Okayama: Places and names

Started by Nonsuch Ned, April 13, 2021, 02:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Has there ever been a list of the Okayama places that inspired the Character names?

I want to rewrite the Okayama page on the fandom wiki so it's relevant to a Tenchi forum instead of just a wikipedia copypasta.

Such a list would be key.

Or is it more like almost every character is named after a location and you just have to look for it?
...in my pants

Here is a list of some of the places which character names are base on; I hope that this list can help you.

Washu  -   Mt. Washu. Kurashiki City

Hakubi -  Railroad line starting south  from Kurashiki City

Lady Seto  -  Inland Sea

Yosho -  Mt. Yoshozan and Yoshosan Hot Spring. Asakuchi City

Sasami - Sami Beach, Kurashiki City

Kiyone - Train Station and neighborhood in Soja City

Taro Masaki -   Taro Shrine in Asakuchi City.  Masaki Family Shrine's design is based on Taro Shrine

April 19, 2021, 11:14:00 AM #2 Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 11:24:03 AM by Nonsuch Ned
Anyone have others off the top of your head?

I guess I'll eventually just take whoever else and do some Googling/Mapping.

Just to see if that would work, I searched for Noike Okayama (and told Google, no, I did not mean "Nike") and got a result for a "famous" pond called either the Kayo-noike or Sawa-Noike or Man-Noike pond.

Also, Apparently Mihoshi is derived from the town name of Bizen. It's mentioned in the fandom and reg wiki pages, but I don't quite get that.
...in my pants

It's the same kanji with a different pronunciation.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

https://www.uselesstenchi.org/Forum/index.php?topic=1562.msg51356#msg51356

Souja is named after the town/area of Souja. It's all over the map. So is Minami. And yes, Mihoshi is an alternate pronunciation of Bisei.
Hitoshi Okuda continued this trend with several of his characters, such as Yakage and Ibara being named after smaller cities in Okayama. Makibi is there. Hakubi references the main East-West Train line through Okayama and Kurashiki-cho. Funaho is the city on the west bank of the Takahashi river. And I found Kiyone nestled between Souja and Kurashiki. Bizen is the next city north-east along the coast. And Minagi is a town or two up along the Takahashi river.

Seriously, one only has to open google maps to see all this.

It is nice that some map services translate the local place names, at least to some phonetic approximate. I always grinned seeing Mount Yosho-don and the shrine on Kamidake Road / Lane?