OVA 4 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, December 30, 2015, 09:59:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: GP cadet 87 on December 29, 2016, 06:24:19 PM
So the guys who subbed the 4 minute ads using Tenchi characters, won't sub the official OVAs because apparently they're still sore about OVA 3? Really?

That is pretty much my personal feelings on the matter.  :aaa:

Quote from: Harls on December 29, 2016, 06:29:48 PM
And that's fine. They're not obligated.
And they're not the only option.

Harls is right they aren't obligated and it was really cool of them to translate Ai. (Even though I didn't care for it aside from the concept art.)

I thought I would post that though because that was a public statement (not a pm) they made on the matter and just thought I would let everyone know we can't count on the people who translated Ai to work on OVA 4.

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on December 29, 2016, 05:17:49 PM
so... anyone want to start a collection tray to do something like this yet?

Would we just put into the normal fund or do a special one for OVA 4 episodes? :duck:
Do we already have a guy, like the person who did all the doujinshi work? :duck:

December 29, 2016, 10:27:56 PM #331 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:37:13 PM by WarOmnimon
Quote from: Harls on December 29, 2016, 06:29:48 PM
And that's fine. They're not obligated.
And they're not the only option.
They aren't obligated, no, but that's not what bugs me here.  What bugs me is the elitist attitude that they're carrying.  If you're in the position to do something like this in any fanbase, you don't just say "oh we don't like it so we're not translating it!" like a bunch of trolls.  A "no thank you" would work much better and wouldn't damage your reputation.  What they did here is the kind of stuff that tears fanbases apart from within.  Had they just politely said that they don't wanna do it... that would be different.  But not only are they refusing to do it, they're putting out flamebait at the same time.  There's a difference between politely saying "no thanks" and yelling "we ain't doing it @#$% you!", and in this case it's the latter.

On the other hand... there ISN'T another option right now.  None of the other fansub groups have shown interest.  So yeah, panic mode activated.  We're gonna need a miracle to get outta this one before episode 2 in February.
Quote from: GP cadet 87 on December 29, 2016, 06:24:19 PM
So the guys who subbed the 4 minute ads using Tenchi characters, won't sub the official OVAs because apparently they're still sore about OVA 3? Really? That's there justification?

They really don't get the fact that all this stuff is a mix of the GXP novels and doujin, all these characters aren't coming out of nowhere, do they get that. Ai Tenchi Muyo has nothing to do with canon.

OVA 4 IS THE OFFICIAL CONTINUATION GUYS, C'MON! You don't think that we Western Tenchi fans want to see it subbed, and make up our own minds?! What double-standard, arbitrary BS!
THANK YOU.  My thoughts exactly.  Especially when the chances of OVA 4 getting licensed are non existant right now and DOUBLE especially when even Crunchy won't go near it.

TLDR They aren't obligated, but they didn't have to be a bunch of donkeys and flamebaiting trolls when they said no.  And we all just saw it.  They were a bunch of trolls and rubbed it in our faces.  That's not fanbase unity, that's called fanbase butchery from within.  To quote "Rowdy" Roddy Piper, "Jack the Ripper could have done a better job than that."

PS Fap, that Washu GIF you posted is EPIC.  Just wanted you to know that.  :D
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

December 29, 2016, 11:14:34 PM #332 Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 11:19:15 PM by Harls
Quote from: WarOmnimon on December 29, 2016, 10:27:56 PM
TLDR They aren't obligated, but they didn't have to be a bunch of donkeys and flamebaiting trolls when they said no.
Well, I'll agree with that.
It's been over 10 years, TF. That wasn't necessary.

P.S.- I disagree about their animation opinion.
Esp. when you see TU's cheaped-out work. ;)
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

I obviously also do not see the logic of fansubbing Ai of all things, but refusing to help with the OVA that started it all, while trash-talking it.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

December 30, 2016, 12:17:05 AM #334 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 12:52:37 AM by Fap_fapperson
[quote ]

PS Fap, that Washu GIF you posted is EPIC.  Just wanted you to know that.  :D
[/quote]

thanks i made it just for the thread Because if you're going to shit post. shu post.

also https://www.fiverr.com/kiely_mizumoto/add-english-subtitles-to-any-japanese-anime-or-drama?context=advanced_search&context_type=auto&context_referrer=search_gigs&pckg_id=1&pos=1&funnel=b0ed5cf6-c717-4a63-9c7a-edb576a9beb4 
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: WarOmnimon on December 29, 2016, 04:36:52 PM
But yeah, THIS RIGHT HERE is why CrunchyRoll, etc. should have picked it up. 

You can blame Japan for no one in America having this. To buy the first episode with all of the extras is a little under $70 (US). The Japanese market is based on getting fans to pay outrageous amounts of money for DVDs or BDs, as well as whatever other products that are being sold in conjunction with the DVD/BD. And while some OVAs have been simulcast, OVA 4 is being treated like a limited edition release, exclusive to Japanese fans and those outside of Japan who are willing to shell out a lot of money. As such, I don't expect to see it on CR or licensed/released by FUNimation until well after all of the episodes are released in Japan.

Quote from: antvasima on December 29, 2016, 11:32:38 PM
I obviously also do not see the logic of fansubbing Ai of all things, but refusing to help with the OVA that started it all, while trash-talking it.

That logic if you remember they hates the idea Tenchi get a harem instead of just Ryoko.

Sadly I suppose we will have to wait until all the episodes are released to get a subtitle by funanimation.  :neg:

Also I think Minaha probably doesn't loves Tenchi and that just a Seto's plan, but I didn't even watch the first episode in raw so what do I know?

Are news about the relashionship between Tenchi and Kami Tenchi?

Quote from: Gaston on December 30, 2016, 06:06:54 AM
Sadly I suppose we will have to wait until all the episodes are released to get a subtitle by funanimation.  :neg:

:cantdeal:

Can we petition subbing groups or something?

Damn Ai Tenchi Muyo to hell; the show so bad nobody wanted to sub season 4 of the real thing.

December 30, 2016, 11:10:12 PM #340 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:30:08 PM by جبريل 無道
That the other forum has no interest in subbing OAV4 is absolutely no surprise to anyone that's been around for a while.  AND THEY DON'T OWE ANYONE A TRANSLATION FOR ANYTHING.  JUST LIKE WE DON'T.  People doing their own thing on their own time for free and all that.

Since there are a lot of fandom neophytes are joining now, here is my quick VERY GENERALIZED rundown of Tenchi / fandom history, not that it really matters:
QuoteThe absolute heyday of Tenchi Muyo in the JAPANESE fandom was from 1992 (OAV1 start) to 1998ish (TinT), probably peaking around 1995.   This is going by the merchandise (games, calenders, etc) and the number and dates of fan doujins listed on Tenchi.org.  There's a reason TinT (1998) was the last TV show until GXP and TMiL2 (1999) the last movie.

In the US, it was much later, from the late 90s (1996? onward) to 2002ish.  Adult Swim on Toonami aired it in 2000 iirc and that was the peak in the English speaking world.  There were several fanfiction sites just dedicated to it, many, many, many geocities fan sites, and at least 20ish forums of varying sizes.  It was already in some decline by time OAV3 was announced simply because it hadn't been on steady television rotation anymore for a while.

In both markets, the series has shown staying power although it's not the absolute anime fad it once was in the 1990s.

Japan is also by far the most important market.  Japanese fans will spend WAY MORE $$$.  They buy these expensive discs at $70 an episode and they'll buy all that glorious high margin MERCHANDISING the western fans will never see.  Calendars, figures, keychains, doujins, etc.  The western consumer wants to pay $40-50 for the entire box set on release, add in the expense of translations/dubbing and a niche market and we're simply not that important.  We're just a lump sum licensing fee since Pioneer faded away.

For another example on market differences: fan expectations.  The most popular girl in Japan was (is?) Sasami by far.  That's why she got her own 3 ep OAV, and 2 seperate 26 episode TV shows, Sasami Stories in the Okuda manga, etc.  Yes, purely Pretty Sammyish stuff has almost as many anime episodes as all Tenchi Muyo franchise proper, the 00's Magical Girl's Club show is rarely even mentioned by title in fan circles while it got a second season in Japan.  They even Sasami-fied TMiL 2's ending with a sequel manga called "Eternal Memory", speculatively because of Japanese fans being upset.  In the west, the most popular girl is Ryoko, and this will play on OTP biases.

