OVA 4 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, December 30, 2015, 09:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
December 31, 2016, 11:13:26 AM #345 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 12:06:06 PM by Andraste
Quote from: جبريل 無道 on December 30, 2016, 11:49:19 PM
Now he has that sexy farmer's body, it's even better! :)

Carrot farming is good for the bod apparently. :smug:

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on December 31, 2016, 03:16:31 AM
honestly i'm kind of enjoying it not being subbed.
:staredog: :dogout:

>posts several links showing anyone can shell out 20-30 bucks to have this stuff translated and subbed in 3 days
Quote from: antvasima on December 31, 2016, 05:43:15 AM
Petitioning different fansub groups seems like a good idea.

Shouldn't we get a higher quality rip? I dont mind the current quality but some seem to.

December 31, 2016, 11:41:11 AM #346 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:49:44 AM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: جبريل 無道 on December 30, 2016, 11:10:12 PM
That the other forum has no interest in subbing OAV4 is absolutely no surprise to anyone that's been around for a while.  AND THEY DON'T OWE ANYONE A TRANSLATION FOR ANYTHING.  JUST LIKE WE DON'T.  People doing their own thing on their own time for free and all that.

Since there are a lot of fandom neophytes are joining now, here is my quick VERY GENERALIZED rundown of Tenchi / fandom history, not that it really matters:
QuoteThe absolute heyday of Tenchi Muyo in the JAPANESE fandom was from 1992 (OAV1 start) to 1998ish (TinT), probably peaking around 1995.   This is going by the merchandise (games, calenders, etc) and the number and dates of fan doujins listed on Tenchi.org.  There's a reason TinT (1998) was the last TV show until GXP and TMiL2 (1999) the last movie.

In the US, it was much later, from the late 90s (1996? onward) to 2002ish.  Adult Swim on Toonami aired it in 2000 iirc and that was the peak in the English speaking world.  There were several fanfiction sites just dedicated to it, many, many, many geocities fan sites, and at least 20ish forums of varying sizes.  It was already in some decline by time OAV3 was announced simply because it hadn't been on steady television rotation anymore for a while.

In both markets, the series has shown staying power although it's not the absolute anime fad it once was in the 1990s.

Japan is also by far the most important market.  Japanese fans will spend WAY MORE $$$.  They buy these expensive discs at $70 an episode and they'll buy all that glorious high margin MERCHANDISING the western fans will never see.  Calendars, figures, keychains, doujins, etc.  The western consumer wants to pay $40-50 for the entire box set on release, add in the expense of translations/dubbing and a niche market and we're simply not that important.  We're just a lump sum licensing fee since Pioneer faded away.

For another example on market differences: fan expectations.  The most popular girl in Japan was (is?) Sasami by far.  That's why she got her own 3 ep OAV, and 2 seperate 26 episode TV shows, Sasami Stories in the Okuda manga, etc.  Yes, purely Pretty Sammyish stuff has almost as many anime episodes as all Tenchi Muyo franchise proper, the 00's Magical Girl's Club show is rarely even mentioned by title in fan circles while it got a second season in Japan.  They even Sasami-fied TMiL 2's ending with a sequel manga called "Eternal Memory", speculatively because of Japanese fans being upset.  In the west, the most popular girl is Ryoko, and this will play on OTP biases.

There was also a great mound of misinformation here in the west in the early days that's still spread around, baseless speculations taken as gospel, bad translations (OAV1, Tenchi's griefstricken cry of "Mom" got turned into "Grandma!" in english -- leading to years of an entire unnecessary "true" mom Achika debate that Japanese fans never "enjoyed"), lack of access/translation to many printed materials and japanese web discussion.  Casual TV fans didn't even realize that different continuities existed.  To most of them, Tenchi simply was the guy who saved all the girls from both space pirate/would-be-King Kagatos, got sucked back in time by Kain, was kidnapped by Haruna, and was the jerk who left the girls to go to Tokyo and be with Sakuya.  PURE INFORMATION SPAGHETTI.

Through all that confusion, a ton of fans were mostly interested in rooting their OTP (one true pairing) that harbored expectations for future TMs the Japanese simply didn't have, and a second ton of fans were interested in the original Tenchi Muyo world itself aside any OTP considerations.    Before OAV3 was released, many western Kajishima fans essentially warned everyone, "TM!R isn't an OTP series.  MK's history of animes shows this."  After much argument, it finally sank in, many OTP fans turned against MK before OAV3 even aired a single episode and the two groups have been clashing since.  Granted, OAV3 was not spectacular and rightly deserved criticism but just realize this deep hatred for OAV3 a decade later doesn't originate in what actually happened in the anime itself, those 7 episodes aren't the wellspring of their vile but what they now KNOW is coming vs what the expectations that were built up by the circumstances.

