Some continuity questions

Started by bishopcruz, February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Hey all, new around here and have been doing a rewatch of the series recently after watching Isekai and reading up on a whole mess of junk.

I noticed a few things that kinda stood out and wanted people's takes on it because for the life of me I can't come up with any logical answers.

-How was Funaho listed as 'missing' by the Juraians? Yosho has been missing for 700 years along with his tree, yet we know that he has been in contact with Seto, several earth members of the earth Masaki's have been traveling into space and joining the GXP, Airi and Yosho had another daughter (or is it two?) and Earth has in no way been cut off from Galactic society completely. This being the case, how in the HELL did Azuza, Misaki, and Funaho not know where their children were? Also, did they ever explain why it took Ayeka 700 years to find Yosho?

-In the first OVA series Yosho mentions that Tenchi is too serious, 'just like his mother'. Is this a mistranslation, Yosho playing his own personal joke, or had Kajishima just not fully fleshed out his ideas for Kiyone yet.

-Azuza seems hell bent on getting his girls back and making life miserable for Tenchi at the end of ep. 13, do any of the doujin or novels ever touch on this again? It's odd because it's really the only thread that is left hanging completely untouched in OVA3.

-More a personal aside, man looking back at the first two OVAs with the knowledge that Noboyuki is in the know and has been exposed to galactic culture puts a whole new spin on things.

February 12, 2013, 03:15:35 PM #1 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:12:25 PM by Harls
Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM

-Azuza seems hell bent on getting his girls back and making life miserable for Tenchi at the end of ep. 13, do any of the doujin or novels ever touch on this again? It's odd because it's really the only thread that is left hanging completely untouched in OVA3.
Wrapped up in the prologue of the first novel.
Basically, Azusa kept sending more suitors to duel with Tenchi, but Mihoshi kept crashing the party. Eventually everyone got tired of his antics and the Queens put a stop to it.

:add: Hah! Found it.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PM #2 Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:58:24 PM by Tenchi Ryu
Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM

-How was Funaho listed as 'missing' by the Juraians? Yosho has been missing for 700 years along with his tree, yet we know that he has been in contact with Seto, several earth members of the earth Masaki's have been traveling into space and joining the GXP, Airi and Yosho had another daughter (or is it two?) and Earth has in no way been cut off from Galactic society completely.
Seto is pretty much the center of all of it. Yosho hasn't even spoken to his own mother in 700 years before episode 13. So everything, from Yosho being on earth, to where Ryoko was kept, to even Yosho having a new potential to the throne in Tenchi is secret information. And it will most likely remain that way. We do know however that Seto did visit Yosho not to long ago, since she comments how much Tenchi has grown since she's held him as a baby. Basically everything that is going on in the story is SUPER DUPER secret information that only a select few know. Therefore, everything is officially in the record books as unknown or MIA. Even Yosho's marriage to Airi is not official, since it would cause a WHOLE bunch of problems. Remember, some Juraians are still waiting on Yosho to marry Ayeka, Yosho has a legit reason why he's not trying to head back to Jurai, he'll have a LOT of answering to do lol.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PMThis being the case, how in the HELL did Azuza, Misaki, and Funaho not know where their children were? Also, did they ever explain why it took Ayeka 700 years to find Yosho?
Like I posted above, simply because Yosho went sewer rat mode and hid from everyone except Seto. She did her part and kept her silence. Sasami and Ayeka on the other hand spent 700 years in suspended animation, basically frozen/sleep for 700 years with episode 3 showing her wake up for the first time since the ship has found Ryoko. The reason they finally show up in episode 13 is because Yosho finally gives Seto the green light to reveal to his parents where he is. He does this because he feels his grandson Tenchi is ready to get familiarized by his Juraian family and heritage. Most importantly, its to fulfill Yosho's master plan, which is to get Tenchi to take his spot as Juraian throne candidate. That and Mihoshi REALLY spilled the beans. Her report took so many days for the Jurai heads to summarize because she literally put EVERYTHING in that sucker, from Washu being held by Kagato, to Tenchi creating LHWs. She was a complete blabbermouth and revealed some stuff that has no business even being known to many. So now Funaho and Misaki had to waste time "editing" to leave out some important stuff, but still sound believable to the public.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM-In the first OVA series Yosho mentions that Tenchi is too serious, 'just like his mother'. Is this a mistranslation, Yosho playing his own personal joke, or had Kajishima just not fully fleshed out his ideas for Kiyone yet.
It sounds like it was, then again, Pioneer had a number of mistranslations in their scripts. We all know the most important was during the Tenchi Kagato battle where in the Dub and subtitles, he mentions Tsunami, where what he's actually commenting on is the fact that the cut Tenchi has just given him is not regenerating and healing at all, and that should be impossible. Just another hint Tenchi is a very special individual.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 02:14:37 PM-More a personal aside, man looking back at the first two OVAs with the knowledge that Noboyuki is in the know and has been exposed to galactic culture puts a whole new spin on things.
It does, but imo it also shows how good of a father he is. He went out his way to make sure Tenchi had a normal, fun human life. Had him in the city to get to know people and be social, and even didn't want to reveal the true nature of his mom. He even wanted to see how his son would handle the situation of having a girl (Ryoko) in his bedroom, although he probably wouldn't mind the free show. Probably wanted his son to get the opportunity to enjoy life as a human since he knew there was a good possibility his son would be going into space in a few years, and his life would change forever.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PM
Seto is pretty much the center of all of it. Yosho hasn't even spoken to his own mother in 700 years before episode 13. So everything, from Yosho being on earth, to where Ryoko was kept, to even Yosho having a new potential to the throne in Tenchi is secret information. And it will most likely remain that way. We do know however that Seto did visit Yosho not to long ago, since she comments how much Tenchi has grown since she's held him as a baby. Basically everything that is going on in the story is SUPER DUPER secret information that only a select few know. Therefore, everything is officially in the record books as unknown or MIA. Even Yosho's marriage to Airi is not official, since it would cause a WHOLE bunch of problems. Remember, some Juraians are still waiting on Yosho to marry Ayeka, Yosho has a legit reason why he's not trying to head back to Jurai, he'll have a LOT of answering to do lol.

