E3 2013

Started by Tenchi Ryu, June 09, 2013, 04:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New Nintendo Direct just finished. As usual, nobody can even come close to the exclusives from Nintendo. Got fucking chills at the "New challenger approaching!" screen.

Bayonetta 2 looks pretty good. Waiting for fanboys to rage over her shorter haircut though. Never really cared for the original design myself so I much prefer her with shorter hair.

Super Mario 3D World is gonna be awesome. Mario Kart 8 is gonna be awesome. Wii Party U is gonna be... shit. Wii U Weight Gamez 2013...  :shepicide:

New Donkey Kong Country has Dixie Kong, which is always a plus. "X" looked fuhuhucking amazing.

They brought up the Tingle Tuner in the WW remake, and seemingly replaced it with some stupid Miiverse thing. I don't... why wouldn't you just... 3DS NINTENDO! YOU HAVE THE 3DS! WOULD IT BE FUCKING HARD TO HAVE IT CONNECT TO THE WII U!?  :milk:

All in all, the usual predictably good Nintendo games and not much else.
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

All I can say is... dat new challenger for Super Smash Bros.  About time!  :emot-smugdog:

(Not saying who it is yet in case anyone here missed the trailer.)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

The one negative from Sony's presentation is that they will be charging for multiplayer. Yeah yeah. MS has been doing it all the time. And it's still cheaper to everything MS is doing when you do the math. But it is a new restriction. It's what prevents me from giving them an A+, and just an A-. Still, everything else is a positive from Sony. While the Europeans and Brits are still getting screwed compared to the US, it's still cheaper than the One. And with less restrictions.

As for Nintendo... I'll give them a C.

It isn't that they didn't come up with some good exclusives. Though besides Bayonetta 2, those exclusives are all Nintendo's own. Again, Nintendo has, rightfully so, been known for their quality. They're stuff Nintendo fans would sell their soul (if they still have it having already sold it to Nintendo. :P) to get. But, well, I've come to expect that. Anything less than a new Pokemon or a Super Smash Bros., I would be disappointed.

They just didn't do anything beyond that. They didn't exactly show off the world (besides Bayonetta 2) that the Wii U will have a lot of third party support.

*But that didn't mean Nintendo is in trouble.*

Well no. N64 and Gamecube showed that Nintendo can do well with, just themselves. What's in doubt, is whether or not Nintendo can turn their success into a mass market success beyond just the Nintendo fans.

Quote from: SimmyC on June 11, 2013, 07:47:39 PM
While the Europeans and Brits are still getting screwed compared to the US

Xbox One looks to be about $860 and the PS4 around $690 in Norway, but you also got to remember that there are generally higher wages up here so it pretty much evens out.

I'm guessing it's like that for the UK and the rest of europe too.
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

For me the choice is clear.

I'm sticking for the PC for the foreseeable future. :P

And I'm being serious, nothing shown so far makes me want to go out and get a new game console. Now, if I didn't have concerns like, not having a real job, a lot more disposable income, etc., the first system I'd probably get would be a PS4 since all those other restrictions are not on it. I don't play online that much, but even if I did, PSN+ would still be cheaper than Xbox Live in the long run. The games that do hold my interest, are multiplat so I wouldn't miss out if I got the PS4 instead of the One anyways.

Besides, those same multiplats, quite a few will be on the PC anyways.

And to be perfectly honest, Final Fantasy was never a game franchise I cared for. I mean besides the time when I was much more of a dumb fanboy and saw Final Fantasy as a way for point at the 'other side' and laugh at the lack of a 'quality' games on the 'other' system. Being much more mature and not a blind fanboy to anyone (though  I will still admit a bias towards Sony), I see Final Fantasy as a franchise that is, sadly, being ruined by SquareEnix. It's like they took their bread and butter, and put the emphasis on the cinematic, rather than the substance. While the gameplay of FFXIII was okay, the linearity didn't help the gameplay any. Oh, the CGI was pretty. But the characters...  :gonk: I might have been fine with the gameplay with a great story. Except, for a storied franchise, it... let's just say I lost my incentive to finish the game.

And then they think continuing to milk it with FFXIII-2 and FFXIII-3 helps it.

And let's forget about FFXIV (which is an MMO) which had to be rebooted given the disaster of the original.

Now I like to say that SquareEnix learned from their mistakes, and are going to make FFXV awesome. And FFXV is definitely pretty. But I'm not sure about that at the moment. The video of the gameplay they showed confused me. Is it an RPG? Or are they going with DmC?

Oh well. Multiplat anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/video-xbox-boss-issues-worst-possible-response-xbox-162037016.html

Whether having it online 'most' of the time is something that MS should be beaten the head over could be debatable...