This fundamental schism ran deep down the western fandom and spread to many boards, it caused a lot of topics to transition into tired arguments upon arguments upon arguments upon arguments ad nauseum.  Until around 2010 iirc, by then the fandom basically got whittled down to one single forum where the bickering continued unabated, and a divorce between these two groups was finally initiated and both went their own way.

And it was the single best thing to happen to all concerned.  That's basically how UselessTenchi and the other forum came about.  A tiresome decade of nonstop bickering ended, everyone needed a break and got to focus on what was important to them and finally be fannish what they want to be fannish about without constantly being defensive or presenting it with apology.  Everyone benefited from the arrangement.  And now you all see the friction when the two try to come together again... don't force fan family reunions.

Also don't believe anyone trying represent themselves or their group as the ONE AND ONLY overriding voice of the fandom... the #1 true definitive fansite in the entire known multiverse or whatever, there's no such thing.  As long as just two fans exist of anything, there will be at least two different viewpoints.

So let's not get into forum wars.  OAV4 has an entire year of episode releases, I'm sure it will be translated eventually.

This entire speech right here deserves a series of golf claps.  Not just one.  It pretty much sums the point I was trying to get across along with pretty much everyone else here.  The problem we have is not the fact that they're the only voice in the fanbase (Bottom line, as Jibs said, they're NOT the only such voice and neither is anyone else), but they're trying to flamebait us and stir up horse manure... after a 10 year wait for OVA 4 to finally happen.  Combined with the fact that Ai's failure means that OVA 4 has a bat's chance in Hades of getting licensed right now, it's kind of like kicking us when we're already knocked down.  That's what's frustrating about the whole thing... but we can't let them get to us.

TLDR Let's not stir the pot.  I expressed my frustration towards them here, yes, but I do not plan on starting or taking part in a forum war, and I refuse to do so.  That's the kind of thing that tears fanbases apart.  Let's keep it clean, folks.  :)

^ This.  With Crunchy now a thing, the fansub groups as a whole don't have to focus on a bunch of franchises at once like was the case back in the day.  There is more than likely a fansub group who would likely get it done... all we have to do is ask around.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

>posts several links showing anyone can shell out 20-30 bucks to have this stuff translated and subbed in 3 days

>everyone ignores... acts like there's no way!

>resisttheurgetocallthemallcasualneets.jpeg

nah but  honestly i'm kind of enjoying it not being subbed. i feel like this forums really picked up since everyones always checking to see if its happened yet

For me - and probably others - we have seen the posts.... weighed the options to just "shell out 20-30 bucks", but :

• Most of the links the group/person wants it to have simulcast/transcripts/or closed captions - if not, they charge even more or (more than likely) wont accept...(doesn't exactly instill confidence in their ability to translate)

• The one or two that seem to actually translate with any source - how do we know the quality of the translation? - Personally I have not knowingly seen their work nor used them.
         Sure this could be said about any translation - but with groups - typically there are a couple translators and/or quality check - it isn't coming from pocket - and is more mainstream, so bad translations are more likely to be spotted and be vocalized.

The fandom services seems like the best bet - though do not list any type of pricing....

Ultimately I'm not to the point that where I think that it won't be picked up in the relative near future.  So I will sit on it a bit longer before I just shell out the cash...

-=Though=- if we can get 10-15 willing to drop a couple dollars - I'm right there.

Quote from: Andraste on December 31, 2016, 11:13:26 AM
Shouldn't we get a higher quality rip? I dont mind the current quality but some seem to.
I was checking them out. Thanks for linking.

I don't think it matters - someone can post a higher quality raw at anytime - then just need to extract the subs and remux, maybe a little timing.

I would encourage everybody to please listen to Jibril. We do not need any pointless fandom wars because of this.

Quote from: WarOmnimon on December 31, 2016, 11:41:11 AM

TLDR Let's not stir the pot.  I expressed my frustration towards them here, yes, but I do not plan on starting or taking part in a forum war, and I refuse to do so.  That's the kind of thing that tears fanbases apart.  Let's keep it clean, folks.  :)

If these are in response to my post - it was not my intent, I was truly just stating my surprise at the situation, and that's probably because I wasn't around for things in the past.

