Hello Tenchi fans!

Started by vegeta1215, October 13, 2020, 01:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey everyone! I've been a fan of Tenchi since it first aired on Toonami in the late 90s/early 00s and have recently gotten really nostalgic for the series while working at home during the past few months. Aside from re-watching several of the shows and movies on DVD I ended up getting both sets of Tenchi manga in their entirety off eBay and book stores online (I got some good deals but also spent quite a bit on a few of them!). I love OVA 1-2 of course, but I am partial to Tenchi in Tokyo :) (Universe is great too but I haven't watched it as many times as the others)

I wanted to join this forum to see what Tenchi fans are talking about nowadays and to see what hidden gems people have found in terms of artwork and other merch they've added to their collections.

Howdy!
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Welcome.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

To answer your question a bit, there have been a few more OVA series released since the 1990 (we will soon get OVA 5 episode 4), along with 17 Tenchi Muyo! GXP volumes, many official doujinshi, and the Seikishi Monogatari anime series, which chronologically occurrs after OVA 5 is finished. So we have had quite a bit to talk about.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

Thanks. I previously owned OVA 3 on DVD but sold it years ago due to so many confusing elements that (as I understand it) are better understood after reading the True Tenchi novels and maybe watching GXP (which I skipped). Also I was not a fan of Mona Marshall's portrayal of Ryoko. I'm thinking about picking up the novels now that they are in english and maybe revisiting OVA 3.

I watched a fan-sub of OVA 4 on Youtube when those first came out, but like many have said, it's chock full of a lot of exposition, very fan service-y, and seemingly just a bridge to War on Geminar with little to do with the original Tenchi cast. I haven't watched OVA 5 or even read very much about it, but the little that I have read just sounds even more confusing with so many new characters.

Honestly, OVA 3 IS confusing (episode number was cut in half) and the best way to understand it is to simply concentrate on what is happening in each confusing scene.
Like....

Oh... he's traveling through time, backwards to save the girl...and the girl is Kagato? Forward to see his dark counterpart and his future self...Eventually it clicks.

Oh... they created the universe to figure out how to create someone like Tenchi... now I get it.

BIG ideas in bite-sized pieces.

Now that I've looked up some old doujins I see some of the info was teased in those, but you can get it without.
...in my pants