Why do people hate the 3rd OVA?

Started by Empress of Jurai, November 07, 2012, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the link I posted, I actually show that in the book vs movie MnE, they actually switch Mihoshi and Kiyone's roles for the scene where they ponder who Mayuka's mother is.  In the movie, it's Mihoshi who gushes with Ayeka and Sasami that they could be the mothers with Kiyone acting as the killjoy.  In the book, Kiyone is actually the one gushing with Ayeka and Sasami that she could be Mayuka's mother.

MK also was the one who gave Kiyone her GXP uniform and bandana in Hasegawa's first book.  He and Hayashi submitted illustrations for her, Hayashi did the character design and MK added those elements.

I highly recommend the Mihoshi Special.  Right after OAV1, director Hayashi did that as his last Tenchi project before El-Hazard and Pretty Sammy.  Ryoei Tsukimura did the screenplay, and she's pretty good in certain capacities, she did most of the Tenchi Universe, and the first TMiL movie as well.  Last time I looked, Bakabt had the blueray torrent up of it.

I don't think there is really a problem with reusing a name, especially when the other one with the name is dead.  They could have played up Kiyone having the same name just like Tennyo had the identical character design.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

February 15, 2013, 12:07:29 PM #61 Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:09:22 PM by Tenchi Ryu
To be blatantly biased but honest, I would have liked Kiyone way more if she liked Tenchi (outside of the Novel continuity). That's all there is to it for me. Even if she had the same role where she was just tagging along with Mihoshi, if she was swooning over Tenchi with the rest, I might be in the "Burn Noike with pitchforks" group myself. Well, not that extreme but you get my drift lol.

Then again, I could care less who joins a harem. My motto, the more the better.  :chord: :chord:

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on February 15, 2013, 11:21:06 AM
In the link I posted, I actually show that in the book vs movie MnE, they actually switch Mihoshi and Kiyone's roles for the scene where they ponder who Mayuka's mother is.  In the movie, it's Mihoshi who gushes with Ayeka and Sasami that they could be the mothers with Kiyone acting as the killjoy.  In the book, Kiyone is actually the one gushing with Ayeka and Sasami that she could be Mayuka's mother.

MK also was the one who gave Kiyone her GXP uniform and bandana in Hasegawa's first book.  He and Hayashi submitted illustrations for her, Hayashi did the character design and MK added those elements.

I highly recommend the Mihoshi Special.  Right after OAV1, director Hayashi did that as his last Tenchi project before El-Hazard and Pretty Sammy.  Ryoei Tsukimura did the screenplay, and she's pretty good in certain capacities, she did most of the Tenchi Universe, and the first TMiL movie as well.  Last time I looked, Bakabt had the blueray torrent up of it.

I don't think there is really a problem with reusing a name, especially when the other one with the name is dead.  They could have played up Kiyone having the same name just like Tennyo had the identical character design.

Yet, it does seem pretty clear that Kajishima really wants to stay as far away as possible from that character. Either way, I think we're at a bit of an agree to disagree empasse and I don't want to go off on too much of a tangent. I will check out the Miho special, as outside of Pretty Sammy it is pretty much the only animated tenchi I haven't seen, (and pretty Sammy holds NO interest to me whatsoever.).

Back to the topic on hand I do think that there are a few valid criticisms of the third OAV that did hold it back quite a bit:

First, the pacing is a little weird. It's kinda like a mix of the first and second season in that regard, it feels like there are introductions each episode oftentimes multiple ones, and the show does not always to the best job adressing these new additions on its own terms. It's not so much of a problem if you have seen GXP, but lord help you if you missed it. It's confusing as all hell.

