Visual Novel Fan Adaption

Started by Eff Efferson, October 23, 2019, 11:46:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 23, 2019, 11:46:26 AM Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 11:30:51 PM by Eff Efferson
So... I'm doing a lot of hobby programming these days... and I decided to try my hand at something...
I made a fully stable Alpha version of a visual novel adaption of GXP volume 8 chapters 1 and 2.
It's just a proof of concept... I'm not quite sure I could actually do it for the entire series or would even want to, But I managed to crank out three chapters in three days and that only took that long because I didn't have assets in the engine yet and art is time consuming.

Any who enjoy,  feedback is appreciated

Edit: new links are up

windows version
https://mega.nz/#!LNwWnCgJ!DtIuywyuDcpI3_FPtyGEhV88jo0fuwXLzRuCiTD0Ccw

to view on mobile browser:
http://tenchimuyotranslationblog.x10host.com/
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I decided to throw in one last chapter and make some updates to the over all background workings of the thing.

The 3rd chapters focus on developing neiju which is lacking from the anime and the example of how airis different in the novels and the appearance of  several novel only characters was too good for me to leave out in the event this is all i ever do with the project. updated links posted above

also couldn't get the damn android version to build ugh. easy and simply my ass...
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

This is a neat idea, but it would definitely need a lot of work if you decided to do more. I only got through a few bits of dialogue because it ran like garbage on my laptop, but the assets you're using are really rough. The portraits you're using are really short, so there is a lot of headroom. The anime screenshot you used for the background is a blurry mess.

This is a personal thing, but I'm not sure I would really want to play this over just reading the novel itself. The most interesting part of visual novels for me is having multiple routes, and you wouldn't be able to do that here.

Quote from: Ryo-Okay on October 27, 2019, 12:14:04 PM
This is a neat idea, but it would definitely need a lot of work if you decided to do more. I only got through a few bits of dialogue because it ran like garbage on my laptop, but the assets you're using are really rough. The portraits you're using are really short, so there is a lot of headroom. The anime screenshot you used for the background is a blurry mess.

This is a personal thing, but I'm not sure I would really want to play this over just reading the novel itself. The most interesting part of visual novels for me is having multiple routes, and you wouldn't be able to do that here.

oh yeah the first two are rough the last one i had more assets so it came out better imo. i only made it to get used to the engine im using the engine for something else far more important. if i go back to work on it id definatly soup it up some more. it needs more animation the lazy ununiformity needs to be fixed id throw in all sorts of details and fixes but honestly i dont think theres a demand i just had fun making it also makes re reading it easier on me...
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

If you want to save time, low poly 3d models with the character art stretched over them. That is something I've tried before in putting together a Tenchi Muyo mod for the Sims games. You end up using a rotated monitor and brush to tweak the clothing and skin textures, smoothing out obvious vertices and such. Makehuman is a freeware body editor tool that can be adjusted to more cartoony proportions.

Anyway this might be the end result going that route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=608uFaPncz0