December 31, 2016, 01:12:41 PM #348 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 01:24:55 PM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: khaos11 on December 31, 2016, 12:06:09 PM
For me - and probably others - we have seen the posts.... weighed the options to just "shell out 20-30 bucks", but :

• Most of the links the group/person wants it to have simulcast/transcripts/or closed captions - if not, they charge even more or (more than likely) wont accept...(doesn't exactly instill confidence in their ability to translate)

This is also what I'm worried about.  From what I've heard, there's no closed captions involved with the OVA 4 BluRays.  Which dampens our options much more given that the fansub groups are basically saying, as noted, "closed captions or transcripts or we won't do it".  And given that there's no word of a licensed release (Which I have a gut feeling that at least Crunchy would have picked it up by now had Ai not bombed)... yeah, we have every right in the world to be worried right now.

Semi related.  The "oh no Crunchy didn't pick it up!" logic isn't hitting just Tenchi.  It's hitting Digimon pretty hard too right now, and perhaps with worse logic than what is being applied with OVA 4.  The current TV series, Digimon Universe Appli Monsters, has yet to be picked up by Crunchy, whereas every prior season, including Digimon Xros Wars: Young Hunters of all things (Which like Ai also bombed in Japan I must note) was.  Digimon Adventure Tri was picked up, and that's an OVA released in a similar way to Gundam Unicorn, so you'd think that given Tri got picked up, Appmon would also... but nope.  Strange stuff, folks.

Quote from: khaos11 on December 31, 2016, 12:06:09 PM
If these are in response to my post - it was not my intent, I was truly just stating my surprise at the situation, and that's probably because I wasn't around for things in the past.

Nah.  In my case, it wasn't in response to your post, or anyone else's for that matter.  It was just me reiterating the point that Jibs made is all.  Take a breather, man.

Also, closing thought.  If it becomes necessary, I will make a recommendation that one of the admins could take all this talk about the "OVA 4 might not get English subs oh no!" drama from here and move it into a separate thread.  That way, we can continue talking about OVA 4 in this thread (Which is the intended purpose after all) and this discussion here and now can be bought to it's own thread.  The way it should be - fair, balanced, and organized.  :)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

Digimon Adventure Tri isn't an OVA. It's a series of films.

I'm diggin it.

December 31, 2016, 04:48:54 PM #351 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:03:15 PM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: Ryo-Okay on December 31, 2016, 01:40:15 PM
Digimon Adventure Tri isn't an OVA. It's a series of films.

Series of films, yes... but then VERY quickly released to video (In fact, same day digital even in Japan).  Hence the comparison that the Digimon fanbase (Which I'm an active part of I should note) makes to Gundam Unicorn.  The same thing happened there, and IIRC, Unicorn was considered an OVA.  But that's getting too off topic from the Tenchi OVA 4 stuff... so now I'll make the recommendation that this discussion about the subs and so forth gets split off into a separate thread from the OVA 4 discussion.  *Presses the Call Steward button*  ;)

Quote from: Y_Anthony_Who on December 31, 2016, 01:42:44 PM
I'm diggin it.

;)

December 31, 2016, 07:10:45 PM #352 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 08:46:45 PM by Andraste
Quote from: Andraste on December 31, 2016, 11:13:26 AM

Carrot farming is good for the bod apparently. :smug:

I fixed it.
That body is juuust right.

>everyone ignores... acts like there's no way!

>resisttheurgetocallthemallcasualneets.jpeg

nah but  honestly i'm kind of enjoying it not being subbed. i feel like this forums really picked up since everyones always checking to see if its happened yet

Didn't even see it.  I'll highlight it:

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on December 29, 2016, 05:17:49 PMaint no one entitled to free translation services of those who aren't up for doing it out of the kindness of their waifu boners.
(your welcome, all i ask is that you consider joining the waifu church of ryoko jk jk lol seto is the one true god)

so... anyone want to start a collection tray to do something like this yet?
http://tigoristranslates.com/

http://underwater.nyaatorrents.org/?tag=Fansubbing

http://splash.pmsinfirm.org/commissions_tl.htm

https://fandomservices.com/translation-services/manga-translations/

I NEED MY WAIFUS MAN !
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

it appears someoen may be on it... but patience will be required to see if they follow through
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on January 01, 2017, 01:36:49 AM
it appears someoen may be on it... but patience will be required to see if they follow through

:noah:
Someone here at useless or elsewhere?

"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on January 01, 2017, 01:36:49 AM

Seriously though, what Fap said.  We should still wait it out and not hope for too much just yet... just in case.  :)

i think that maybe near the some one will start to sub it  :worship: pleasèeee