OVA 4 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, December 30, 2015, 09:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
July 23, 2017, 09:50:53 AM #720 Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 09:53:56 AM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: antvasima on July 23, 2017, 08:29:23 AMI would appreciate if somebody could provide a link to the news of AIC selling Tenchi Muyo to Kadokawa. Thank you.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that the deal has been made while I was vocally talking about why I found it strange that Crunchyroll, etc didn't license OVA 4 yet even for subs only, but it hasn't been made official via a news release or anything.  At this point, I don't expect the announcement until OVA 4 is over.  It was Tsundere89 who mentioned it, and I quote...

Quote from: Tsundere89 on July 14, 2017, 04:13:48 AMI have a source who pretty close to the anime industry and knows people both in Japan and  in the US.  According to his contact at Funimation the likelihood of Funimation picking up OVA 4 is rather slim.   Their are a few reasons for this.  1. Their are too many references  and unknown characters from the GXP light novels  which nobody has access to in the states as they are untranslated and 2  Tenchi related blue rays discs have not sold very well. Funimation is considering giving up the original Ova license in 2020.  Also i have received some news from the industry in Japan.  The announcement has not been formally announced yet but Kadokawa have bought Tenchi.

There ya go.  :)

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on July 22, 2017, 07:09:05 PMif kadokawa has indeed bought tenchi it will be glorious for all of us. or super incredibly awful... i mean they also have to get kajishima's other works with it or else that could ruin so much. :/     AIC is a mess of a company. they have so many good titles and no idea how to manage them.

I think that they'd only have to buy Dual at minimum.  Buying Photon and Agga Rutter might help, but it isn't necessary unless they want to go further into certain aspects of the canon.  As noted before (In fact, I believe you may have been the one who did so), Masquerade and Anata Dake Konbanwa don't really fit into Tenchi canon, even though the Tenchi-ken appears in Konbanwa... but as noted, that's likely just an Easter Egg.  Dual, Photon, and AR, on the other hand, DO (Dual for its connections to GXP, Photon for its connections to WoG, and AR because of the Shank guild and so forth).  In fact, given that Photon and AR's own characters don't appear in Tenchi canon (Unlike Dual whose characters DO appear), they might not even need to buy those two.  Just Dual would be enough.

...and you know, given that Photon and AR are both inactive and haven't gotten anything in ages, yeah.  I think Kadokawa would just need to buy Dual to keep things consistent.  They wouldn't need the other stuff.  And then there's the situation that AR is the odd man out compared to Tenchi, Photon, and Dual due to being hentai... but then we'd be straying off course too much.  :babble:
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

they would have to get dual isekai and gxp (i mean i guess they sort of have it already? but i think it's a licensed thing..)

honestly i'm not sure how the rights work in japan... but it just seems all kinds of complicated when you consider how much of AIC's works all reference and use other AIC characters...  do the scenes in other aic shows which have tenchi cameos have to be cut out in newer releases? do scenes that give el hazard characters cameos need to be cut? is there a grandfather clause? are they getting the tenchi tv shows?  why are aic selling their first franchise? so many questions.

would they have to get photon as well based on the technicality that koro in isekai is basicly the same character design and name from photon?

:/ im sure they will make it work.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on July 23, 2017, 06:15:34 PMthey would have to get dual isekai and gxp (i mean i guess they sort of have it already? but i think it's a licensed thing..)

honestly i'm not sure how the rights work in japan... but it just seems all kinds of complicated when you consider how much of AIC's works all reference and use other AIC characters...  do the scenes in other aic shows which have tenchi cameos have to be cut out in newer releases? do scenes that give el hazard characters cameos need to be cut? is there a grandfather clause? are they getting the tenchi tv shows?  why are aic selling their first franchise? so many questions.

would they have to get photon as well based on the technicality that koro in isekai is basicly the same character design and name from photon?

:/ im sure they will make it work.

Exactly my point in terms of the rights and so forth.  +1 for this post.  :)  And you know, the more I think about it, the more I believe that the reason why the official announcement hasn't been made yet is because negotiations for the rights to the other parts of the canon (GXP, Dual, Geminar, Photon, etc) might still be happening.  Otherwise, they would have likely announced it already.

As for Tenchi being AIC's first series... not really.  I know that at least Dangaioh, which first ran in 1987 (Which means this year is the Dangaioh 30th anniversary), is older than Tenchi and was also done by AIC.  But yeah, I know what you meant, it was their first series that really took off.  :babble:
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

It may be difficult for some to remember (particularly given the focus of this forum) but AIC did Megazone 23, Gall Force, & Bubblegum Crisis (among others) before Tenchi.  All influential and popular in their time.

Thank you for the information. However, does Kadokawa have an anime division, or do they only publish manga and video games?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Kadokawa produces anime, like most other publishers.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Okay. That is good.

Quote from: Harls on July 25, 2017, 05:12:40 PMKadokawa produces anime, like most other publishers.

Not only will I be the second to confirm that Kadokawa produces anime, but I'll also give examples of their previous works.  Keep in mind that they are a media conglomerate and therefore anything done by ASCII Media Works, Enterbrain, and Media Factory also counts (Kadokawa owns those).  Anyway, to name a few.  Shakugan no Shana, Accel World, Sword Art Online, Durarara!!, Black Bullet, Kantai Collection, A Certain Magical Index... I would be going on for a VERY long time if I kept going.

