OVA 4 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, December 30, 2015, 09:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GP cadet 87 on December 23, 2016, 02:04:55 AM
Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on December 23, 2016, 12:30:17 AM
I know that Kajishima-sensei established Mikami as looking younger in the doujinshi and other places. I've never been a fan of that though. Then again, I'm not sure how old she really is.

That said, it should also mean that Minami has a similar, young look.

I know it's your personal opinion, but can you elaborate, because I find that a bit confusing. Seto is stated to be at least 6000 years old IIRC, and barely looks into her 40s. Hell, even she teases Seina a little bit. Life extension tech is widespread throughout the galaxy. Mikami considers her true self to be extremely attractive; I assume she puts on the old lady disguise just to avoid being hit on everywhere.

That's also why I find Airi's sensitivity about her age so funny. At best she looks to be into her early '30's, in peak physical condition.

That's one reason why I envy Tenchi and Seina quite a bit. The girls will look beautiful for many centuries to come.  :heysexy:

from gxp vol 1 chapter 4 :
"oh, is that so..."
    I see...in other words...
   "...airi-san, is Tenchi-senpai's grandma!"
   "Don't call me grandma!"
Immediatly her expression changed to that of a serious roaring demon.
   "Pardon me!"
   "Seina-kun, I want to be to be seen as a young beautiful woman. There is no reason to call me grandma, don't you agree hmm"
    Airi unexpectedly moved to snuggled up to Seina's shoulder.     

i think airi is sensitive about her grandma status because she had minaho while she was super young even by earth stadards and im pretty sure yosho just ran off. so for longer then she's ever been a young childness bachellorette she has been a  single mother. not to mention minaho is bitter about being an age considered to be basicly an old maid at this point. airi isnt much older. but yeah its hillarious because she looks like she is amanes age.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Ah, the old "Christmas cake" trope; I wasn't sure, thanks for clearing that up.

I think it's safe to say that Kajishima-sensei has taken that joke to its logical absurdity lol.

December 23, 2016, 08:16:26 PM #302 Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:45:12 PM by moriohchou
Well I watched it and I have to say it does feel good to have Tenchi back but the pace is really slow.  While I liked the slice of life, Most of it was almost too much introduction.  The wedding better take place next episode or it will really drag. 

Seina also had a much more of a presence than I expected.  They took up almost the entire 1st half talking about him.  Just from this episode I'd say it takes place around the 6th GXP Volume as Mikami had then shown her true form and she says "This season a new recruit with a bright future just entered" and Tsukiko mentions that Kiriko has just made her resolve and looking through the first 6 volumes you can see that "resolve". 

Also, Minaho's final words don't have the nuance of asking Tenchi to go on a date.  The phrase can be used for that and in most anime, most characters will misunderstand it for that for that, mostly for the laughs, but its more along the lines of "just come along with me".  She basically wants to spend a full day of so alone with Tenchi, but its not in a romantic sense.  Tenchi says as soon as he sees her that she reminds him of Kiyone.  Its due to his he blushes most of the time.

December 23, 2016, 10:36:08 PM #303 Last Edit: December 24, 2016, 05:21:03 PM by Fap_fapperson
 :lies:
Quote from: moriohchou on December 23, 2016, 08:16:26 PM
Well I watched it and I have to say it does feel good to have Tenchi back but the pace is really slow.  While I liked the slice of life, Most of it was almost too much introduction.  The wedding better take place next episode or it will really drag. 

Seina also had a much more of a presence than I expected.  They took up almost the entire 1st half talking about him.  Just from this episode I'd say it takes place around the 5th GXP Volume as Mikami had then shown her true form and she says "This season a new recruit with a bright future just entered" and Tsukiko mentions that Kiriko has just made her resolve and looking through the first 6 volumes you can see that "resolve". 

Also, Minaho's final words don't have the nuance of asking Tenchi to go on a date.  The phrase can be used for that and in most anime, most characters will misunderstand it for that for that, mostly for the laughs, but its more along the lines of "just come along with me".  She basically wants to spend a full day of so alone with Tenchi, but its not in a romantic sense.  Tenchi says as soon as he sees her that she reminds him of Kiyone.  Its due to his he blushes most of the time.
finaly someone backs up my theory
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I know that Kajishima-sensei established Mikami as looking younger in the doujinshi and other places. I've never been a fan of that though. Then again, I'm not sure how old she really is.

I know it's your personal opinion, but can you elaborate, because I find that a bit confusing.

Here is my problem with it. While I know that everyone outside of Earth can live a long time, the fact that Mikami (and apparently Minami) disguise themselves as older people comes off as stupid to me. When Yosho did it, there was a genuine purpose to it. As someone who'd bonded with a Royal Tree and drunk the special water, Yosho can live a couple thousand years, which is something like 10 times longer than a normal Juraian. So having Funaho-ki give him an alternate appearance of an older man makes sense considering the surrounding.

The Kuramitsu family are long lived. So I don't have a problem with Mikami being a few hundred years old. However, in GXP, Mikami is an older, mature, respectable woman who's in charge of Galaxy Police Academy. However old Mikami was in GXP, I figured her appearance is her appearance. Maybe she's 250 years old. Whatever. And since the Kuramitsu family is a very powerful, well known family, there's no reason people wouldn't know they live a long time.

For this first episode of OVA 4, Kajishima-sensei gets to pull an element from the GXP novels (and his doujinshi) of "sexy Mikami" into the anime. Suddenly, Mikami is reduced from being a sensible, mature, older, intelligent, respectable, middle age woman from a powerful family in the galaxy who's also in charge of the Galaxy Police Academy to being some "bitch in heat" (pardon the expression) who wants to bang an underage teen boy. Further, this "bitch in heat" version of Mikami is apparently her true form. Seriously?

If the scene were Mikami using a disguise to appear as she did in her younger years as a means of tweaking the others, then I'd probably be OK with it. But if this is Mikami's true form, then it reduces her as a character to stupidity. Further, it makes no sense to me for her to wear an older woman disguise. Ditto Minami with his older man disguise.

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on December 24, 2016, 01:01:30 PM

I know it's your personal opinion, but can you elaborate, because I find that a bit confusing.

Here is my problem with it. While I know that everyone outside of Earth can live a long time, the fact that Mikami (and apparently Minami) disguise themselves as older people comes off as stupid to me. When Yosho did it, there was a genuine purpose to it. As someone who'd bonded with a Royal Tree and drunk the special water, Yosho can live a couple thousand years, which is something like 10 times longer than a normal Juraian. So having Funaho-ki give him an alternate appearance of an older man makes sense considering the surrounding.

The Kuramitsu family are long lived. So I don't have a problem with Mikami being a few hundred years old. However, in GXP, Mikami is an older, mature, respectable woman who's in charge of Galaxy Police Academy. However old Mikami was in GXP, I figured her appearance is her appearance. Maybe she's 250 years old. Whatever. And since the Kuramitsu family is a very powerful, well known family, there's no reason people wouldn't know they live a long time.

For this first episode of OVA 4, Kajishima-sensei gets to pull an element from the GXP novels (and his doujinshi) of "sexy Mikami" into the anime. Suddenly, Mikami is reduced from being a sensible, mature, older, intelligent, respectable, middle age woman from a powerful family in the galaxy who's also in charge of the Galaxy Police Academy to being some "bitch in heat" (pardon the expression) who wants to bang an underage teen boy. Further, this "bitch in heat" version of Mikami is apparently her true form. Seriously?

If the scene were Mikami using a disguise to appear as she did in her younger years as a means of tweaking the others, then I'd probably be OK with it. But if this is Mikami's true form, then it reduces her as a character to stupidity. Further, it makes no sense to me for her to wear an older woman disguise. Ditto Minami with his older man disguise.

Mikami's old form is basically to me a way of showing more authority.  It also has a kinder atmosphere than her true form. In vol 10, when they have just defeated the good luck fleet for the first  time and are having a vacation in that tropical island, called Imu-Imu, Mikami and seto both come along and Mikami, while looking kind is actually absolutely ruthless in getting what she wants from people.  The old form is basically showing that she's not as scary as she was when she was younger. In vol 10, it's said that she was even more of a "ruffian" than Seto was back in the day. She even went and picked fights with Seto, who you never pick fights with.

Just wanted to wish everyone  Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays in case I can't drop in tomorrow.

Merry Christmas.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

December 25, 2016, 02:23:08 PM #308 Last Edit: December 25, 2016, 09:53:56 PM by GP cadet 87
Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on December 24, 2016, 01:01:30 PM

If the scene were Mikami using a disguise to appear as she did in her younger years as a means of tweaking the others, then I'd probably be OK with it. But if this is Mikami's true form, then it reduces her as a character to stupidity.

I think you may be making unfair assumptions about her personality when we can't see the whole picture, not having full access to the extra material. Before you say anything, I've read your TM FAQ and I know how much work you've done to get info about all of that. Thank you for the hard work btw. 

I see Mikami as similar to Misato Katsuragi, a calm cool professional on duty, a laid back, flirty party girl at home.