There was also a great mound of misinformation here in the west in the early days that's still spread around, baseless speculations taken as gospel, bad translations (OAV1, Tenchi's griefstricken cry of "Mom" got turned into "Grandma!" in english -- leading to years of an entire unnecessary "true" mom Achika debate that Japanese fans never "enjoyed"), lack of access/translation to many printed materials and japanese web discussion.  Casual TV fans didn't even realize that different continuities existed.  To most of them, Tenchi simply was the guy who saved all the girls from both space pirate/would-be-King Kagatos, got sucked back in time by Kain, was kidnapped by Haruna, and was the jerk who left the girls to go to Tokyo and be with Sakuya.  PURE INFORMATION SPAGHETTI.

Through all that confusion, a ton of fans were mostly interested in rooting their OTP (one true pairing) that harbored expectations for future TMs the Japanese simply didn't have, and a second ton of fans were interested in the original Tenchi Muyo world itself aside any OTP considerations.    Before OAV3 was released, many western Kajishima fans essentially warned everyone, "TM!R isn't an OTP series.  MK's history of animes shows this."  After much argument, it finally sank in, many OTP fans turned against MK before OAV3 even aired a single episode and the two groups have been clashing since.  Granted, OAV3 was not spectacular and rightly deserved criticism but just realize this deep hatred for OAV3 a decade later doesn't originate in what actually happened in the anime itself, those 7 episodes aren't the wellspring of their vile but what they now KNOW is coming vs what the expectations that were built up by the circumstances.

This fundamental schism ran deep down the western fandom and spread to many boards, it caused a lot of topics to transition into tired arguments upon arguments upon arguments upon arguments ad nauseum.  Until around 2010 iirc, by then the fandom basically got whittled down to one single forum where the bickering continued unabated, and a divorce between these two groups was finally initiated and both went their own way.

And it was the single best thing to happen to all concerned.  That's basically how UselessTenchi and the other forum came about.  A tiresome decade of nonstop bickering ended, everyone needed a break and got to focus on what was important to them and finally be fannish what they want to be fannish about without constantly being defensive or presenting it with apology.  Everyone benefited from the arrangement.  And now you all see the friction when the two try to come together again... don't force fan family reunions.

Also don't believe anyone trying represent themselves or their group as the ONE AND ONLY overriding voice of the fandom... the #1 true definitive fansite in the entire known multiverse or whatever, there's no such thing.  As long as just two fans exist of anything, there will be at least two different viewpoints.

So let's not get into forum wars.  OAV4 has an entire year of episode releases, I'm sure it will be translated eventually.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

December 30, 2016, 11:49:19 PM #341 Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:54:26 PM by جبريل 無道
Quote from: Lupin7 on December 30, 2016, 10:22:49 AM
Are news about the relashionship between Tenchi and Kami Tenchi?

I was hoping they'd full-on kiss in OAV3 XD 

Now he has that sexy farmer's body, it's even better! :)

:bombed: :bombed: :bombed:
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

The amount of non-interest from groups to sub OVA4 is truly shocking to me. I have not followed the Tenchi fandom/forums and all of the craziness described above anything but still...It's Tenchi for crying out loud. How can there be no one/group interested, that has the capability, to translate it?

I mean we have the sh*tty DBZ Super translated. There is now a godly SSJ Blue - Hold up...we have Goku who isn't really Goku who can go "beyond"  :smug:.... to...wait for it....... SSJ "Rouge".....Also since my name is Trunks and everyone likes me, I can hold off SSJ Rouge plus an immortal Kai that SSJ Blue Goku/Vegeta could not...Really could this show get any worse? Oh wait... Vegeta looses to a gag manga character - Goku can just hold off in most powerful form and we start playing interstellar baseball.... Yet I still watch it every week... :shepicide:

Whoops sorry for the tangent rant.

But in all seriousness if you consider yourself a Tenchi fan at any level how can you be so compelled to reject the OVA because it doesn't fit your ideal.
Maybe it's just hard for me to understand because I like the OVAs over the other series for the overall story/character/universe depth, and simply enjoy the other series for their entertainment/character relationships as just alternate universes - even though TU was my intro to Tenchi and probably the most nostalgic.

>posts several links showing anyone can shell out 20-30 bucks to have this stuff translated and subbed in 3 days

>everyone ignores... acts like there's no way!

>resisttheurgetocallthemallcasualneets.jpeg

nah but  honestly i'm kind of enjoying it not being subbed. i feel like this forums really picked up since everyones always checking to see if its happened yet
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I would encourage everybody to please listen to Jibril. We do not need any pointless fandom wars because of this.

Petitioning different fansub groups seems like a good idea.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki