Why do people hate the 3rd OVA?

Started by Empress of Jurai, November 07, 2012, 09:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: takahata on March 07, 2013, 04:50:11 PM
Tenchi may meet Tennyo's husband boyfriend, too.

FTFY. ;)
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

I know I didn't like OVA 3 because it confused the hell out of me after watching OVAs 1 and 2 and not GXP afterward. But I'm watching GXP on Youtube right now and it makes OVA3 make so much more sense now.

Quote from: SAF2013 on March 08, 2013, 01:09:48 AM
I know I didn't like OVA 3 because it confused the hell out of me after watching OVAs 1 and 2 and not GXP afterward. But I'm watching GXP on Youtube right now and it makes OVA3 make so much more sense now.

ya I usually tell new people to the series to watch GXP before OVA 3 helps a lot

Yea Japan really had it good since GXP aired first, so a lot of the stuff, from Seto's matchmaking fetish to Airi's relationship to the family was already explained.

One joke that was explained in GXP is that she doesn't like being called grandma, and Tenchi even comments on this in GXP episode 17. So fans were probably eager to see what happens when he would inevitably call her that. Though he got off a little easier than expected, probably cause he was a first time offender.

March 08, 2013, 01:34:12 AM #79 Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 01:37:23 AM by SAF2013
heh that joke was easy for me to get since she's probably how many 100s of years old again? I notice GXP is a lot more ecchi than the earlier OVAs or TV series LOL. Not that I'm complaining, I'm a bit of a perv myself so I find it as a nice surprise. Kinda wish I hadn't spoiled myself though in knowing that Tenchi and the gang will show up in a later episode. I probably should have watched this yeeears ago but for some reason the idea of Tenchi (because that's who it looked like in the official art) leading a galaxy police fleet seemed off putting. I don't know why since the idea was original. I guess I was more into battle anime at the time.

I noticed the Kiyone talk a page back and I really liked her older character, well design anyway. I enjoyed the whole buddy cop gag between her and Mihoshi that it sucks not seeing it be used anymore by the creator. I guess her alternative in the OVAs is fine, I mean she is a better character than the original Kiyone but I miss her disdain for Mihoshi's antics and struggling to deal with her. Although I'm really liking her alternatives (I forget her name in the OVAs) design. Its grown on me. She looks a lot sexier than the original Kiyone.

Quote from: SAF2013 on March 08, 2013, 01:34:12 AMI noticed the Kiyone talk a page back and I really liked her older character, well design anyway. I enjoyed the whole buddy cop gag between her and Mihoshi that it sucks not seeing it be used anymore by the creator. I guess her alternative in the OVAs is fine, I mean she is a better character than the original Kiyone but I miss her disdain for Mihoshi's antics and struggling to deal with her. Although I'm really liking her alternatives (I forget her name in the OVAs) design. Its grown on me. She looks a lot sexier than the original Kiyone.

:wtf:

Noike is okay, but I though Kiyone was a sexi gyrl.  She's who I chose as my SI's mother

:frustrated:

image sharing
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Well in terms of character design, I still prefer TU!Kiyone over Noike. Now Noike grew on me and I fully accept her as a character in the Tenchi canon. But going purely on design was, still prefer TU!Kiyone. And she still remains my second favorite girl to be paired with Tenchi in any timeline/alternate universe/etc. Second only to Tenchi/Tsunami(older Sasami). Not the loli version you sick bastard.  :doom:

*I mean I still prefer Harem ending above all. But I still have a preference in the girls. :P

Quote from: SimmyC on March 09, 2013, 02:47:37 PMBut going purely on design was, still prefer TU!Kiyone. And she still remains my second favorite girl to be paired with Tenchi in any timeline/alternate universe/etc. Second only to Tenchi/Tsunami(older Sasami).

Good taste!  :soqoot:

I once read a Tenchi/Sasami/Kiyone fanfic, do you like that sort of idea?

Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

A submission I just got:

"When talking about OVA 3 haters' hatred for that season, I read something someone said about getting rid of Seto and I honestly got so dumbfounded and frustrated. Do you know how much of the story would be lost or just not happening without Seto? This is the woman who got Azusa to become Emperor in the first place and made way for him to marry Misaki so that Aeka and Sasami could be born. The woman who fought for Azusa to marry Funaho despite bigotry. The woman who knew that Yosho was unha unhappy being a chained up prince with unrequited love and trapped in an unwanted arranged engagement and sent him to the Academy to make him better, give him freedom and even taught Airi how to cook to please him despite the fact that her planet is at WAR with Jurai and knowing he was engaged to Aeka. This is the woman who made the way for Yosho and Airi to get married, making the way for the main character of the entire freaking show. The woman who kept it a secret for 700 years that she knew where Yosho was so that he could continue to be happy and could continue his plans for our main character which began the show with Ryoko and Aeka's arrival. I feel like people don't even pay attention to OVA 3 and just "oh shit there goes a new character, lemme roll my eyes and suck my teeth because they're new" I'm not excusing the fact that OVA 3 was a cramped piece of rushed material but some complaints are simply ridiculous"

March 13, 2013, 01:20:57 AM #84 Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 01:22:29 AM by Tenchi Ryu
New post on the Tumblr:

"Well I think some people in the Tenchi fandom can be summed up as "oh my favorite character isn't put on a pedestal above all the other equally important characters so i HATE this show" or "I'm gonna state some opinion and have nothing to support it or back it up"

LOL, the internet is a bitch ain't it.

Still that's nothing, this is just some anime characters and most of the "shit-talking" between anime fans is just troll fake tough guy shit. I guarantee half the folks wouldn't being saying that in someone's face.

Now Sports on the other hand, that shit gets real....Oh if I don't like your team and you're in MY arena, I'm gonna let you know lol.
https://www.youtube.com/v/Gps9vq83UIA

Now that's dedication, and that's not even Hockey. Even I don't try to go to a BlackHawks game and talk shit lol

On my list of blog topics, this has been one for me to do for a few years now (along with a "Back to the Archive" review of OVA 3 and OVA 3+1). I've got to try to do that this year and not get distracted by...ooooh! Shiny object over there!

Quote from: AstroNerdBoy on April 19, 2013, 03:21:20 AM
On my list of blog topics, this has been one for me to do for a few years now (along with a "Back to the Archive" review of OVA 3 and OVA 3+1). I've got to try to do that this year and not get distracted by...ooooh! Shiny object over there!

ABOUT GOD DAMN TIME

:chord: :chord: :chord: Great News to hear!

Okay, I've got to ask one thing:
If the first thing I watched was OVA3 (subbed) and it totally made sense to me... where does that put me?

April 23, 2013, 09:11:16 PM #89 Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:13:25 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Quote from: For Washuu on April 23, 2013, 08:01:02 PM
Okay, I've got to ask one thing:
If the first thing I watched was OVA3 (subbed) and it totally made sense to me... where does that put me?
In the group with every other person who's watched OVA 3 for the first time in the last 2-3 years.

One of the main things people complain about is being confused. But i can bet that majority of these same people are watching it Dubbed. That's a HUGE no no. Funimation did a even worse job than Pioneer did with the english translation. You have to watch it subbed as well as dubbed not cause of preference, but because the subbed version literally explains everything. The Noike-Kagato drama, the counter-actor drama and about Tenchi's existence, Washu literally explains all of this. The guy who did the actual translating would go over stuff with ANB, and made sure he took it with care since he was explicitly told all the details are very important when dealing with Kaji. And it shows, he did a very good job, so I have no clue why the dub did what it did.

But I've never really had an issue with it either. Yea I've gone to rewatch scenes more than once, but that's more so for research when I'm explaining something like on this forum. But in the first go, I was never really stumped or left clueless. But if the other people are still asking how Tenchi was a god in the first place, then its gonna be a hard time explaining to you anyway.

Now Evangelion? That's something that makes me LOST, I'm still stumped by a lot of that stuff. Learning about the Walls of Jericho and shit like that, I would have NEVER known Asuka's feelings for Shinji was THAT deep if I never researched it.  :staredog: :staredog: