[AiTM] The new "Tenchi Muyo" series is a Negishi created AU

Started by antvasima, August 01, 2014, 01:25:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'll postpone shitting on it in case the girls are revealed later, I mean, there's no way they're making a Tenchi series without the girls... right?

:shepicide:
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

After the announcement of the reboot of the Sailor Moon series,  a work of fanart was mistaken to be the characters of the new series.  The work of fanart had focus msotly on what happen to the Original Salior Moon characters.   The fanart series had includes the daughters of the first series. The series was wll done.  It is a lot like Sailor Moon: The Next Generation.

I feel that the new Tenchi Muyo series should be treated as a part of the Tenchi Muyo franchise.  I do want a fourth OVA and a spinoff which will  focus on the next generation of Tenchi Muyo.

:shygirl: :Hap: :vrage: :payup:

Quote from: Tensami on August 02, 2014, 12:36:13 PMI'll postpone shitting on it in case the girls are revealed later, I mean, there's no way they're making a Tenchi series without the girls... right?

:shepicide:

Masaki Kajishima created a Hentai Drama once called Masquerade (Masq).  Several years down the line, but not too long after, they made Masq2 without him, and they changed the character designs radically but they were still recognizable.  Think of something like how different TMiL2 looks from TMOAV.  The masq sequel, like TU/TinT, gave him the obligatory creator credit without the character designer credit.  I think the OAV alone gives him character design credit since they use his.  That and the sequel story kinda drops most of the threads left at the end of OAV1.

This is pure speculation, but I think he let all those AUs and stuff go on because it likely gave him exposure and a healthy payment but he withheld his own designs as a way to visually say to his fans who know his style "I had nothing to do with this series."  He also allows the similiar designs out of good faith to his company.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you and all that.

So he goes into AIC over this latest anime with art hinted at in his doujin and wants to deal in good faith, and they brush him off for this idea instead.  He feels handled shittily, so instead of going with the flow as during the 90s, he goes nuclear and tells them they can't use his character designs, they're gonna have to start from scratch.  Depending how much he owns, he allows the Tenchi Masaki name to be used but that's it.

That is the only explanation I can think of.  Perhaps the doujin from Comiket will give us more insight.

Tenchi Muyo has been really one of the most mishandled properties I know of.  AIC pushed so hard to never have the situation change, they killed it with stagnation.  I can't help but wonder what hand MK had in this by pushing GXP or WoG -- which are side properties that most people had no burning need to see.  Was he obligated?  Was it his idea?  Idk.  MK is rather unfocused at times, it would be nice for someone to narrow that into a laser.

But this year the doujin -If- started things off the right foot.  Finally, something the fans wanted to see for years goes forward.  And then we get this.  Years upon years of having the Tenchi label slapped on unrelated things (granted, ISK as TM:WoG is only in America), I fear this will finally kill the remaining fanbase, it being what it is left.  At least in America, I have no clue what the situation is in Japan.

Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Quote from: shades of blue on August 02, 2014, 09:42:49 AM
Quote from: antvasima on August 02, 2014, 12:30:03 AM
The Yakuza are behind this?

Yes and no? A couple years back AIC was bought by a pachinko company and after being used as an excuse to write-off all their financial losses, was "sold" back at about 10% of what they originally paid for it. While owned by the "pachinko company" they produced such trash like season two of Oreimo.

So AIC is not currently owned by the Yakuza?
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

"Many of Tenchi fan in JP are also displeased with casts this time and shouting "We NO need Tenchi, we need Sasami (or Ryoko)!""

Looks like our friends overseas don't like it ether.

Would anybody like to help out with responding?

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=4318882

Mod note: Text partially removed.  Links are fine.  But let's not name names.  We don't want to initiate flame wars between certain parties.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on August 02, 2014, 02:43:03 PM
"Many of Tenchi fan in JP are also displeased with casts this time and shouting "We NO need Tenchi, we need Sasami (or Ryoko)!""

Looks like our friends overseas don't like it ether.

Well I need Tenchi too :)  I'm not getting him either this time around, just someone with the same name and a bishi character design :/
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

Quote from: antvasima on August 02, 2014, 02:10:21 PM
So AIC is not currently owned by the Yakuza?
Nope, they sold it at a profit and the next company sold it back to President Miura at a yen a share.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

So the good folks that are the Japanese Tenchi fanbase don't like this either?  Then yeah, it seems that all the hard work that Kajishima has been doing for the past year or so (Such as the -If- doujin that Jibs mentioned) has been pretty much for nothing.  We know for an absolute fact now that the powers that be are slapping the creator of this series in the face as well as the fans.  I am hoping that Kajishima realizes this soon and decides to stand up to AIC (Who obviously have lost their greatness in recent years - more than likely due to the reasons mentioned), and then switch companies.  It's pretty much the only proper choice he has now if he hopes to finish the series.

If that doesn't happen, well... worldwide Tenchi fanbase train wreck in 3, 2, 1...
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

So they finally released the artwork and information about the new series?

Well let's start my opinion off with:

1.The new art design. Kinda understand that they want to attract some new folks to the brand but it kinda contradicts itself seeing how its only 5 min long each episode and the whole thing is made to promote a city in Japan. Feels tacky, I originally envision a mix between the OVAs and those anime with the unfinished backgrounds but I guess its not bad...I mean I like Durarara's artwork and they even made Tenchi more of a bishi than he was before imo.

2.These new girls. This pissed me off more than anything. I think they want to gauge more fan reaction by leaving out the iconic Tenchi girls like Ryoko and Ayeka but I really don't like that idea. If anything they should've at least had 1 or 2 of the older Tenchi girls appear in the promotion art. This is leading to speculation that the original girls won't be appearing in the series and that they've been replaced with these new girls that look like generic romcom anime #1392. They're making me not care about these new girls by not showing some of the other girls first.

3.Not an OVA continuation. This hurts as well. I want those loose ends to be wrapped up from OVA 3 but at the same time I'm glad since this means that if this series does well we might have a chance at a full 1 or 2 cour 22-minute episode OVA 4 with Tenchi's children finally animated. Do you really want 5 minutes each week to explain everything that happens after OVA 3? I just don't see that being possible.

4.Another AU confusion. At this point it's gonna confuse new fans who are interested in this franchise more since its another AU of Tenchi and this time it uses Muyo in the title. Bad enough there are people asking me which is the preferred order of watching Tenchi and I have to keep on telling them that Universe,Tokyo and Pretty Sammy are separate from the OVAs. Now its another case of "Well it has Muyo in the title, Isn't this a continuation of TM!Ryo-Ohki?"

Overall, quite a surprise and I can understand the anger you all feel but at the same time this is just the beginning. I want to reserve full judgement until I either see more artwork/synopsis or when I watch it. I usually don't like to be extremely blunt in opinions unless I see the whole picture.

Uh.....

How exactly are we suppose to be watching this again?

I doubt crunchy roll will do it, I doubt fansub groups will do it, and at best we'll get some japanese raw rips from torrents. Maybe.

Seriously doe, how are we watching this again?

I'm sure that the raws will be released. Alternatively we will get a rip of the bluray collection in a year. I only buy media that I genuinely like though, and will only check this out in hope that the old cast will show up.

This site might host the torrents: http://torrenters.com

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on August 05, 2014, 02:03:31 AM
Uh.....

How exactly are we suppose to be watching this again?

I doubt crunchy roll will do it, I doubt fansub groups will do it, and at best we'll get some japanese raw rips from torrents. Maybe.

Seriously doe, how are we watching this again?

Just turn on the TV