Like I said, she may wear the disguise to give herself an air of authority and make her subordinates take her seriously. Let's face it, her true form would be a constant distraction.

I will agree that her pursuit of Seina is quite disconcerting, if not outright squicky. There's actually a funny bit of dialogue in the first OVA 4 episode where Mikami calls out Tenyo and Airi for being hypocrites, considering their iffy behavior with Tenchi (I'm guessing, judging by the tone she uses and the Japanese words I recognize). Let's be fair to Kajishima; the GXP series changed a lot of his original ideas. For all we know it was always his intent to have Mikami be young and sexy.

Then again, all of Seina's love interests are significantly older than him, except Ryoko Balta who according to the Tenchi wiki, is only 19. Neeju is over 2,000 years old, for God's sake!  By Earth standards, all of Seina's love interests, especially Kiriko, who is chronologically/biologically 33, would be considered odd, if not outright deviants, for being in a relationship with him. 

We all know how weird Tenchi's love life is, but it's become less disconcerting in his case because he's now clearly an adult. Think about it; Seina calls Tenchi his "senpai" which means at best they are 3-5 years apart in age. What's the big difference between Tenchi and Seina's harem? I mean, besides the whole family tree issue. Ryoko Ayeka and Mihoshi are at least mentally the same age as Tenchi. Let's not forget Washu; irregardless of their true natures, mentally she is many millennia older than Tenchi, and has explicitly said she wants to bear his child. By comparison, Seina is involved with older women too, but outside of Kiriko and Neeju of course, the age gap of his haremettes is far less severe.

I understand why you would find Mikami's behavior upsetting, I really do. But calling her "a bitch in heat" seems a bit harsh. Amane by contrast, was far more brazen with her flirting in the GXP TV series. You can explain away some of her flirting early on by saying that she was just messing with Kiriko and Seiryo, but by episode 7/8 she:

Does sexy poses to get a reaction out of him, shows up in nothing but her underwear at the dining room table, uses Seina's personal bathroom, doesn't bat an eye at having her panties around her ankles  when he sees her either, and invites him to share a bath with her. And on top of that, she's his instructor. If Mikami is a "bitch in heat", Amane is a nymphomaniac.  :heysexy:

This may be a case of severe values dissonance, as often happens with anime. I just found out a few days ago by pure coincidence that the age of consent in Japan is 13 (it varies region by region, but 13 is the bare minimum for girls/boys to engage in a romantic/sexual relationship with parental consent at the national level). Here's a link: https://www.ageofconsent.net/world/japan  So, whether we agree with it or not, apparently from Kajishima-sensei's perspective, Seina is fair game for older women. Though considering that all of his stories contain an older love interest, it may be a fetish of his more then anything involving Japanese culture.

I think this is worth opening up another thread, if anyone is interested to discuss the issue.

Mikami Kuramitsu's age is suppose to be ten thousand years.  I like her old age look in GXP since it had given Mikami a sign of authority, and respect.  For a country like Japan, the elderly are given a lot of respect, and honor.  I did suggest that Mikami have inherited her paternal grandmother Washu's ability to change her looks. One of Washu's reasons for remaining in the image of a child was due to her hatred of class priviledges which most powerful families like the Kuramitsu Family has.  I do think that Washu had simply gotten used to liking the image of a twelve-year-old girl.

Mikami will have learn about Washu being one of the three Chousin Sisters.  She could have learn about Washu being her grandmother sometime in the past.  Since Mikami is one of the most powerful members of the Kuramitsu, she will have some critical knowledge of Washu being her paternal grandmother. Mikami would have kept any knowledge of Washu being her grandmother a secret.

I do like Mikami's younger image.  Mikami's older self can be a disguise.  She will notice that her elder image will give Mikami a better look as an authority figure.  As the headmistress of the Galaxy Police Branch of the Galaxy Academy, Mikami will find her elder image less of a major distraction as well as an image of authority.

:how: :rwhy: :huhm:

If OVA 4 was going to have six episodes,  Mikami will have likely visit the Earth to see Washu.  Mikami's reasons for seeing Washu are mostly going to be political reasons.  Indeed, rest of Mikam's reasons are primary personal.  While Mikami main reasons for seeing Washu are focus on developing an alliance between Washu and the Seniwan Empire,  some of her reasons will focus on secret reconcilation between Washu and the Kuramitsu Family.

Just saw the first episode and Stuff happened! I guess, cept for mostly names a few worlds I've picked up over the years, no clue what was happening really, maybe a visual clue here or there

So tenchi is washing his aunt back now in the next epsiode

We don't know whose hands those are.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."