Second, The emotional core of the show isn't quite as apparent. Season 2 is far and away where the show understands how to tug at the hearstrings, you learn about Washu's past, Sasami's fear of rejection, Ryoko's inability to really understand the feelings of others and herself, and Zero's merging with her to help her become a more balanced individual. Season 3 has some great bits of this, but it never quite reaches the levels that season 2 did, and the times where some of thos scenes are (say when the Choushin are protecting Tenchi) they are almost more moving on a second viewing because the actual enormity of what is being said can actually sink in (due to the lightning pace of EP 6)

Third, Kajishima is a bit of a troll. He specifically tries to go against audience expectations when we does some of the reveals. Especially the mother. Fans attatched to Achika the perfect kickass mom from TMiL? The one who sacrificed her long life to save the galaxy and her son? Well, he's gonna give you the batshit crazy one who loves playing practical jokes and died an (apparently) meaningless death. Like Kiyone, he's going to give you Noike? Expecting a war between 3 godesses? He's going to give you three sisters who get along pretty damned well.  Now the seeds for all of these revelations were hidden throughout the series (and GXP) but the fact remains no one likes to be duped.

Last, For being over 10 years in the making, it never really felt like THIS was what we had been waiting for all this time. Episode 6 definitely did, but the rest, it was good, but without the context of additional episodes if felt a wee bit run of the mill. I think that's my biggest complaint overall with the series, it felt like the 14-19th episodes of a 26 episode series followed by the final episode of that same series. After a 10 year wait it was jarring.

Time has been kinder to this OVA than most though and I find myself really liking it again, but while some of the complaints I do feel are just kinda silly some I very much understand.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 15, 2013, 12:44:38 PM

Third, Kajishima is a bit of a troll. He specifically tries to go against audience expectations when we does some of the reveals.
STILL pisses me off when I think about it. Around Isekai episode 10 or 11. Kenshi finally gets his true weapon for his mech. We get references to goddesses and all that. We hear the name of the sword, Tenchi. Kenshi doesn't say a god damn word. I'm like, are you F#$king kidding me Kajishima?

This boy's entire purpose has been to get back home, and hearing his brother's name once doesn't even spark a "oohhh, that's my brother's name. This kid went ON and ON and ON and ON about his sisters the ENTIRE series, you finally hear your bro's name, and you can't even throw us a bone Kaji?

I was venting for like an entire day on the internet for that lol.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 15, 2013, 12:44:38 PMYet, it does seem pretty clear that Kajishima really wants to stay as far away as possible from that character.

Tbh, I think he coopted her in Noike by taking the elements he wanted.  He did say:

QuoteK: That's true, people usually expect something big. But, basically, the Tenchi movies extend the Tenchi Muyo! TV series, right? My thoughts about the TV series are, they put Kiyone and Mihoshi together as a team, independent of the Tenchi family. At the same time, the TV version of Kiyone will never care for Tenchi. I don't quite agree with that particular TV version of Kiyone. She has the most "normal human" personality amongst the girls and I think she and Tenchi are the best match.

And OAV3 gives you a feeling that Noike was made to be the best match for Tenchi.  And all of Noike's domestic abilities and fiance stuff is to make her a part of the household, which was the reason he didn't like the TV version of Kiyone.

I don't think it's a big deal.  Afterall, Hasegawa did take pretty much all his characters to make her 13 books.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

February 17, 2013, 01:05:54 AM #65 Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 01:54:51 AM by LightHawkWing
I think it says a lot about Noike that she flat out told Ryoko and Ayeka the truth about why she was actually sent to the house in episode 16. She didn't have to and could play up the fiancee role if she chose to but she clearly wanted to to make them more comfortable with the situation that nobody had any control over.

And concerning the whole "she came in and took over the house" issue people have with her, if you ask me, she did what she did to make the house's inhabitants more of family. "Thank you for your hard work today. Without all of your help, it would be quite impossible to keep this house under control." It's because of her that Ayeka and Ryoko can sit together and have an actual conversation. "Here exists an uncontrollable military might that belongs to no nation...and unlike you, I have the ability to turn against Tenchi if the situation warrants it." She knows they'd never turn against him, so she wants to make the house a home instead of a bunch of crazy uber-powerful broads living under one roof and fighting over this dude.

The more I watch OVA 3, the more I take a liking to Noike. She is great if you actually take the time out to get to know her.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 17, 2013, 01:05:54 AM
I think it says a lot about Noike that she flat out told Ryoko and Ayeka the truth about why she was actually sent to the house in episode 16. She didn't have to and could play up the fiancee role if she chose to but she clearly wanted to to make them more comfortable with the situation that nobody had any control over.
The thing to remember though is although Noike came in thinking the engagement was just a ruse to watch Tenchi (which it was), the engagement was still very real on paper. Not only did Seto want her own eyes in the household, she genuinely was hooking Noike up with Tenchi, playing up on her "matchmaker" nickname. Yosho even joked with her in episode 16 and told her she could "live up her role" a little more if she wanted to. Funny part is, a little bit further and she just might have. She was caking it up with Tenchi pretty hard in her ship lol.

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 17, 2013, 01:05:54 AMAnd concerning the whole "she came in and took over the house" issue people have with her, if you ask me, she did what she did to make the house's inhabitants more of family. "Thank you for your hard work today. Without all of your help, it would be quite impossible to keep this house under control." It's because of her that Ayeka and Ryoko can sit together and have an actual conversation. "Here exists an uncontrollable military might that belongs to no nation...and unlike you, I have the ability to turn against Tenchi if the situation warrants it." She knows they'd never turn against him, so she wants to make the house a home instead of a bunch of crazy uber-powerful broads living under one roof and fighting over this dude.

The more I watch OVA 3, the more I take a liking to Noike. She is great if you actually take the time out to get to know her.
She even won Ryoko over, that's pretty damn impressive considering she still can't stand Ayeka.

One of my only gripes with OVA 3 is it's really making me heated at how stupid Mihoshi is in this one! I adore Mihoshi in episodes 4-13 but then somehow during that year long gap before OVA 3 starts, Universe Mihoshi somehow stumbles into the wrong continuity. -_-

Quote from: LightHawkWing on February 17, 2013, 03:55:33 AM
One of my only gripes with OVA 3 is it's really making me heated at how stupid Mihoshi is in this one! I adore Mihoshi in episodes 4-13 but then somehow during that year long gap before OVA 3 starts, Universe Mihoshi somehow stumbles into the wrong continuity. -_-

Flouride in the water did it.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on February 17, 2013, 04:17:43 AM
Flouride in the water did it.
Nah, she got stupider by rotting at home laying in her bed and watching Galatic Jersey Shore all day...

Ryoko looks at the tv in disappointment.

"I find her Mary Sueish because she came in and took over the house. Everyone was powerless against her and could only listen to what she said. Within the first few episodes, the girls became utterly lost without her guidance. And you might say that the house was in chaos before Noike so it makes sense that she brought order, but I disagree. I think it was exaggerated to make Noike seem more necessary. Yes, there were moments of chaos in the Tenchi household, but there were also a lot of peaceful moments. Even before Noike showed up, in OVA 3 itself, the girls were all sitting around quietly watching Tenchi's dad put together a computer. And before that, Ayeka and Sasami nicely asked Ryoko for her help in finding Ryo-ohki, and Ryoko complied. So it's not like it was a constant struggle before Noike showed up.

As for her flaws, they're very pretty flaws that Mary Sues have a tendency to have. I mean come on, she was an orphan adopted by royalty. Yeah... that comes right out of the old Sue playbook."

March 07, 2013, 12:08:29 PM #71 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:12:03 PM by Tenchi Ryu

I SAY GOD DAYUM!!!!

I think I'm liking this Tumblr thing, got some really good contributors there. Feels nice to see some people actually remember Tenchi is apart of this show as well lol.

Yeah, I loved that confession too!

