New Tenchi Series

Started by Meeeeeeelllllon, May 26, 2014, 02:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We're getting a new Tenchi series, but it's going to be a bit different from what we're used to. But it's something! :D

"Representatives from the city of Takahashi in Okayama Prefecture announced on Monday that the city is raising money to fund a new Tenchi Muyo! series. The tentatively titled Ai: Tenchi Muyo! will be set in Takahashi, as the city hopes fans will come on a "pilgrimage" to see the setting of the anime, and plans to sell goods and host related events.

The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

The town is raising 16,840,000 yen (US$165,293) in advertising expenses. Tenchi Muyo! creator Masaki Kajishima is credited as the original creator and Hiroaki Inoue is attached as the producer for the upcoming series. Kajishima is also from Okayama prefecture, where many works in the Tenchi series take place." (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-05-26/new-tenchi-muyo-series-announced-to-promote-tourism/.74909)

"A new Tenchi Muyo series appears to be coming, but it won't be like previous incarnations in some ways. The Sanyo Newspaper is reporting that Takahashi City has announced that a new anime is being produced with the city investing money into it. The series is getting a tentative name of Ai Tenchi Muyo! and the idea behind is is that they'll be producing fifty episodes of the series – at five minutes an episode. That pushes the show more towards just being a comedy with some romantic material likely thrown in to keep it hopping. The series is expected to begin broadcast in October 2014 via Tokyo MX. The project brings back original creator Kajishima Masaki to work on it." (http://www.fandompost.com/2014/05/26/new-tenchi-muyo-anime-series-coming/)

-

So we're getting 50 5-minute long episodes to promote tourism. I don't know what control Kajishima has over it, but I'm interested to see how it turns out!
Plenty of trees on Jurai, and plenty of big juicy melons.

What I'm hoping is that if this is successful this may pave the way for a more traditional type of show, ether way the whole thing will total 250 min or so.

:Hap:
:nod:

Quote from: Meeeeeeelllllon on May 26, 2014, 02:04:53 PM
So we're getting 50 5-minute long episodes to promote tourism. I don't know what control Kajishima has over it, but I'm interested to see how it turns out!

I'm kind of excited about this, but at the same time weary. On one hand this tells me Tenchi is still a very strong influence over in Japan and they're willing to animate his characters more, but the fact it's only Fifty 5-minute bits is concerning. I am glad we're going to see new content, but the reason why we're getting it is a bit weird. Still, 250 minutes of new Tenchi animations might spark a new OVA line or get Paradise War off the ground.  :damn: :uhaul: :goodman:
This is not a sig, it's a Sandwich.

Quote from: Ryokos Stepdad on May 26, 2014, 02:14:46 PMI'm kind of excited about this, but at the same time weary. On one hand this tells me Tenchi is still a very strong influence over in Japan and they're willing to animate his characters more, but the fact it's only Fifty 5-minute bits is concerning. I am glad we're going to see new content, but the reason why we're getting it is a bit weird. Still, 250 minutes of new Tenchi animations might spark a new OVA line or get Paradise War off the ground.  :damn: :uhaul: :goodman:
My thoughts are exactly the same as yours.  But if this doesn't work towards a new OVA or Paradise War, or even Isekai season 2... dang, I can't even talk about how I would feel.

Explaining this reasoning requires discussing how I feel about how another series I am a fan of is being handled right now, so if you're not interested in that part of this post, just skip the forthcoming section of this post.

*Begin semi off-topic rant*
As a fan of Digimon, I faced enough disappointment as to how Digimon Xros Wars was handled here in the US in all aspects, and don't want to deal with another series that I enjoy going down the toilet the way that one did.  We didn't even get the complete series - the final episode of the dub ended on a cliffhanger!  As for the current handling of Digimon in Japan, all they've got going right now is a smartphone card game that is pretty much garbage, and a 3DS game that I hear is actually good, but may not even be released here so I can play it (Curse you region lock!).
*End semi off-topic rant*

So yeah... my disappointment elsewhere does factor in here as to how I'll feel if this new mini series fails to get us closer to our goal of ever seeing OVA 4 or another related TV / OVA series.  It'll be galaxy class disappointment for the second time in the same year, and I don't think I can deal with that right now.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

Quote from: Meeeeeeelllllon on May 26, 2014, 02:04:53 PMThe project brings back original creator Kajishima Masaki to work on it." (http://www.fandompost.com/2014/05/26/new-tenchi-muyo-anime-series-coming/)

Surprised he has the time, glad too.

