DYK Anime Video on Tenchi Muyo

Started by Surgeon Of Death, September 07, 2014, 11:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
September 07, 2014, 11:06:31 PM Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 11:19:59 PM by Surgeon Of Death
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD9cMvxkOHY
https://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=aD9cMvxkOHY < here if you don't want to give the video views.

So I really enjoyed their One Piece & JoJo videos so when I saw Tenchi on there I was quite happy, that turned into disgust when I saw which forum they used for their research. Is there any way to let them know that some of their sources are quite lacking? I don't really remember reading about Kajishima being an anti-feminist or that Kiyone was part of the prelimary storyboard for the OVAs. This really reaks of bias from the Anti-OVA3/Universe is the only answer fandom side.

Quote from: Surgeon Of Death on September 07, 2014, 11:06:31 PM
Is there any way to let them know that some of their sources are quite lacking? I don't really remember reading about Kajishima being an anti-feminist or that Kiyone was part of the prelimary storyboard for the OVAs. This really reaks of bias from the Anti-OVA3/Universe is the only answer fandom side.

They know exactly what's they are doing.

Quote from: Surgeon Of Death on September 07, 2014, 11:06:31 PMThis really reaks of bias from the Anti-OVA3/Universe is the only answer fandom side.

Got it in one.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

September 08, 2014, 04:58:25 AM #3 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:22:39 AM by جبريل 無道
@2:33 Naoko Hasegawa is not considered "one of the three" creators of Tenchi Muyo.  ANN clearly lists who gets the Original Creator credit: Hayashi and MK.  The fact is that Hasegawa came in late to the production to write dialogue from storyboards and was told the entire story of TM she had to polish, and she liked it.  She also did some editing, i.e. there is a storyboarded scene in ep5 after Kagato attacks, of Yousho telling Ayeka if she loved Tenchi, she should go with him.  Hasegawa deleted that.  Ever wonder why Tenchi tells Ayeka to take care of Grandpa but she's in the next scene with him on the ship?  So that missing Ryoko planting a kiss on Tenchi works both ways with Ayeka getting shafted and being perpetually accused here in the States as seeing Tenchi only as a Yousho replacement.  Creator Credit listed:  http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=919

So if Hasegawa is now a co-creator, why not executive producer Taro Maki?  Or all those other people listed on ANN?  Oh right, have to elevate the novels to an equal canon status.

Moreover, Hasegawa herself says MK created the Tenchi world and characters:
http://www.noneedfortenchi.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2938

@2:44, Naoko Hasegawa did not work as a story board artist.  She hasn't storyboarded in her life.  If she could draw storyboards, why does she need MK and Hayashi to draw illustrations for her first novel?  She's a writer.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/people.php?id=29704

@2:56  While Hayashi and Kajishima did make illustrations for Hasegawa's book, Hayashi having sketched Kiyone first, and MK giving Kiyone her finalized GP uniform and bandana, there is no indication whatsoever either had direct creative input on the contents of the story nor "recognized" her story as canon and more likely did the drawings as a favor to her.  Hasegawa wrote the Mirei episode of TU, does that make it Hasegawa novel canon?  How silly.

@3:00  Tenchi's mother Kiyone Masaki appears in OAV1, episode 5, in Ryoko's flashbacks of Tenchi.  First the American fanbase thought she was his Grandmother from a faulty dubbing translation (Okaasan is formal for Mother, Obaasan is formal for Grandmother).  But the Japanese is clear and say mother when Tenchi is crying.  There isn't an argument, mama Kiyone appeared first. 

Then the pro-TU/Achika portion of the American fanbase shifted it's goalposts and argue that Achika had a name first or other silly arguments.  No one cares who had a name first but the character designer probably had one in mind when he drew her.  Achika simply does not look like Kiyone, even with TMiL's later half-assed attempts to reconcile the hair color.  Tenchi's mother appeared on product February 25, 1993.  Well before May of that year.

The Kiyone Makibi hoopla feels just silly.  Let's forget that MK presented Noike that year as well in Doujin, possibly summer Comiket, pictures to which Hasegawa was given access to well in advance going by her Tokimi comments, and well before Kiyone was animated in the Mihoshi Special in 1994. 

But let's just ask: Why was the next girl's hair green?  Because that was the only primary color left to use.  That was a big thing in anime back then, for different main girls to have different colors to help differentiate them, especially for the extremely low (not even close to 640x480) resolutions back then.  Why was the next girl Mihoshi's partner?  Because that was the position left in the family dynamics.  Ayeka and Sasami came as a pair.  Ryoko and Washu are tied together.  Mihoshi and....?  Why is this girl going to be Mihoshi's "straight man"?  Because of how Mihoshi is already established.  The spot was vacant and somewhat inevitable, any new girl was likely going to be green haired and Mihoshi's more uptight partner. 

