear translation. after this i will be taking a bit of a break from all this and will come back after probably like a month but i need a break for now.

page 1

Summary of the foreword

This doujin was released in november 2001, gxp first aired in April of 2002 and washu was released in 1999, Because he was busy on of the development of the 3rd ova and gxp, Kajishima rushed out this doujin. he had written all of the supplementary information on the Juraian royal family, and to some extent he detailed the subject somewhat in the books, but there were things that he was intending to put in but were left out for the sake of story flow. so, he decided to use this doujinshi to introduce the backstory of the things which he was able to write few lines about in the novels. Because this is a doujinshi that is self published by Kajishima and not by aic, the things inside of it are not necessarily set in stone and things such as fine details and appearances may change by the time they are officially published. As far as kajishima is concerned though, the essential plot points for tenchi have been finalized in his head for a long time now and he views them as his own personal creation as much as he sees them as his job, but many people think of him as stubborn in getting his way with his work and he notes that he has to make sure to be a bit flexible.  Kajishima actually did all the conceptual art for ova 3 so long ago that when it came time to develop it he had to redo it all because technology had changed and even his art style had changed. The concepts were all done a long time ago but somethings weren’t finalised, the above picture actually has an old beta design for Noike Sakazua.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Page 2

This woman here is Masaki Jurai with her head ornaments taken off.
It’s actually a drawing of her when she was very young.

She was indirectly the reason that her older brother came accross Tsunami in the
first place. When she grew up she left on an exploratory journey, as was mentioned
in the novels.  Her Older brother desperately searched for her whereabouts,
but he never found her.It’s a historical fact on jurai that her disappearance was
a great source of grief and sadness for him.
Actually, that the reason she ran away was that her family put pressure on
her to bear an heir to the juraian name, they did the same thing
to her brother. One could say the tears he often wept were not tears of
sadness but ones of frustration.He often wished he had done the same.

The other picture is Masaki Jurai’s Astral copy with Tenchi’s son.
Who his mother is is a secret, but he had ran away to complain about her to Masaki..
Tenchi’s Son:"Listen up! My mother is so ~ ~"   
Masaki: "Yeah, I know, I know! My brother and I had the same~~~~”
The two talked and felt like kindred spirits. Eventually he got Tokimi to give Masaki a new version of her
old body. After that, Seto invited her to Jurai. She returned home for the first time after tens of thousands of years and it caused a big fuss, She and Tenchi’s son didn’t care for the drama caused by her arrival.They ran away from tenju, They eloped and became treasure hunters. They were discovered 50 years later by reporters who were reporting on a treasure hunting couple’s archeological finds. Tenchi was angry at them for running off and making him waste resources on searching for them, Tenchi’s son’s mother took away their archeological finds from them.

Ten years later they once again planned to leave home
but this time tenchi’s son and masaki’s six year old daughter
left them and ran away to Tenchi. 

When Masaki, Tenchi’s son’s spouse, came after her daughter
her daughter said:

"I don’t like Papa and Mama.
I want to live in a house like grandpa"
"I wonder who she takes after..." asked masaki
"Obviously She takes after you." said everyone unanimously
They didn’t want their daughter to hate them so they
set up a house where the spaceship on the moon was
and at washu’s request they began surveying ruins as their job.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
page 3

This woman here is Masaki Jurai with her head ornaments taken off.
It’s actually a drawing of her when she was very young.

She was indirectly the reason that her older brother came accross Tsunami in the first place.
When she grew up she left on an exploratory journey, as was mentioned in the novels. 
Her Older brother desperately searched for her whereabouts, but he never found her.
It’s a historical fact on jurai that her disappearance was a great source of grief and sadness for him.
Actually, that the reason she ran away was that her family put pressure on her to bear an heir to the juraian name, they did the same thing to her brother. One could say the tears he often wept were not tears of sadness but ones of frustration.He often wished he had done the same.