Ok, so Seto being Seto. I get that, but it still seems problematic.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PMLike I posted above, simply because Yosho went sewer rat mode and hid from everyone except Seto. She did her part and kept her silence. Sasami and Ayeka on the other hand spent 700 years in suspended animation, basically frozen/sleep for 700 years with episode 3 showing her wake up for the first time since the ship has found Ryoko. The reason they finally show up in episode 13 is because Yosho finally gives Seto the green light to reveal to his parents where he is. He does this because he feels his grandson Tenchi is ready to get familiarized by his Juraian family and heritage. Most importantly, its to fulfill Yosho's master plan, which is to get Tenchi to take his spot as Juraian throne candidate. That and Mihoshi REALLY spilled the beans. Her report took so many days for the Jurai heads to summarize because she literally put EVERYTHING in that sucker, from Washu being held by Kagato, to Tenchi creating LHWs. She was a complete blabbermouth and revealed some stuff that has no business even being known to many. So now Funaho and Misaki had to waste time "editing" to leave out some important stuff, but still sound believable to the public.

Right, but during this time we had more than a few Masaki's running around the Galaxy: Noboyuki, Kiyone, Kiriko, and Tennyo. And those are only the ones that we know of. None of Tenchi's relations seem to be too shocked at the idea of alien women running around so it is quite possible, if not probable that they are not the only ones who have made the trip in the 700 years that Yosho has been hiding on earth. There being a branch Masaki family makes perfect sense. There being a branch family with ties to Yosho that has been running around without the Jurai royal family knowing about it, especially when one of the ones who should ESPECIALLY care is the Minister of Intelligence kinda stretches credulity.

Then again, Seto.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PMIt sounds like it was, then again, Pioneer had a number of mistranslations in their scripts. We all know the most important was during the Tenchi Kagato battle where in the Dub and subtitles, he mentions Tsunami, where what he's actually commenting on is the fact that the cut Tenchi has just given him is not regenerating and healing at all, and that should be impossible. Just another hint Tenchi is a very special individual.

I'll look at it again see what I can figure out from my horrible Japanese.

