Tenchi Muyo/Macross

Started by deadspacepirate, December 05, 2020, 11:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
So I'm working on a Tenchi/Macross Crossover.  I'm curious about earth/galactic politics and how'd things work between earth and jurai after the sdf-1 crash

Well it might help to look at the works that coincided (first half of 1990s). Macross Plus was a major visual update on par with Muyo's space battles and then around the same time Irresponsible Captain Tylor further provided some insights on intragalactic struggles. However, my particular favorite was the Germanic Galmilas in SBY (1973).

December 10, 2020, 09:56:33 PM #2 Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 10:03:09 PM by deadspacepirate
Definitely considering the timeline after Space War 1. This story's kinda set right after OVA 5. I'm a I'm sure Jurai might support Earths advancement into space but would give them a friendly reminder where the Galactic Federation boundry was.

Well, for accuracy's sake might want to poke anyone here who has read the Tenchi GXP light novels, particularly with Seto's tour of the cosmos discussing the political sphere, that she apparently gives Seina or Kiriko at one point?

Quote from: deadspacepirate on December 05, 2020, 11:41:24 PM
So I'm working on a Tenchi/Macross Crossover.  I'm curious about earth/galactic politics and how'd things work between earth and jurai after the sdf-1 crash

Actually, the very latest OVA episode (on Crunchyroll) might give you an idea of how Jurai and the Galaxy Federation would react to a ship crashing on Earth. They wouldn't like it and would try to cover it up. But really, they would never let a ship crash on Earth at this point. Between Tenchi's crew, The Galaxy Police, and Banjo Island, they are well aware and ready for infractions.

...my idea, you could set it up as a Dual/Tenchi/ Macross crossover. There is this HUGE blank canvas to work with there. In the Tenchiverse, Dual's Earth existed a Billion years ago and SOMEHOW the Earth becomes the heart of a Galactic Dynasty. If you have the SDF-1 crash on that Earth, you could say that Macross was the basis of the past civilization. To bring Tenchi into it, I'd say good ol fashioned time travel. The location of the old Earth is known and is ready to be explored. Have Seina summon Tenchi and your pick of characters to the old barren planet and discover a device to bring them there.

In this way, you can focus on Macross politics and just use Tenchi, etcs. powers as you like.
...in my pants

Mmm.  Not reallllly keen on time travel sorry to say.  Also....how DO you stop a immediate defold and crashlanding ala the ASS-1 crashing down on South Atria island.  Unless if they involve the Godesses, to wave the ship away, thats highly unlikely. :P

I haven't watched Macross in 20+ years, man.

All I know is the current Tenchi situation does not support "adding" either one to the other without erasing the effect of one of them. You seem to know Macross better, with a healthy respect for the other, but play to your strengths.

Jurai + Galaxy Federation  does not want Earth artificially accelerated with alien tech.  So, even if it did crash, The Tenchi crew are still well within their abilities to deal with it. Last episode, Tenchi himself whisked away a "Borg Cube" with a swish of his sword. Even if they couldn't stop it, they could transfer it to the subspace of one of the multiple tree ships around.

...in my pants

What I still don't understand, and is mentioned briefly throughout the latter half of the True Tenchi! GXP novels by Kajishima, is how Dual! Earth is supposedly a billion years BEFORE modern day Tenchi OVA Earth.

I tried to explain the billion years thing here:
https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Dual!_Parallel_Trouble_Adventure#Connections_to_Tenchi_Muyo.21_GXP_-_The_Great_Prehistoric_Civilization

I mean, it's bizarre and a bit silly, but he's tried to fit it all together the best he could. They lived on an "Earth" the "original" - they did such a good job seeding the galaxy that they were able to replicate humanity and even culture and tech (curry, handset telephone), and somehow- even replicating another Earth that is functionally identical.

Something in one of the newer novels makes me wonder if they've done it other times too... The planet in Renza where they found all the discarded mecha, including 5 tree seed mecha (like Zinv- but 3rd gen), is called "Terra." ---seems like a clue to me, "Terra"is another word for "Earth."

...that's another way to switch things up. Renza is the place where they love Mecha.
...in my pants

Quote from: deadspacepirate on December 05, 2020, 11:41:24 PM

Just to revisit this concept deadspacepirate, we see how relics from Dual Parallel show up in the arguably more comprehensive Tenchi verse of OVA/GXP not just in equipment or abandoned facilities but personalities.

Would it make sense for some of the mirrored Dual cast (quoting from the Fandom article Ned linked earlier) to be the key characters sent as an expedition to investigate the SDF-1 crashlanding?

• Mitsuki Sanada reflected many times: Kiriko, Karen, Tsukiko (& more)
  • Mitsuki Rara as Ryoko Balta, Suiren, Ringo (& more)
  • Yayoi Schwael reprised by Amane Kaunaq, Gyokuren, Mikami (& more)
  • D shows up again as Neju Na Melmas, Hakuren, Kuis Panta (& more)

Just for kicks at least. Depending where the crash occurs, it might involve the Paradise War folks as well.