What isn't in debate is how badly Microsoft is handling the situation. Their PR/marketing staff has foot and mouth disease where they say stuff like this, it gets picked up, and it becomes the headlines in news articles.

And it isn't always the products fault. Heck, a lot of critics thought the Zune was better than the iPod when it first came out. But due to Microsoft having no clue how to market it, they were never able to take that advantage, and be competitive. Same with their new tablet, and the Windows 8 phone (though at least it 'seems' the Windows 8 phone is finally selling). Xbox was their one recent exception. It's not going to stay that exception if their PR keeps putting their foot in their mouth.

Looks like the big dogs are trying to clean up that PR mess from yesterday

http://mmgn.com/xboxone/news--xbox-one-can-use-mobile-data-for-24-hour-chec

Wonder how this works, so in theory, could you not have a broadband connection, connect the xbox to your 3G phone somehow and get the verification?

They need to explain this more.

June 13, 2013, 10:44:14 AM #38 Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 11:11:23 AM by Tenchi Ryu
Wonder if MS will find a way to make a loophole out of this

-  Microsoft Xbox Chief Marketing and Strategy Officer Yusuf Mehdi:
    (Via Ars Technica) For one, a family member doesn't have to be a "blood relative," he said, eliminating the extremely unlikely possibility that the Xbox One would include a built-in blood testing kit. For another, they don't have to live in the primary owner's houseā€”I could name a friend that lives 3,000 miles away as one of my "family members" Mehdi said.

So 10 people, I get to share their entire xbox playlist and play that game with no restrictions other than the original can't be playing it at the same time. That's pretty cool for like if interested in a game that a friend has, hell that almost knocks out the whole sharing issue. Hell, I could literally say "here Adam, play my Fable 4 and tell me what you think", then he could DL and play for free, all the way in Detroit.

Being able to play the same game (a bit, limited to a number of people) is probably one of the very few positives MS can point to for the Xbox One as a positive. Even Steam doesn't allow that (Steam sees you logged into another system... BAN).

Doesn't make up for all the other restrictions they placed on the game that are a negative to the gamer.

And the idea that you don't need to use your broadband Internet and tether it with your mobile phone... well at least they are address the fact the 'mostly online' aspect could be an issue. But just the idea that I need to use my phone just do to that still sounds like a pain. And while I do believe the amount of data needed to verify shouldn't be too much so the usual data plan shouldn't be too much, certain carriers are restricting the use of tethering. Besides, bringing this up (and the Xbox 360 comment) only puts the spotlight on this issue.

Sony apparently has bombed pretty hard at Gamescom today, the majority of complaints are that they wasted time and showed nothing but Indie games, and people are wondering where are the actual AAA titles. Compared to about 3-4 months ago, Xbox has pulled a lot of 180s after the obvious backlash, and is now surprisingly starting to become a favorite. A lot of the things that were hammered have been wiped, and a lot of good in return.

It's funny how people seem to bitch for the sake of bitching. Oh noes! All the games are Indie! While before Xbox One was being shit on when they basically shut out Indies due to their publishing stance on it (which is one of the MANY things MS has 180ed on).

That being said...

I won't be getting either system for a while after launch. I'm of the belief that it is NEVER a good idea to get a game right at launch. I'll wait for the dust to settle before settling on either system. Because yes, I wasn't happy about MS original decision on what to do with their system. But those changes was probably the cause of all the delays. And who knows how either system will run at launch.

On the flipside, lets see how Japan responds...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683909

By showing us not even .5 of a fuck was given.

......Unless its Monster Hunter.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on September 23, 2013, 02:02:12 AM
On the flipside, lets see how Japan responds...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=683909

By showing us not even .5 of a fuck was given.

......Unless its Monster Hunter.
Seriously... this is disappointing.  I can understand paying for new consoles every three to five years, but at the rate PCs are updating it's ridiculous to keep up every one or two years, especially with the high price that you have to pay compared to a console.  I'm in a family that doesn't do the "individual hardware component upgrade" thing like most other PC gamers do (Most of us are afraid of bricking our PCs altogether when installing individual hardware into a PC), so that option is out of the question.

Just my two cents, but dang... is it depressing for those who have no choice but to rely on consoles for gaming. 
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

TGS has been on the declined for a while. In part because Nintendo pulled out. Also in part because major gaming companies no longer make the big announcements at TGS anymore. It's no longer THE game convention in Japan anymore.

With the exception of this years E3 with the whole One and PS4 announcements, E3 was going through the same thing. Funny enough, Nintendo also pulled back their presence at E3. Going more for a online announcement than a floor presence.