After that, the two are different.  Kiyone has next to no development in the series.  What do people know of her?  Nothing.  Noike is argued to have too much although after OAV3, that intro period cooled down but I don't really think of her as a cop first because that's simply not how she was mainly presented as.  I like Kiyone, but I just don't understand the "controversy".

@3:44  Out of context quote.  MK never stated he altered the girls personalities specifically after OAV1 (video added this to support the Hayashi quote).  That's just to discredit MK more and keep building up HH/NH as the two true creators.  He said he altered the personalities while composing the story (back in the day).  Every author and writer knows ideas evolve while working.  He also didn't say there are no females like that.  Just no real models for that many different kinds.  Unless someone wants to point out irl space pirates and such?  And keep in mind he lives in Japan, where both women and men had/have to conform to certain roles to stay in society's good graces, certainly moreso back when he was growing up.  Much hoopla over nothing.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070705062657/http://www.aicanime.com/about/interview2_kajishima.html
QuoteT: Well, Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki stimulates people's imaginations with a strong lineup of female characters, each with their own unique personality. Another reason it has attracted so many people is the fact that the female characters are so "real", as if they are models in real life for each character.

K: Oh, of course there are no real models for that many different kinds of females with strong personalities. (laughs) But, all of them are my ideal women. And, of course, I did alter their personalities for balance when I composed the story. "Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki" is the manifestation of my libido for the past 30 years, before I started the series. (laughs)

After that, the beginning is mostly just known stuff from early art and the facts after the canon section is straight from the Tenchi 101 (the MK-Kuroda Q&A book), and another advertisement for one of TF's subbings.  Petrea did one long ass anti-MK indoctrination video and TF commercial, and probably for free.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Maybe you should post this in the comments section?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

You're welcome to it, Antva.  I don't have the energy to make the replies to replies and my argumentation days in the fandom are largely behind me.  The remaining people aren't moved by logic, they largely have their conclusions set on wishes and the rest of their perceived reality falls in place to support it via speculation and conspiracy theories.  This goes doubly so for fandoms because of the emotional investment involved.  Afterall, if someone's not emotionally invested, they probably wouldn't be fannish in the first place, after all these years.  After the fairweather popularity fans of TM evaporated away, the distillation of what is now left are the ones I described. 

Trying to convert some other faith over is not my idea of a good time.  The japanese don't care, they extract what they can from the Japanese fanbase, and sell whatever they make later on for some lump sum licensing deal to the west.  As that is the case, how popular it is with western fans doesn't impact them close enough to real time for it to matter to them. 

I'm just gonna scan, draw, have some sarcastic fun and maybe watch AiTM unfold.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on September 08, 2014, 04:58:25 AM
Petrea did one long ass anti-MK indoctrination video and TF commercial, and probably for free.

All while passing on a payday from Funimation, because she's a serious actress with SAG cred and not one of the underpaid scabs Funimation normally hires. Because lets be honest, she is a paid actress that did a job back in the 90s and does not know much about the product, nor care about it. If she really cared about it, she would have took the job Funi offered over a decade ago. All she cares about is getting paid what she feels she deserves and now that that well has long run dry, she's moved onto directly exploiting fans via public appearances & autograph sessions. And like any celebrity making money on the indie scene, she's going to repeat back whatever nonsense the most devout & irate fans say. This shit reminds me of prowrestling; same shitty fans & the same washed up talent working the same angle.

Not every fanbase can have a Jason David Frank, a working man's nostalgia idol.

September 08, 2014, 10:42:00 AM #8 Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 11:03:42 AM by antvasima
That's way too harsh. Petrea seems like a very nice lady. And others likely wrote the script for her. In addition, after watching the episode, I found it perfectly nice and mostly harmless.

I loves Shades he is like a live-action version of Statler and Waldorf.  Shades, you are my idol.

Where Petrea made her anti-MK video? I always thought Kyle's mother was the best English voice for Ryoko and I prefer her voice in the Japanese and French dub anyway.

September 09, 2014, 01:16:12 AM #14 Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 01:23:01 AM by antvasima
Quote from: Gaston on September 08, 2014, 03:51:42 PM
I loves Shades he is like a live-action version of Statler and Waldorf.  Shades, you are my idol.

Where Petrea made her anti-MK video? I always thought Kyle's mother was the best English voice for Ryoko and I prefer her voice in the Japanese and French dub anyway.
She didn't make an anti-MK video. She just read from a script, a quote that he didn't think there were any women with such strong personalities in real life. This is getting overblown for very little reason imho. I know that I am guilty of negativity as well, but we don't have to do it for every little thing.