The other picture is Masaki Jurai’s Astral copy with Tenchi’s son.
Who his mother is is a secret, but he had ran away to complain about her to Masaki..
Tenchi’s Son:"Listen up! My mother is so ~ ~"
Masaki: "Yeah, I know, I know! My brother and I had the same~~~~”
The two talked and felt like kindred spirits.
Eventually he got Tokimi to give Masaki a new version of her old body. After that, Seto invited her to Jurai. She returned home for the first time after tens of thousands of years and it caused a big fuss, She and Tenchi’s son didn’t care for the drama caused by her arrival.They ran away from tenju, They eloped and became treasure hunters. They were discovered 50 years later by reporters who were reporting on a treasure hunting couple’s archeological finds. Tenchi was angry at them for running off and making him waste resources on searching for them, Tenchi’s son’s mother took away their archeological finds from them. Ten years later they once again planned to leave home but this time tenchi’s son and misaki’s six year old daughter left them and ran away to Tenchi. When Masaki, Tenchi’s son’s spouse, came after her daughter her daughter said:

"I don’t like Papa and Mama. I want to live in a house like grandpa"
"I wonder who she takes after..."
"Obviously She takes after you." said everyone
They didn’t want their daughter to hate them so they set up a house where the spaceship on the moon was and at washu’s request they began surveying ruins as their job.

----------------------------------------
Page 4

The Kamiki Family

The Kamiki Family wasn't a family with any notable features in the old days, however when the woman named Seto was adopted into the family, The kamiki house became regarded by many the most important house.  Seto is said to rule Jurai from the shadows so you can’t really argue the truth of that statement statement.
She has a strong personality and it has been said that Seto’s way is the way of the Kamiki House, however Seto has no desire to rule officially,  In fact it is well known that once the former King of jurai  tried to designate her as his successor but she rejected his offer in order to rehabilitate the then extinguished Masaki family line by training Azusa as a candidate for the throne.

This is a picture of seto when she was young and had just begun to earn her nickname as “The Devil Princess of Jurai” When she was young, she was only interested in women and instead of being " The Devil Princess" she was called "The onee-sama of jurai*", but she disbanded her harem because she lost a bet. Dealing with the aftermath of that, she began looking for a partner for marriage and her love of  arranging marriages began to take shape.

*Onee-sama or big sister is japanese slang for a lesbian Seme. in fact we now know that seto is in fact naja, and this is a large hint. it's also notable that at one point in the washu novel after naja watches washu teach a class she says to washu, 「でも、心配ごとがあるなら相談してね。一応貴女よりお姉さんなんだから」 If you need any thing  feel free to consult me after all at one time i was your big sister.

The first man that she thought would be suitable for marriage was Amame’s brother who was exiled for taking the blame for what happened with Mitsuki, but he married someone else and so they just became best friends and it didn’t develop any further. When Utsumi proposed to her after not talking to her for 200 years she thought to herself "well, I guess that will work" and accepted his proposal and got married.  She later fell in love with azusa and so she tried to give him her daughter as a wife.
Utsutsumi knows about Seto's feelings, but he would feel sorry for funaho and misaki if he let azusa have her.
His feelings for Seto are not exactly sexual, rather he just feels responsible for protecting her and he respects her highly.

---------------------------------------------
page 5

I don’t know what will happen in the future.

maybe there will be something with Azusa, tens of thousands of years later, after Utsutsumi's dies.

Maybe something like this perhaps:

Utsutsumi on his deathbed: "...... please, take care of Seto"
Azusa, reluctantly: "What!?"
Utsutsumi: "You have no choice! It’s my dying wish, now you're stuck with that old hag!"

Seto was awoken by a young Ututsumi when she was taking a nap in a garden full of Snow Kasumi Tree’s, she made a cruel joke and he took it seriously and married her 200 years later, if she hadn’t made that joke she would have married azusa though…

Although seto and utsutsumi had a good relationship, after misaki was born the two refrained from having any more children.

*there was more on how she fooled tsutsumi but it was all in yosho and contributed nothing. so i cut it out. blahblahblah he was dumb for believing her but he trained to be worthy of marrying her and that made him respect her even more. see  it adds nothing
page 6

The Amaki Family

The Amaki family has a reputation for being a family of troublemakers. Syuzan is a perfect example of this stereotype.

Mitsuki who was said to be the greatest beauty in all of Jurai also suffered from this family’s penchant for trouble, she had the strange ability to link with Tenju and the first generation Royal Tree. But her body was weak as a result of this and she accelerated her own death in order to bond azusa to his tree. (The first generation tree was unable to bond with azusa because her abilities were inadvertently keeping it from doing so.)
In the novel, Seto said  "From time to time I wonder... if Azusa-chan was born a little earlier..... would I'd be standing here having the same conversation with Mitsuki and Misaki instead.”  Mitsuki may have assimilated with Tsunami (as tenju), but for now she is assimilated with Kirito and watching over Azusa.

The drawing below is of a very young Mitsuki who was imprisoned, after her abilities were discovered and her father's betrayal.

One of Mitsuki's eyes was made of the sap of the Royal trees, in other words it was a Master Key. but it was not obtained by making a contract with the Royal tree, it was made by the degeneration of Mitsuki's eye due to her tears, the deterioration of her body caused her to link with Kirito which kept her alive. It could be said that in that situation, mitsuki was a sort of avatar for kirito, in fact Kirito wasn’t it’s name until Azusa named it and Mitsuki’s will was also in a way the will of the tree.

page 7
The picture below is Syūzan when he was young and met Mitsuki for the first time.  Syūzan, admired mitsuki, but as he grew up, his feelings towards her grew complex. Half of reason he was so angry with Azusa was that he was jealous of azusa being with his aunt. The Amaki family has born the majority of Emperor’s of Jurai,they take great pride in that fact and because of that syuzan was under a lot of pressure. However, Syūzan was unqualified to become the emperor, and he involved in a conspiracy plot that Seto uncovered.

The man in the side picture is syuzan in the present day, long after getting beat up by Funaho,  He has accepted defeat, and desire to be apart of the juraian royal administration is also gone.  He stepped down as head of the family and gave the title to his son and has grown round with age but spiritual and physically. His size is evident of just how stressful it can be to make an enemy of seto, it’s apparent by how he handled the stress she put on him that he was not suited to be emperor.

Syuzan: "Thinking about it now I wasted all that energy for no reason."
Seto: "Well, they say everyone goes through a rebellious phase i guess."
Syuzan: "Do you think my aunt felt the same way?"
Seto: "It's a fact that she was affectionate for you"

page 8
The Tatsuki Family

The Tatsuki family is the largest and most inconspicuous of the four houses, but they have a solid and powerful influence. They don't have as much charisma or leadership skills as the other houses do and few of them have ever been made emperor; in fact they rank just above the masaki house in that aspect. Most of the juraian royal women are known to be quite fiery in temperament, and it makes most foreign nations hesitant to marry them, but with the tatsuki house’s princesses are laid back and easygoing so people from foreign nations are always proposing to them.. Therefore, it is not an exaggeration to say that the Tatsuki family is responsible for almost all of the ties between the emperor of Jurai and other countries and large companies.
One time when seto tried arranging marriages for them she said,” I can’t stand you people ... ... this is so boring, You’ll marry anyone." They don’t satisfy her joy of arranging marriages. There is also a feeling that it has almost made a lot of work, it is often done to put it in a Tatsuki family and adopt her from there. Because they know that their family name is very popular they often adopt daughters and arrange for them to be married.
When syuzan was against azusa being emperor, it wasn’t the case that the head of the tatsuki’s didn’t like azusa, it was just that they were pressured by syuzan’s threatening disposition. They are gentle in nature and for that reason they are easily manipulated by the amaki family at times, which inevitably leads to seto getting involved. Because kotono, the head of the family is so timid seto really doesn't like putting pressure on him and only bugs them when things go really wrong. Seto feels kind of guilty when she bothers them.

page 9

Washu Bioroids
In a novels there are things called "seeds" which are mentioned several times, but never defined, They were things which various precursor races used to seed life like theirs on to other planets . It is a thing commonly used in science fiction and the like as a weapon of  interstellar warfare, but in this case it’s more of a product of the instinct of a species's in declining that wanted to preserve its civilization by seeding itself all over the galaxy. You can think of it as a sort of space traveling sperm bank of sorts.
By the way the civilization that carried out the seed program is referred to as the Great prehistoric civilization in the tenchi world and it appears all over the place especially near the end of gxp*

*(in fact as of 2017 we now now that this is the civilization of earth from DUAL! That this refers to, its said to take place about 1 billion years before gxp and there were a few other seeds carried out by other civilizations like the Wau as well. For slightly more on this check out Spaceship Agga Ruter, Its unproduced episode doujinshi and it’s visual novel.)

about 100 thousand years before the Great precursor civilization, according to the Galaxy Academy, the galaxy's oldest civilization created three Washu clones. They were Combat Purpose Bioloid Prototypes.
Let us call them B1 (next page down), B2 (up next page), B3 (up and down of this page).

Each of them was given a mysterious jewel. B1 in the neck, B2 in her right hand,  and B3 in her chest, but B3 was originally supposed to have hers attached to the left hand and his caused her to break free from the control of the country that made her and runaway. But the detailed reasons of why this happened and why they were made will be explained in the novel version, so i will leave it out here *  But i can say that they were made for military purposes.

After collecting the data, since the b’s were meant to be used  for combat, they sent b1 and b2 after b3 to destroy her.  This caused interstellar war to break out. The battle was conducted mostly between bioroids and ended up driving most civilizations of the era into an unrecoverable state of collapse. When the battle was over B3 managed to defeat B2, however she was on the verge of death, was defeated by B1.

*(this was written post the release of washu actually and as of 2017 it has not appeared in any of the novels. He said once if all things go to plan i will publish it in the winter issue 2000 of the doujin, and it didn’t go to plan from what i can tell instead gxp #0 came out with no bioroid story but who knows i'll keep translating till i find it or don't if it doesn't exist i guess...)

page 10
B1 killed B3 who killed B2, and she acquired all three gems, and she tried to kill the original washu that she was cloned from who had been sealed by B1’s creators. But when she tried Tsunami, who was awakened by B3’s dying scream appeared and killed B1.
Those who witnessed Tsunami’s appearance went on to participate in the beginnings of the Great Precursor civilization,But that story will be published during the next year winter's "omatsuri" doujin, as long as everything goes as scheduled.*

after these events Washu was abandoned, and sealed in a planet where she wandered for 1 billion years until she awoke again when the seal deteriorated. That is when the Washu novel starts.

*we now know that this means that this was the moment that the people who got the seeds for ZINV and possibly HIMC got them, but as far as i can tell the next doujin was gxp ban 0 and i am unsure as to it’s contents on this subject.

The thing that became the basis for tenchi’s plot structure was a concept that kajishima came up with in highschool. So it's a universe that he had been expanding on since the 80’s and he isn’t sure how much more it will expand but everyone of his works are in the same universe and it is in fact possible to establish a connection between them all. He doesn’t know to what extent he will be able to publish them as animes but these days there are novels and doujins so he isn’t all that worried about it.

His intention of presenting the washu clone story was to help make OVA3* and the washu novel  more comprehensible but he wanted to present other issues in the OVA and feels though that if he does everything as he originally planned then the story might become really incomprehensible.

*Originally OVA 3 was meant to be much longer and cover more story but it was ended prematurely, so while this statements makes no sense in hindsight, it may be that in the future this might come up and have importance.
page 11
It might be a little difficult to understand the picture on the left but washu had been sealed to keep her from regaining consciousness, she was trying to return to her original size but the equipment that sealed her in kept her compressed by about 10,000 kilometers, Washu trying to return to its original size is compressed by 10,000 kilometers sparingly by the planetary equipment It is what I am doing. The reason why her physical body appears here in child form is that she was attempting to gain control over her size by regressing into that form, but it didn’t work.

By the way, it was possible to physically reach washu while she was like this but it was a bit life threatening to do so. Her body had various defense mechanisms that often ended up killing those who tried and if she was disturbed often would wake up and if she woke up she tended to retaliate so it was a good idea to just look at her and appreciate the view instead of messing with her, but sometimes she also would wake up if someone nearby emanated strange energy so it was also dangerous just to look at her really.

After Tsunami defeated b3 and gave back washu’s gems to her, she stabilized herself and  returns to a human size and, for a while, *she was seen wearing clothes similar to those in the Washu novel’s illustrations. Well, you can say that washu is a tough lady to deal with, and it doesn't matter in what era of her’s you’re talking about..

In the drawing below is B3 and a boy that became her friend, after her escape and B3 and being annihilated by B1.* To the lower right is the outfit that was being referred to.

page 12 this afterword is like most of his afterwords a giant rambling mess so im not translating it. i will post the raw computer translation instead
Postwritten port
Well ... Oh ... ... Well, it is my upcoming work schedule, but what I have decided to persistently say last year since last year, TV "Takkyubin (preliminary) of GXP GP" and "Tenchi useless It is two of ship emperor (third period). Next time ... maybe ... I will broadcast on next year, I think I can sell it (I thought the adult world would be dirty if I did not do this). Broadcasting stations etc. have not yet been decided, but because they want to make it terrestrial, I think that you will be able to see more people than "DUAL!", Apart from good or bad I will be able to hear opinions. As of June, GXP has already completed 26 scenarios in total, and it is a very satisfying content personally. TID U AL! Go - RP ž L Ž M Ž) A Mo 7 I am looking forward very much because I also wanted to do things I wanted to do. This time is going to involve as much as possible to the production of the work itself, but I can not say what was clear because there is a balance with the third term of Tenchi, but now I draw only one story. As I wrote in the book, my work is based on a single physical law world ("Photon" is a slightly different line, but the upper one is connected). I will aim to complete the big epic (?) In the future, but I do not know if I can make it. Tentatively GXP is its first step. Well, it is the 3rd term of Tenchi, but it is finally the director this time. There was also an opinion that most of the time (attitude) is the same as the director, so why did you say that you can not escape at last? However, it is a question of how to do drawing relations. I do not have the speed enough to concurrently serve both character design and total drawing director and supervision. I think that it is after the preparations before entering the original picture are over, but it is not likely to say so. Tenchi with uneasiness in the unknown area · · · · · · · Well if you touched the content thing whether it will open up again or not as to whether it is reasonable or not, supplementing with novel etc I will make unkind to become! I will become ... ... I am sorry. What kind of evaluation it will take place in the second phase, but I am planning to know it in advance. ..., but I would like to say that I will omit the setting explanation omitting the setting explanation. · In that sense it may be a professional disqualified work, but everyone involved, sorry about the stuff involved. If you are watching this, if someone who took part in heaven and earth had come, please join us with casual attention ... couscous. Even so, I started making Tenchi and have had various experiences to date. I felt a lot of contradiction in good things, bad things, common sense in production. However, although I refuse it in advance because of the honor of others, I will make no mistake that I am biased, in fact, I realize that my opinion is wrong There are also a few occurred events, the one who received the direct strike of the Kagoshima group Wegamama typhoon was a big disaster · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · · It is also a fact that I've been touched, I still think so. It has been five or six years since the end of the second term · In the meantime, there were many stories saying the third term of Tenchi, but I could not shake my head vertically. There are personal circumstances, there are things that are not so. In fact, the big money and the things that a lot of people move are not so easily timed with each other. However, while I was doing that, I was occupied by the common sense that I thought would not go down ... Six years have eroded my mind. I thought variously to get rid of the monster. And again what I recognized was ... novelty. What I wanted to do with Tenchi · No, what I wanted to do and made Tenchi ... .... When I noticed it, my determination to do Tenchi came. And it should be an indicator of your way forward. However, it does not mean to make things like one period, and the possibility of becoming a completely different thing is higher. Tenchi is already going on 13 episodes. What is yourself looking for, the blue you want to reach

page 13 still part of the afterword

I do not have pictures, but one thing I can say is that Kajima wants to see Kajima ... I just want to make a comfortable thing. Perhaps it may not be a finished product ... but it does not mean never immature. Although I say myself myself with biased things, it is also a personality in a good sense. Whatever such as One Padthan! Kajima can decide to make things that you can make ~ ~, here you declare (note, original only). It's pretty cool! (It's not a hot spring) It's what you want to see!
Finally, I hope that there are people who can support Kajima's desired things ... o
Fukushima Prestige
Bridge awareness tree design 2
Mixed powder simplified @ Rose 2 惱 1
Guangdong day August 11, 2001 癸 行 越 島 泉 温泉 癸 行人 シ ュ ク シ ョ 島 松 正 絵 綠 社 社 社
Prohibited, unchecked

currently editing come back later
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

now with pictures:http://imgur.com/a/slJFf

i'm not the best photo editor if anyone wants to redo this hey the text is all here. also not touching the end word ... too much damn text. not enough patience
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I think that the mysterious orb Z was desperately trying to reach was the structure Washu was being kept in... We saw the defense mechanisms and all that, the only thing that seems odd is that this doujin says Washu woulda probly woke up or noticed Z, when in fact it was Tokimi who noticed.

People in the west used to believe Z was attacking something of Tokimi's, but if this bioroid story is truly relevant to OVA 3, I think this is why. We've always known that the boy with B3 had similar eyes, eyebrows, and ears to Z. IT'S ALL COMING TOGETHER YO! But why didn't Washu appear?

Interstellar war, defense mechanisms, divine intervention, similar looking characters, relevance to OVA3... I think it was Washu they were attacking. And yes, Kajishima, this does make OVA3 make more sense, but WHY COULDN'T YOU FINISH THE STORY!???

Curse you Nabeshin!!!

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on February 25, 2017, 01:21:08 PM
now with pictures

Honestly Kajmeister is the Pokémon-scale creator behind all of this hoopla, more power to him.