I try not to be TOO hard on Pioneer, they were actually pretty damn good for the time, one of the best actually. I was collecting these pretty much as they were coming out and they were considered pretty strong dubs. And some of those errors are really forgivable. For example:

In episode 5:

I STILL swear I hear "ba-chan" instead of "ka-chan" pretty much every time I listen to that Ryoko flashback that was mistranslated as grandma to the point that I'm almost certain it was an error in the original Japanese script. So yeah.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PMIt does, but imo it also shows how good of a father he is. He went out his way to make sure Tenchi had a normal, fun human life. Had him in the city to get to know people and be social, and even didn't want to reveal the true nature of his mom. He even wanted to see how his son would handle the situation of having a girl (Ryoko) in his bedroom, although he probably wouldn't mind the free show. Probably wanted his son to get the opportunity to enjoy life as a human since he knew there was a good possibility his son would be going into space in a few years, and his life would change forever.

Not to poo poo Noboyuki's partenting skills but you might be giving him a BIT too much credit here dude. He was PEEPING ON HIS SON WITH A VIDEO CAMERA. Jurians are all a bit f-ed (do we care about cursing here) in the head by earth standards, it's kinda the charm of Tenchi in a way. Also, not mentioning the whole from another planet thing to those under the age of majority seems to be standard operating procedure for the Masaki clan. Kai had no idea that Kiriko was in the Galaxy Police until his sister's wedding for example.

Quote(do we care about cursing here)

Don't care it's fine.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 09:48:19 PM
Then again, Seto.
Exactly. Oh no doubt I'm sure people have there questions. But Seto's word is absolute. So even if some have questions, no one will dare try to question her. She can literally say "this is person is joining, deal with it" and get away with it. Hell, she literally did that when making both Noike and Mashisu her daughters on the fly. And now with Airi as her "side-kick", all she has to do is tell Airi to sign someone up for the GP academy since Airi has the power to do so. That's pretty much how all the earth Masaki's have gotten their trips to space. Tenchi was about to get his, but Amane messed up and gave it to Seina by mistake. With the cases of Yosho's immediate family like his 2 daughters and wife being in such a high position, they might just play it off as that person who just got a promotion.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 09:48:19 PMI'll look at it again see what I can figure out from my horrible Japanese.
Shades!!!! He has a grasp on Japanese....Let's tie his ass up!!!
:getin:

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 09:48:19 PMNot to poo poo Noboyuki's partenting skills but you might be giving him a BIT too much credit here dude. He was PEEPING ON HIS SON WITH A VIDEO CAMERA. Jurians are all a bit f-ed (do we care about cursing here) in the head by earth standards, it's kinda the charm of Tenchi in a way. Also, not mentioning the whole from another planet thing to those under the age of majority seems to be standard operating procedure for the Masaki clan. Kai had no idea that Kiriko was in the Galaxy Police until his sister's wedding for example.
It's the city part I was referring to. If I'm correct, living in the city in Japan is definitely more costly compared to living in the country side. He could have just stayed there but decided to apparently leave after Kiyone died. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just to get some new scenery as well. Tenchi really seemed to take it the hardest during the funeral, and maybe he just wanted to give him a move in location to "start anew", especially since he would starting ANOTHER new life in about 10-12 years.

And well, Yuki is a perv to. The peeping with the video camera was definitely extreme, but I can somewhat relate to being proud your son is getting laid by a hot girl. I wouldn't be recording the shit, but I would joke around and try to pry questions on him like how it went and stuff. I think he even said something like "dear you would be proud" or something like that. But this is Nobuyuki we're talking about lol.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 07:03:16 PM

It does, but imo it also shows how good of a father he is. He went out his way to make sure Tenchi had a normal, fun human life. Had him in the city to get to know people and be social, and even didn't want to reveal the true nature of his mom. He even wanted to see how his son would handle the situation of having a girl (Ryoko) in his bedroom, although he probably wouldn't mind the free show. Probably wanted his son to get the opportunity to enjoy life as a human since he knew there was a good possibility his son would be going into space in a few years, and his life would change forever.

I've never thought about Nobuyuki in this way. Definitely doesn't get enough credit.

February 13, 2013, 04:00:06 AM #7 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:25:40 AM by جبريل 無道
Episode 3, 11:14 mark.

What I think Yosho is saying:

何か毎夜あいつは母親で真面目にでの。

Nani ka maiyo aitsu wa hahaoya de majimeni de no.

