Summer 2012 Summer season wrap up...

Started by Tenchi Ryu, October 02, 2012, 03:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
October 02, 2012, 03:56:11 PM Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 04:04:28 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Well, the summer season has come to an end, and with Fall right around the corner (next week as of this post actually), need to go on and give my final reviews for the shows I watched and my overall feelings....(Click the title if you want more info on the show).

Hagure Yuusha no Estetica

Genres: Action, Ecchi, Fantasy, Super Power
Episodes: 12

Well, might as well start with the most controversial one, that and its the first one that finished its run on my list. To be blunt, people either loved it for the super badass don't give a f$%k main character Akatsuki, or hated it for the foul, mean sexist bastard Akatsuki. I fall into the former category. After years and years of seeing main characters who act like bitches and have no backbone, this was easily my guilty pleasure of the season. Was he a jerk at times? Sure. Did I like him anyway? You bet. The action was pretty good, and the actual story is pretty interesting. In fact, its the reason why its getting so much (negative) attention (mostly from women) cause the story is something of legit quality you wouldn't normally see in your average RomCom. The girls themselves provided decent fanservice, which is expected since this was created by ARMS, same company known for Ikkitousnen and Queen's Blade. Though honestly, the girls themselves were nothing to brag about. For me, it was all about watching Akatsuki be BOSS each episode.

Many people complained they felt he was too strong, too much of a Gary Stu. The others on the other hand loved Akatsuki for this exact reason. I loved it cause it made sense, the premise of the story is that this is his story AFTER he's beaten the "big bad boss", so of course it makes sense he's overly powerful. This anime was to tell the story of what happens AFTER the hero beats the game. And for the most part (Which I'm sure Adam being a WOW fan can contest to), ain't my fault I leveled up and nothing weak can touch me  :P

In the end, this gets a 10/10 from me, a super biased score because I've witnessed and loved possibly the most badass male character in an ecchi harem without the Surname Masaki.

Kuroko no Basket

Genres: Comedy, School, Shounen, Sports
Episodes: 25

As a huge Basketball fan, I was really looking forward to this series from the start back in the Spring. It did not disappoint and left me wanting more, which if according to the new stats showing the sales, looks likely. Now the realism did drop at times, but I was able to overlook that since the show itself always left me entertained and at the edge of my seat. There was funny moments, moments of intense action, and sad moments of reflection. All in all, even if you AREN'T a sports fan and just want something with a strong plot and entertaining, I strongly recommend this show. Final score 9/10.

Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, Supernatural

Dakara started off well, the comedy was great and I enjoyed the silly situations. Unfortunately, the show fell into a disaster in the second half of the show when trying to attempt the one thing many comedy shows can't do right, adding a serious theme to the series. Unfortunately, not all shows can be like Tenchi and make you laugh and feel emotion, and this one failed....HARD. The "drama" was boring and repetitive. It also became VERY predictable what would happen next at times. The worst thing for me however, was the lead female character, Lisara. She was an absolute bitch, and my vote for worst female lead of the season. She never developed, treated Ryousuke like shit, and even AFTER the love confessions, still went back to her same bitch Tsundere ways when he wanted to get affectionate with her. The relationship also felt forced, as if she only won BECAUSE she was the main character. Two other girls got way better development than her, and IMHO, got shafted. Add that to the shit poor Dvd sales its showing, this looks like something that will never see the light of day again...GOOD. A shame too, started off great, to only go to shit at the end. Final score 5/10.

Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate

Genres: Drama, Romance

Another of your typical Ero Visual Novels turned anime, so you pretty much know what to expect. The thing here though is that the plot itself was great with the problems arising with the schools overall corrutption and politics. If it would have focused on this alone, this would have gotten a VERY high score, unfortunately though, its not called Senkyo ti Chocolate, but Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate. That means with the first word being Koi (which means love), we have to deal with romance. The problem I had with the route chosen is that it killed all the realism and common sense the series held together at first. It left many and hundreds of other viewers scratching their heads at how and why things were going the way they was. The chosen girl went through different stages, from a normal childhood friend, to jealous friend, to full blown psycho, to crazy Yandere, to perfect saint. Anime Magic Bullshit at its finest. Other than the fans who wanted this pairing, the ending left a sour taste in the viewers mouth. Another series that started strong, and ended crappy. Finale score 6/10.

Kono Naka ni Hitori, Imouto ga Iru!

Genres: Comedy, Ecchi, Romance, School, Harem, Seinen

Following the trend of romantic comedy shows I watched, this one actually was the opposite of the previous two shows. With this one, I actually was bored of it at first, but then it got better as it went on. One reason I feel this series came out successful is cause it stayed true to the original premise. It wanted you guessing who the little sister was, and would tease you, but left you wanted to know. The harem aspect was your typical generic stuff, but that isn't what interested me. I cared about finding out the sister case, and became more and more intrigued as the search got serious near the end. In the end, I can say I was pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the series at the end, although I'm not sure if I'll spend time rewatching it anytime soon. Final score 7/10.

Binbougami ga!

Genres: Comedy, Parody, Supernatural
Episodes: 13

Now this series was funny as shit. I'm pretty sure all of you say "lol" or "lmao" at times but not really laughing hard or loud. This show had certain pieces each episode that made me do just that. There were times were I was literally in tears from the humor. This being a parody series, the parodies were top notch, from the use of Goku pwning Vegeta, to the characters acting out the infamous "still scenes" from Death Note. Not surprised considering this is Sunrise though, who is known for their high quality work (Gundam, Code Geass, Mai Hime, etc). This might not have been my favorite show, but was EASILY the funniest show of the season. I can't recommend this series strong enough. The ironic part is that the relationship of the two characters is very batty, and they are constantly down each other's throat. It immediately reminded me of the dynamic of Ryoko and Ayeka's relationship. Final score 8.5/10

Campione!

Genres: Comedy, Magic, Romance, Harem

Looking at the picture I chose, if you know me and what I like, you should easily see why this was my favorite of the season, and even managed to crack my top 5 anime. I'll post a review I wrote on AnimeSuki...
QuotePay attention and pay attention well. This ladies and gentlemen, is a Harem ending. Not that crap where he doesn't make a choice and feels incomplete, a real harem ending where there is no damn need for a choice, cause he gets ALL of them.

Now for my review that's kinda biased lol.

As some of you've heard me mention over and over, I am a Tenchi fan, therefore I use it as a template when grading other harems. What I look for is a strong male who has a courage, beautiful girls who love him eternally, a somewhat decent plot that's more than just the ecchi, for me, and a sign that a TRUE HAREM will happen. Campione definitely fits the bill.

I found all the girls likable, and that's a plus when dealing with a harem. While Godou could be dense at times, he has the gift to catch on quick, which was very useful in the series, not only with dealing with enemies, but for him to understand the situation he is in probably for the rest of his life. The action was top notch, the comedy was decent, and I was waiting for the next episode after each episode ending. This and Hagure were my favorite shows, but while Hagure has a better MC imo, Campione had better harem members.

This was the best harem show for me since Sekirei and Sora no Otoshimono, which has similar qualities. I can definitely say this will be added to my personal collection, and will be watched again for replay at some point in time. From a straight up unbiased POV, this gets a 8 out of 10. I'm not a novel reader, so luckily I didn't come in here with expectations from the Novel, I was here to simply be entertained, and I was. From a biased True Harem lover though, this gets a 10 out of 10 from me, had everything I love in an anime and left me very satisfied and eager for more.

A season 2 is probably unlikely, but I'd be more than glad to welcome one.
So not only he get them 4, he get the loli god Athena

And the Sexy Milf Zola...