But I'm concerned what the $160K raised so far will bring in actual animation time, not to mention VAs.  50 5-minute episode on that money, even if they are like the OAV3 DVD extras, I think not.  Maybe something got lost in translation...

What I hope doesn't happen is some type of touristy videos where the Tenchi characters are used intermittently to promote whatever and then in the background most of the time.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Well, I guess 15 episodes of 5 minutes is better than nothing and yeah maybe I would learn new things!

Quote from: Meeeeeeelllllon on May 26, 2014, 02:04:53 PM
The series is slated to run for 50 five-minute episodes on Tokyo MX starting in October.

Sounds like they should have got Kiyohiko Azuma involved.

May 26, 2014, 03:56:31 PM #7 Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 04:03:35 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Sounds like Tenchi's version of Dragon ball Absalon, just with more money and actually getting Kaji on board. I can dig it.

We'll probably see the characters talking about different parts of the town and stuff. Luckily, japanese voice actors are loyal as hell, so I expect most of them back.

I'm with everyone here. Nice that we get to see more Tenchi. Not so hopeful that it's basically 5 minute tourism ads. Still, if it leads to say OVA4, Paradise War, or Isekai s2 (as again, mentioned in this thread), I'm all for it. Will that actually happen is, anyone's guess. But cautiously... pessimistic. At least being pessimistic, if it does happen I'll be going  :woop:. I'm just not going to get my hopes up of that actually happening. Certainly in the near near future.

>people are getting butt blasted over Kajishima having control over it.

:merchant:

Oh My God! I can't believe it. The day has arrived....A new Tenchi Muyo series! I never would've thought the day would come. I just about moved on from Tenchi. Now I'm gonna have to rewatch all the OVAs and Universe all over again to get myself hyped up! I don't mind it being shorts just as long as I get some new Tenchi material that isn't as mindfuck as OVA 3. Oh man if the shorts are going to pull off some comedy routines I can't wait to see what parodies they'll do. I would shit my pants for a TWGOK reference or spoof! October can't come any sooner! So much hype right now.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on May 26, 2014, 02:44:33 PMBut I'm concerned what the $160K raised so far will bring in actual animation time, not to mention VAs.  50 5-minute episode on that money, even if they are like the OAV3 DVD extras, I think not.  Maybe something got lost in translation...

Correcting myself, the $160k the town raised seems to be the advertising budget....

Quote from: Ryokos Stepdad on May 26, 2014, 02:14:46 PMI'm kind of excited about this, but at the same time weary. On one hand this tells me Tenchi is still a very strong influence over in Japan and they're willing to animate his characters more, but the fact it's only Fifty 5-minute bits is concerning. I am glad we're going to see new content, but the reason why we're getting it is a bit weird. Still, 250 minutes of new Tenchi animations might spark a new OVA line or get Paradise War off the ground.  :damn: :uhaul: :goodman:

I haven't seen 5 minute animes, but I suspect that the beginning theme and credits will be enought to knock some time off and it will be less than 200 minutes overall.  Maybe I'm wrong.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

This is awesome. And we get new episodes as soon as October! On ANN forum somebody posted a link to a Japanese site which said that there will be DVD collections as well. :)
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

The series is set in a rural area somewhere in Okayama Prefecture.  The Masaki Family Shrine and the Residence are located very close to a town.  The town's train station is likely located close to the Masaki Residence.  Tenchi was able to get to Kurashiki City within a period between a half hour and a full hour.

Since the Masaki residence and the Masaki Shrine are located northwest of Kurashiki City,  Takahashi is likely the best city where the shrine and the residence are located near.  The town where the Shrine and residence are located near have  merged with Takahashi City and become part of the city.

The city of Takahashi wants to use the new series to promote tourism.  I think that the entire Okayama Prefecture should use the series as a way to promote tourism.  Masaki Kajishima had used actual places in the Prefecture for the series.  Washu Hakubi had gotten her name from two places, Mt. Washu in Kurashiki City and the Hakubi Line.

Quote from: SimmyC on May 26, 2014, 04:13:47 PM
I'm just not going to get my hopes up of that actually happening. Certainly in the near near future.
https://www.youtube.com/v/0d6yBHDvKUw