And this is what I responded with to that Noike, Mary Sue thing:

"As one of the GXP doujinshi notes, Noike is an earnest person that just never seems to be able to get married, even though she seems like she would. Perhaps Noike is so competent, earnest, and powerful, she intimidates most men, even though she could be a wonderful wife. So, men either fear her or want to use her. That worried Seto, so I'm sure that she would like it if something more developed between Noike and Tenchi."

So the "Mary Sue"-ish behavior that some fans see in Noike, that being her take charge attitude and her overpowering nature is apart of her character and apart of her development. It concerned Seto and putting her in the house with Tenchi and the girls to change her and help her was apart of the plan, not just that she would come in and take over the house which isn't/wasn't Noike's objective, making the house a family was, a surrogate family at that.

Noike's job was to come and monitor the house whose inhabitants are the most powerful people in the galaxy. She made it clear in episode 16 that they're a military might belonging to no nation; in episode 13, they proved to Funaho, Misaki, and Azusa that they have absolutely no intention of going to Jurai (as of now) so what does Seto do? Send in a den mother to keep tabs on them, of course, with a couple ulterior motives regarding the personal situation and not the political.

How did Noike hope to make sure this group with more power than any known army would never become an army? Make sure they were a family in a home instead of a bunch of uber powerful psychological cases living under a roof on an underdeveloped planet. Her ulterior motive: she needs a family. Being adopted by Seto is one thing, but I doubt they had a typical mother/daughter relationship with them being who they are so moving into the house and being integrated into a family is the best thing for her. Seto's ulterior motive: softening Noike's rough edges, taking the stick out of her ass, giving her a family, and of course, to play matchmaker as usual and as Sasami said, to throw pebbles into water to see how big the ripples are.

Ayeka and Ryoko might have yielded to letting her stay in the house, but in no way are they obedient to what she says and aren't "utterly lost without her guidance." That's not what was happening. Ryoko finally caved in episode 16 and started doing some chores and got off her lazy ass, Noike's appearance making her realize that it's what's best for Tenchi. Ryoko's line "you're a pretty good person" let us know that she knew what Noike's intentions were and just the fact that she SAID that OUT LOUD, should have solidified that for us and lets us know that the things we fans try to accuse Noike of doing are not what she was doing.

March 07, 2013, 01:51:50 PM #73 Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:00:06 PM by Tenchi Ryu

Lighthawk Wing and Tenchi Ryu have presented honest replies.  Kajishima had confessed that OVA 3 would focus on the Chousin/Z, and other elements like Tenchi's extended family. Kajishima had intrroduce Mihoshi's own family the Kuramitsu Family.   We got a chance to see how slightly dysfunctional the Kuramitsu Family is as well as close the family members are.
Washu's husband was a member of the Kuramitsu family. Now, only a few members of the family are aware of the truth that they have a Chousin as a member of their family.

Kaijishima  did make a few mistakes on the side. He had forgotten to mention that the G.A. General talking to Mihoshi's grandfather the Marshall was Mihoshi's father Nakita Kuramitsu. Nakita was not thrill over the fact that the Marshall had  allow his son Misao to borrow the keys to the family's latest battleship the Chobimaru.

One of the only things which I hated about OVA 3 were the way which the news of the death of Tenchi's mother was handled. Kiyone's death was treated as a bad joke.  Tenchi's recollection of Kiyone's wake was beter than how Katsuhito and Nobuyuki had explain how Kiyone had died. Kiyone had simply died from old age, even thru she look like a woman in her mid-thirties.

We do expect that Sasami will start thinking about finding friends who will be around her own age. If there is an OVA 4, Sasami knows that she will be going to school in the nearest town.  Sasami will likely meet a girl around her age in the first episode.  It is likely that the name of Sasami's friend will be Misao. Tenchi will likely meet his other siblings during the Obon Festival.    The Obon Festival is a way for Kajishima to allow Tenchi to meet his other siblings.  Tenchi may meet Tennyo's husband, too.

:how: :huhm: