What Anime are you currently watching?

Started by Surgeon Of Death, November 07, 2014, 11:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
At this point, due to the delays that have come up for Kantai Collection Season 2 and also delays that have hit several other anime (Albeit unlike Kancolle Season 2 they're not shows I'm watching), I've shifted my approach to watching seasonal anime a bit. Unless the show is a long runner rather than a seasonal anime (Such as Digimon Ghost Game or the various tokusatsu) or is something I'm really looking forward to, I'm gonna wait for every episode to release and then binge it going forward. I ain't falling for the "show I've been watching just got put on hiatus and I have to wait several weeks and risk losing track of where I was" trap ever again. Falling for that trap for the first time in all of my years watching anime with Kancolle Season 2 was enough for me to put my foot down and say "Do you want WarOmnimon to wait and then binge watch? Because that's how you get WarOmnimon to wait and then binge watch", LOL.

That being said, here's my watchlist right now, divided into categories, watching as it airs or waiting until it finishes and then binging. Again, the toku I'm watching or will be watching is included.

Watching as it airs (Or episodes are released in one case)
•Digimon Ghost Game (Side note, this is going down next to Tamers and Savers as one of my favorite seasons once it's done; Gammamon is best boy, no contest)
•Genjitsu no Yohane (Confirmed to air this year but which season hasn't been announced yet)
•Gridman Universe (This one's a movie but listing it here for consistency)
•Ohsama Sentai Kingohger (Yes, we finally got an insect Super Sentai)
•Tenchi Muyo! GXP Paradise Beginnings Arc
•THE iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls U149
•THE iDOLM@STER Million Live
•Ultraman Blazer (Not yet officially announced but confirmed to be the 2023 season of Ultraman via copyright listings, etc.)

Binging once every episode has aired
•Birdie Wing Season 2 (I need to watch the rest of Season 1 first as I'm only 2 or 3 episodes in right now, but I'm still listing it here for consistency)
•Dr. Stone Season 3
•Kantai Collection Season 2 (Got halfway through and then it went straight to consistent hiatus hell, hence me taking this new approach of separating shows into "watch as it airs" or "binge once it's done")
•My Hero Academia Season 6

...High School DxD Season 5 when? I wanna see mah boi Issei kicking butt and impressing his girls again...
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

There was/is so much mediocre stuff this season that I started with a packed schedule. But shows are dropping like flies (or delayed to completion).

I was surprised at how much I dislike the Trigun reimagining. By bringing Knives front and center they've also put the whole ugliness of the story to the forefront. That episode of people being bombed to bits or shred up with knives (because they decided to be stupidly literal with Knives) and most of the town in the first arc killed... I'm just left thinking "why watch this?" I guess I'll see how it goes.
Oddly, kinda the same with Buddy Daddies... Oh, how sweet, the cute girl's daddies are ruthless assassins. Yeah, of "bad guys" but still....
I once had a dream where I was a super-spy, James Bond type, I was making my way through a warehouse setting, ducking around and running through bullet spray with no care as I killed the nameless minions who can never hit me because "I'm the main character." But in the dream, I'm aware as a nameless nobody jumps around a girder, blindly shoots at me and the bullet goes straight in my head. I've "died" a couple times in dreams like this- it gives me a jolt and I wake up. Ever since then I have had no patience for good guy killers dodging a hail of bullets with only plot armor for protection.... So Buddy Daddies cut.

I'm left watching some sequels and isekai or adjacent shows. With Reincarnated Princess & the Genius Young Lady as the "highlight"- just becasue the MC is such a fun genki girl.
A couple sweet romcoms showing too, but maybe not worth mentioning by name.

I guess the ones others are calling "the best" could be good, but are action shows and I'd rather just wait to see if they end up worth binging later.
...in my pants

March 07, 2023, 06:17:45 PM #107 Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 05:36:45 PM by WarOmnimon
Okay, so my to-watch list has not changed too much since my last post, with only one show being legitimately added to it, and that being The Cafe Terrace and its Goddesses. I also forgot to list Senki Zesshou Symphogear's upcoming sixth season, so I added that as well. Sad that Digimon Ghost Game only has two episodes left, and even sadder that we have to go through a 2 week hiatus to get to them. *Shakes fist at the TV marathons*

Also, watched Ousama Sentai King-Ohger's first episode recently and, well... oh my Shugod. (See what I did there?) Easily the best first episode of a Super Sentai season I've seen in a long time and I am glad that I will be watching this consistently as it airs.

Time for an updated list...

Watching as it airs (Or episodes are released in one case)
•Digimon Ghost Game (Only two episodes left, but with more content still incoming for the Vital Bracelet BE this ain't the last of my Digimon hype for this year... also pretty darn happy about ClavisAngemon, Rafflesimon, and Bloomlordmon showing up before the end)
•Genjitsu no Yohane (Now confirmed for the Summer 2023 anime season)
•Gridman Universe (This one's a movie but listing it here for consistency)
•Ousama Sentai King-Ohger (IT HAS BEGUN...)
•Tenchi Muyo! GXP Paradise Beginnings Arc
•The Cafe Terrace and its Goddesses
•THE iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls U149
•THE iDOLM@STER Million Live!
•THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors
•Ultraman Blazer (The first teaser was shown recently and I am digging what little we saw of Blazer's design)

Binging once every episode has aired
•Birdie Wing Season 2 (Again, I need to watch the rest of Season 1 first, still need to get to that)
•Dr. Stone Season 3
•Kantai Collection Season 2 (Shoutout to our girl Shigure who got the franchise's first ever Kai San remodel in the penultimate episode, can't wait until the final episode later this month to see what this form is capable of)
•My Hero Academia Season 6
•Senki Zesshou Symphogear Season 6 (Whenever it comes out and whatever it's called; all we know right now is that it's happening)

UPDATE on March 20 Holy mother of King Drasil, we actually got confirmation that an anime for Shiny Colors is en route before Cinderella Girls U149 started airing, let alone Million Live!. Updated my lists to reflect this.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

So, the Summer 2023 anime season... honestly, the year is winding down for me in terms of how much I'm going to be watching. There are a boatload of sequels that I'm not ready for and most of the shows in this season otherwise just do not have my attention. The only two shows I'm watching this coming season are Genjitsu no Yohane: Sunshine in the Mirror (This is an AU spinoff of Love Live! Sunshine!! which I have watched to completion so of course I'm going to be watching this) and Level 1 Demon Lord and One Room Hero (Which definitely looks like it's going to be a fun romp).

...oh right, Ultraman Blazar. That starts in July as well. I know it's tokusatsu, but as I always do when talking about what I'm watching or planning to watch, I'm mentioning it anyway.

As for Autumn 2023, that season currently only has one show I'm going to be watching. However, comma... that show just so happens to be THE iDOLM@STER Million Live!, which is my most anticipated show for this year. In other words, 2023 gets to end on a high note where I'm watching the one show I've been waiting for the most all year and not have to pay attention to anything else (Except the aforementioned Ultraman Blazar as it will still be running) in the process, LOL. Beyond that, the future looks bright for me with THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors incoming as part of the Spring 2024 anime season and a new Kinnikuman anime en route (No word on if it's a sequel or reboot yet, but I'm watching it either way).

Also, Satelight... when are we going to hear more about the Senki Zesshou Symphogear Season 6 you promised us last year? And to whoever is in charge of it right now, can we please get High School DxD Season 5? *Shakes fist*

Another season for Symphogear would be super duper.
Meanwhile, am considering watching the 2021 anime Far Away Paladin. Supposed to be epic.

Tuesday, I binge watched Magical Girl Site.  It was.... interestingly ... dark.  At any rate, it gave me an idea for a role playing plot mechanic. :)