So in the end, what was the show campione about? Here's your answer

And yes, they all kiss him, in the final episode they all kiss him within 4 minutes of each other.....BAWS.
Final score 10/10

Dog Days'

Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Magic, Shounen

The sequel season to the series Dog Days, the second season was just as good as the first. What you see in the picture is exactly what you get, a lighthearted competition anime where it doesn't take itself seriously and its all about good ole fun, and because of this simplistic approach, it works, works well. It also sells like hotcakes, so its pretty popular and I can see a season 3 eventually being made. Seven Arcs, make season 3 all you want, but I will be so pissed if you give this a season 3 before Sekirei, its been long enough dammit.  >:( >:( >:(
Final score 8/10

Kyoukaisenjou no Horizon II

Genres: Action, Fantasy

KnH, more commonly known as "Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere" finishes its second season. Just as the first season, the plot is so jumbled and confusing that you're left wondering what in the hell is going on. At the same time, just like last season, the action, music and overall feel is so awesome you're left saying "F$%k the plot". Hard to explain, but Horizon leaves you very satisfied and wanting more. You get engulfed into each episode with the top notch action, awesome soundtrack, and hilarious bits every now and then. So I will be pretty much like everyone else, and await the VERY likely season 3 announcement. Final score 8/10.

Well that does it, my final scores and reviews for the shows that finished. I still have two shows that are airing, but since those are both 2 cour series (meaning they are more than 12-13 episodes), they will end in the upcoming Fall season. Those two shows are:

Muv Luv

An action mecha series that is adding a little romance. Its pretty enjoyable, and the action is nice. Although I must warn those that are interested, this shit has its extreme gore moments. I've never been so glad for tv censors in an anime in my life, and looking at some of the pics from the Blu ray, that shit is NAASSSSSS-TTTEEEEEEEYYY

Sword Art Online

The super hyped up show of the year, I must admit its pretty good. The action is great, it has its fair share of emotional moments and even a few jokes every now and then. While I think its good, I do feel its currently a bit overrated. But still a good show if you're interested...

Okay so far I just saw Hagure Yuusha no Estetica and Dakara Boku wa, H ga Dekinai but I have planned watch Claymore it week-end.

Anymore, I don't really care about Hagure and I found it kinda boring much of times. The only character I really liked was the pink haired I don't even remember her name. Also, I don't like the main character but when I think about it, I realize I don't really hate him too. I just don't care about him. So I guess I can be elected president of the club 'People Who have a neutral opinion about it guy'. I wonder if it will have member.  8)

About Dakara, yeah. I agree the first episodes were better thought I liked the strip poker scene in one of the later episodes. Also, that should have been finish as a harem dammit.

Ah. I've been away for so long, I didn't realize that there was a new forum.  ;D Got distracted by other things. Not necessarily busier. Just distracted. :P

One thing that wasn't distracting me though was anime. I know about the above anime but, never got interested in them. Oh well. Time for the Fall Season...

Good, was wondering where you were at...me and Gaston need another current anime watcher  :P

I just finished Campione and while I didn't care that much about the battle I really liked the girls and their interactions with the guy. Thought for some reason I am not sure that will finish as a harem.  ???

Quote from: Gaston on October 10, 2012, 07:38:02 PM
Thought for some reason I am not sure that will finish as a harem.  ???
Have faith in the power of harem.

Okay I just finished Binbougami ga!. This is probably my favorite show of this season (then again I don't see a lot of anime from Summer 2012...). The show was okay at first, but when they introduce others characters, that become really funny. The characters are so unsympathetic than they become funny.

yes campion was great. but gotta admit/ sword art online IS GREAT. :bravo:
and muv luv is also a keeper in my book.btoom is also good. and yes still grabbong oni chan and of
course to luv ruy  darkness. now still like the umm echi series ,but dam cant resist a good drama style series,like sword art,and muv luv. i bet sword art will be 1 of the best animies of the year.