On which note.  Don't forget that the character designer for OVA 4, Takeshi Oda, was also involved with some of the works mentioned above (SAO in particular I noticed immediately when checking ANN for this post).  Therefore, common sense dictates that the transition from AIC to Kadokawa likely won't change the staff working on OVA 5 (Which given how well sales are going for OVA 4 along with Kajishima saying that there's material will now likely happen) TOO much.  Tenchi's in good hands, don't worry folks.  :)

Okay. Thank you for the information.

Episode 4 synopsis posted.

Quoteある日の柾木家では緊張感の中、その瞬間(とき)を待っていた。
新たなる家族となる、信幸と玲亜夫婦の第一子にて、天地の弟となる存在である。
柾木家の面々が見守る中、天地の弟『柾木剣士』が産声を上げた。
だがしかし、それは柾木剣士にとって、重い運命の幕開けでもあった―――。

数年後―――
剣士の教育について、瀬戸、鷲羽を初めとする女性陣、それを阻止しようとしている樹雷皇・阿主沙、そして瀬戸のストッパー役として招集させられた西南など、男性陣が集まっていた。
不穏な話が瀬戸を中心として進められる中、剣士の母・玲亜もある決心をする―――。

The shitty Google-speak seems to confirm Kenshi's birth & training up to being sent off to Geminar.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Harls on August 03, 2017, 04:50:59 AM

Episode 4 synopsis posted.

Quoteある日の柾木家では緊張感の中、その瞬間(とき)を待っていた。
新たなる家族となる、信幸と玲亜夫婦の第一子にて、天地の弟となる存在である。
柾木家の面々が見守る中、天地の弟『柾木剣士』が産声を上げた。
だがしかし、それは柾木剣士にとって、重い運命の幕開けでもあった―――。

数年後―――
剣士の教育について、瀬戸、鷲羽を初めとする女性陣、それを阻止しようとしている樹雷皇・阿主沙、そして瀬戸のストッパー役として招集させられた西南など、男性陣が集まっていた。
不穏な話が瀬戸を中心として進められる中、剣士の母・玲亜もある決心をする―――。

The shitty Google-speak seems to confirm Kenshi's birth & training up to being sent off to Geminar.

i can't wait for that wood chipper...

oh well... its a shame really  unless they backtrack from here we will never have any solid closure on mihoshi, or washu...  :( but then again the novels really have done there best to spoil the rest of the story... i hope comiket gives us good news this year though and we get good news of more tenchi
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Tennyo is looking good! haha, last episode this month though fingers crossed for that "extra" episode or what not

Quote from: GClark on July 25, 2017, 07:30:12 AM
It may be difficult for some to remember (particularly given the focus of this forum) but AIC did Megazone 23, Gall Force, & Bubblegum Crisis (among others) before Tenchi.  All influential and popular in their time.

That's a +1, good sir.  I forgot about Bubblegum Crisis when mentioning Dangaioh, which is also hitting a milestone this year (30th, just like Dangaioh - HOW ABOUT THAT!).  It's just a shame that AIC seems to be so hard on that Megazone 23 reboot despite it NOT being on a milestone this year that it may be the reason that OVA 4 episode 4 got delayed (We don't know, but we can and also should be suspicious given that the darn MZ23 reboot is crowdfunded), but at the same time, it makes me thankful about that Kadokawa buyout.  On which note, I somehow feel that I couldn't even remotely count how many people would want to see something new for Dangaioh and / or Bubblegum at this point with two hands, let alone one.

Quote from: Harls on August 03, 2017, 04:50:59 AM

I think that was pretty obvious from the moment they showed the character art, but it's awesome to see confirmation of that.  :)

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on August 03, 2017, 10:46:04 AM
oh well... its a shame really  unless they backtrack from here we will never have any solid closure on mihoshi, or washu...  :( but then again the novels really have done there best to spoil the rest of the story... i hope comiket gives us good news this year though and we get good news of more tenchi

Agreed that it stinks.  However, let's also face facts.  If that closure happened during the time that Tarrant attacked Tenchi and the girls, then there was no chance of it happening to begin with unless they were to end OVA 4 on a cliffhanger given what I mentioned before (Fights in the OVA take 2 episodes to resolve as we noticed with Kagato, Dr. Clay, and Z, plus only 1 episode being left).  Granted, I didn't look into the story in question, but yeah.

Tenchi Muyo OVA 4 had seem more like a movie to me than a series with four separate episodes.  The episodes had focus on mostly around the events surrounding Rea's and Nobuyuki's wedding.  If the series had more episodes, we could have a visit by all of Mihoshi's grandparents.  Given  the truth about Mihoshi's maternal grandfather being the Grand Marshall of the Galaxy police, it is likely one of her paternal grandparents is the Head of the Galaxy Army.   Mihoshi's father Nakita is a Galaxy Army general.  I am speculating that Nakita's mother is a Field Marshall.  Even as the Galaxy Army is a division of the G.P.,  the Galaxy Army is a separate division of the Galaxy Police.  It serves primary as the G.P.'s military. 

I do want OVA 4 mark the end of the Tenchi Muyo: Ryo-Ohki OVA series.  If there is an OVA 5, I want it to be a sequel to the Ryo-Ohki series.  One of my ideals for OVA 5 is focus on Tenchi finding out that he is engaged to a daughter of one of his father's best friends.   This ideal works fine for a fanfiction series. 

I do want one of the next sequels to Ryo-Ohki to center around one of Tenchi's sons.   My ideal title for the series is TENCHI MUYO - THE NEXT GENERATION.   Strangely, one of my  ideals for the series is the main protagonist being the female protagonist.  The female protagonist is the fiancee of the male protagonist Tenchi's son.

Right now, I will wait to see the raw and dubbed versions of the fourth episode.

:end: :popcorn: :whatif: :howaboutno: