GameStop planning to get in the Retro Business

Started by Tenchi Ryu, August 30, 2012, 09:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
As I'm sure most of you know, GameStop/Eb games are money hungry bastards. Luckily, their greed for money has made them interested in the profit of Retro gaming, which has been very successful online in the ebay and amazon community.

So what do you think? As a HUUUUUUGGGEEEE Dreamcast fan, that would be awesome to be able to go into a Gamestop and buy some dreamcast games. Not sure if any of you are familar with Play N Trade, but they follow this formula and I love it. But their selection is usually just limited to Used Game stock from trades and stuff. Gamestop on the other hand is a big enough company where they could buy large quantities of unsold merchandise, or could even get some stuff back into production....How funny would that be, new Super Nintentos being manufactured lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEx8yMxORB8&feature=g-u-u

Didn't Gamestop/EB Games used to sell old games about6 or 7 years ago? Still, it is good to hear that they're reconsidering their position on old games again.

I'm on the same boat as Tenchi is... considering I'm a huge retro gamer or whatever term you want to use.  After I noticed their premium rewards members had retro games available for their points, I figured it would only be a matter of time before GameStop decided to go through with something like this.  :)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I don't care either way. Be it GameStop or some indie store, I doubt any of us will be seeing any savings in the prices of "retro titles". Thou I do find it amusing that they would now consider carrying software & hardware for defunct systems, as they liquidated all of their old stock of said systems ages ago and currently refuse to buy any it.

I suppose this could be seen as a confirmation that *new* used games will become a thing of the past. Or at least GameStop can already see the writings on the wall. Which is right in line with my belief that all titles for the next generation of consoles will all come with EULA forms and online/phone activation. Just like Windows and a number of computer titles already do.

If so, GameStop is just trying to future proof their chain and it has little or nothing to do with "making retro gamers happy", nor a sudden interest in a cash revenue source they've been ignoring for the last decade.

Now IF GameStop were to get serious about "retro gaming" they could easily reproduce original packaging materials & replacement molds at their massive Texas refurbishing center. Meaning they could produce refurbished software & hardware that looks & feels entirely new. That would be a major win for consumers. But I doubt that'll ever happen. We'll be lucky if they even start to sell repair kits for aging control pads.

I don't know how I missed this before, but Gamestop is now pimping mobile phone plans & buying up used smart phones & tablets. I'd sight that as more proof Gamestop is gearing up for a future where new used games cease are a thing of the past.

Last time I tried to buy an old game at Gamestop, I ended up returning and exchanging three times with no success what so ever. Then I bought that game at a retro gaming store, everything was 100% good on the first purchase. I'm hoping that the "new" used games won't happen this time.
"Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice. Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice." -Sydney Freedman from M*A*S*H.