Nani ka = something
Maiyo = every night (?)
aitsu = that guy
hahaoya = mother
majimeni = serious

Google translate is gibberish here, and I'm not too sure about every word, but my ears aren't up for it tonight.  He's probably saying Tenchi is serious like his mother.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: bishopcruz on February 12, 2013, 09:48:19 PMI STILL swear I hear "ba-chan" instead of "ka-chan" pretty much every time I listen to that Ryoko flashback that was mistranslated as grandma to the point that I'm almost certain it was an error in the original Japanese script. So yeah.

In episode 5, @4:29, it does sound like bachan when talking to her (Oh Mom/Grandmom, I thought you were Grandpa!), but just a few seconds later when holding her umbrella and crying at 4:40, it's clearly kachan.

Don't ask me why.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on February 13, 2013, 04:00:06 AM
Episode 3, 11:14 mark.

What I think Yosho is saying:

何か毎夜あいつは母親でで名前での。

Nani ka maiyo aitsu wa hahaoya de de namae de no.

(Something) (that guy) (every night) (mother)

Google translate is gibberish here, and I'm not too sure about the part after mother (hahaoya) even being right, but my ears aren't up for it tonight.

He's probably saying Tenchi is like his mother.  If I could hear correctly after hahaoya, I could hear if it was serious type or something else.

Kinda what I think looking at it again too, that line is killing me a bit as I get a general meaning from it, but not an exact one. Meh, tis what it is. The more I look at it the more it reeks of a dubtitle. Might try my DVDs again later, HULU's sound isn't the best.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on February 13, 2013, 07:29:49 AM

In episode 5, @4:29, it does sound like bachan when talking to her (Oh Mom/Grandmom, I thought you were Grandpa!), but just a few seconds later when holding her umbrella and crying at 4:40, it's clearly kachan.

Don't ask me why.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on February 13, 2013, 07:29:49 AM

Don't ask me why.

Yeah, its really weird. He is clearly crying for his mom there and it was grandma as such in the dub. It was the first instance I was talking about though. Glad to know I'm not the only one who hears bachan though.

BTW how do I address you on the boards? Mudou?

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 12, 2013, 10:09:54 PM
Exactly. Oh no doubt I'm sure people have there questions. But Seto's word is absolute. So even if some have questions, no one will dare try to question her. She can literally say "this is person is joining, deal with it" and get away with it. Hell, she literally did that when making both Noike and Mashisu her daughters on the fly. And now with Airi as her "side-kick", all she has to do is tell Airi to sign someone up for the GP academy since Airi has the power to do so. That's pretty much how all the earth Masaki's have gotten their trips to space. Tenchi was about to get his, but Amane messed up and gave it to Seina by mistake. With the cases of Yosho's immediate family like his 2 daughters and wife being in such a high position, they might just play it off as that person who just got a promotion.

I know Minaho is on Seto's ship, and her secretary for lack of a better word this early in the morning, but was Kiyone that high up in anything? I've never seen any indication of that. Or does he have another daughter I forgot about?

Some spec on my part is that Seto is using the Earth branch of the Masaki line to help bolster the ranks of the family once everything can be made public. IIRC, outside of Azusa's immediate family there aren't that many Masaki's not from earth around are there?

Now that I am rewatching OVA 3 (with my roomate this time, he had seen the originals nearly as much if not more than I had so he came in and out during my marathon of 1-13) it cleared some stuff up. I'm though episode 2, and it really is still explaining that the universe is far bigger than one might have think at the end of EP 13.

Shades!!!! He has a grasp on Japanese....Let's tie his ass up!!!
:getin:

Maybe I should be going...

My grasp of Japanese is just enough to be infuriating. That and I am very out of practice. I really need to get back on my Kanji which have left my mind like a damned sieve it seems, but stuff still clicks on occasion. Still I am horrible at listening to things at full speed, context helps a bunch.

It's the city part I was referring to. If I'm correct, living in the city in Japan is definitely more costly compared to living in the country side. He could have just stayed there but decided to apparently leave after Kiyone died. Wouldn't be surprised if it was just to get some new scenery as well. Tenchi really seemed to take it the hardest during the funeral, and maybe he just wanted to give him a move in location to "start anew", especially since he would starting ANOTHER new life in about 10-12 years.

And well, Yuki is a perv to. The peeping with the video camera was definitely extreme, but I can somewhat relate to being proud your son is getting laid by a hot girl. I wouldn't be recording the shit, but I would joke around and try to pry questions on him like how it went and stuff. I think he even said something like "dear you would be proud" or something like that. But this is Nobuyuki we're talking about lol.

The interesting thing about that is that, if Tenchi's memory is accurate the plan to move was made BEFORE Kiyone died. In EP 14 we see his memory of the whole family scouting out the build site for the house (although I suppose if could have just been the yard, but again, not the impression I got) with Noboyuki and Kiyone/Tennyo. I believe it would have been Kiyone because I don't know why Tennyo would have been there, and I know it would have had to have been before Kiyone's death because Tennyo states she stopped pretending to be her mom after Kiyone's death.

I also doubt that any of the Masaki's are hard up for cash. Noboyuki would have had to have been loaded to buy that lot in the 1980's real estate in the cities was in no way cheap. I do agree that Noboyuki isn't a bad parent, hell by galactic standards the man is a saint, and you can tell he really does want Tenchi to be able to hold on to his childhood as long as possible.

New question:

Who all was at Kiyone's funeral? I saw Airi there, but who was sitting next to her, the hair was done up a lot like Aekas?

February 13, 2013, 08:01:42 AM #10 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 08:11:09 AM by Tenchi Ryu
Quote from: bishopcruz on February 13, 2013, 07:39:20 AM

New question:

Who all was at Kiyone's funeral? I saw Airi there, but who was sitting next to her, the hair was done up a lot like Aekas?
http://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?topic=18.msg31#msg31

The one sitting to the left of Airi is Minaho, Kiyone's big sister and Yosho and Airi's first daughter. The brown haired girl next to Nobuyuki is Tennyo in her true form. The little girl is Kiriko from GXP. The older woman next to Kiriko is her mother.

February 13, 2013, 09:05:51 AM #11 Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 09:08:20 AM by جبريل 無道
Quote from: bishopcruz on February 13, 2013, 07:39:20 AMKinda what I think looking at it again too, that line is killing me a bit as I get a general meaning from it, but not an exact one. Meh, tis what it is. The more I look at it the more it reeks of a dubtitle. Might try my DVDs again later, HULU's sound isn't the best.

I updated that post a while ago to refine what I thought it was saying.

QuoteBTW how do I address you on the boards? Mudou?

Jibril is fine.

QuoteMaybe I should be going...

My grasp of Japanese is just enough to be infuriating. That and I am very out of practice. I really need to get back on my Kanji which have left my mind like a damned sieve it seems, but stuff still clicks on occasion. Still I am horrible at listening to things at full speed, context helps a bunch.

Your grasp of Japanese if probably better than ours.  I had to use a smartphone app Jibbigo to get the spoken Japanese into text and start it off.  I know hiragana and katakana, but hardly any kanji.  We're all pretty much stuck on Google translate too.

Did Kiyone ever go into space like the other Earth Masakis?  If she did, wouldn't she have bonded to a Royal Tree or recieved some form of body enhancement from thr Galaxy Police?

"Yes" and "probably body enhancement". Doesn't make her invulnerable.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

October 31, 2015, 02:40:42 PM #14 Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 03:51:01 PM by takahata
Quote from: LightHawkWing on October 30, 2015, 12:07:40 AM
Did Kiyone ever go into space like the other Earth Masakis?  If she did, wouldn't she have bonded to a Royal Tree or recieved some form of body enhancement from thr Galaxy Police?

Knowing how much a great secret Airi's  marriage to Katsuhito/Yosho, Kiyone was likely only able to come to Earth to see her father, and Earth family on occasion.  Airi's family would have been puzzle over Airi having two children.  It likely that Airi's family have assumed that her daughters Minaho and Kiyone have different fathers.   Sometime after Kiyone turn forty, she had ran into a shy student from the Earth Masaki Family.  The shy student whom Kiyone had ran into was Nobuyuki Masaki.  After Kiyone and Nobuyuki ran into each other, they have become best friends.  Despite the difference in their ages, Kiyone and Nobuyki had fallen in love with one another. Oddly, there is a strong chance that Lady Seto had brought Kiyone and Nobuyuki together, too.