Another episode of Japan getting the good stuff: TU edition

Started by Tenchi Ryu, October 09, 2012, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So once again, my Overall Tenchi materials mentor Shades has shown me how ONCE AGAIN, we lose out compared to japan, in this case on the tech side.

So to "celebrate" the recent Tenchi Universe release, let us take a look how the R2 (japanese) DVDs are superior to the ones we had, and likely the ones Funimation rereleased.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/150432/picture:0

Mouse OFF the image is Funimation/R1 dvds, Mouse ON the image is Japanese/R2 dvds....

Just a crisper, clearer overall better product.

I just looked on youtube, there was a really bad video review about the new Universe box set and in the comments, the uploader claims it's the same old encode. Also they apparently crammed all 26 episodes on a mere 4 discs, which adds a lot of credence to his claim, as the original Pioneer R1 release was composed of 8 DVD5s. So they likely just redid the menus to incorporate twice the number of episodes and stored everything on DVD9s. Bam, instant re-release with half the disc count and minimal effort on their part...  :o

Funimation's Tenchi Universe release now 100% confirmed to be repacked Pioneer R1 encode. What you get is half the discs, new crappy menus and the subtitles adjusted from yellow to white.

UGH, tell me about it. I just rented The Avengers on Blu Ray last week, and had to sit through ALL that shit. Get to the damn movie all ready. At least Netflix don't pull that ad bullshit (for now).

Netflix may get worse.  Back when they started streaming, they signed a contract with the studios for $30 million (a year?).  It was very cheap because the streaming market was nothing so $30M was a good addition to the studios for no extra work.  It was like their first toe in the internet waters.  Might as well get something than have it only pirated

But the thing to remember about movies and stuff, is they have a life cycle.  First is theaters, but then they have Pay Per View, Airplane viewings, HBO/Cinemax/Starz, DVD/Bluray.  Channels like HBO/Cinemax get ticked if people can get the movies much cheaper with streaming, so they complain, and since they pay much more, I think Netflix is going to have to renegotiate terms with the studios at a severe disadvantage when the contract expires.

I never used Netflix, but I do have an Amazon Prime account just for the cheap, fast shipping, and I discovered I get a lot of free streaming video there and it's pretty nice.  Not DVD quality, but still...

There's more here:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/05/netflix-snares-the-first-of-many-major-studios/

Bottom line, I expect netflix to get more expensive sometime.  But it will get better content.  I hope though, they never get ads.  That would suck.  It's already making Youtube suck.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Youtube is messed up, but Adblocker takes care of that for me. Hulu on the other hand wants to be a bitch and make you SIT thought a blank black screen for up to an entire 2 mins at times if it detects an adblocker.