Xbox Thread

Started by Tenchi Ryu, April 25, 2013, 12:44:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
April 25, 2013, 12:44:57 AM Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 10:32:48 PM by Tenchi Ryu
*Edit Finally got the picture up, now lets get his thread going for real.

Wonder if they went the "Wii Gimmick" Route. Would be very bad for the game industry in general if they did like them or hate them.

Well the Gimmicks worked for the Wii. Unfortunately for Nintendo though, it isn't working for the Wii U. 3DS gimmick was also a failure. People are getting a 3DS, but it has NOTHING to do with the 3D and everything to do, with what it should have been all along, the games.

Speaking of games, one thing of concern, at least for gamers, is how all the news about Xbox 720, at least the rumors and possible leaked information, is how MS is basically promoting every single aspect of the console...

Except the gaming.

It's like an all in one set-top box. Which I can understand. Market the console to not just people playing games, but streaming movies, DVR, etc. etc. But as a gamer, that's not stuff that would get me excited about the prospects of the 720.

Oh well. We'll

Reports have been that this has purposely been done because they want to save their "big guns" for E3. Basically we're expected to shit bricks from what I've heard.

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on April 26, 2013, 04:03:07 AM
Reports have been that this has purposely been done because they want to save their "big guns" for E3. Basically we're expected to shit bricks from what I've heard.

They sure as fuck better, cause at this point they've practically abandoned 360. This ongoing dry spell of 1st party titles is really not making MS look good and I think it's clear enough that they don't even care. If they did, they could at least pay to have some exclusives whipped up from 3rd parties like Sega. Worked with xbox1 after all.

Or finally MAKE Rare reboot some of their 8bit titles. Seriously, with all the hype Battletoads still carries and success Tecmo had rebooting Ninja Gaiden, a Battletoads reboot set to challenge the hardcorest of gamers should have happened years ago. What the hell was the point of buying Nintendo's leftovers if you're not going to pick through their back catalogue?! And I want my damn Ironsword. Bastards.

Rare Ltd. :emot-vd:

http://www.youtube.com/v/VbIJM1xAjNY

Didn't realize I didn't finish my thought in the last reply. Not that it mattered since all I would have said was "We'll see what MS comes up with at the reveal" but whatever. :P

And hopefully they are saving up the 'Big Guns" for E3. Because so far, they're doing a very successful job at not getting the gaming community excited.

And I feel sorry for Rare LTD. I had expected Microsoft to go full blazes with them when MS bought them. And instead... the last I saw of them was them making like Xbox Kinect stuff. And I thought wow,  from a huge can't do any wrong developer to that :neg:.

Well, we finally get to see what Mircosoft has been hiding under the hood....

You can also watch on television through Gametrailers which will be on Spike TV.

Just to add onto the Rumor Shades was mentioning on the chat earlier...

http://www.xbox-scene.com/xbox1data/sep/EFylAZlVpFTQfuAlpz.php

Officially called XBOX ONE

So I would rate this conference a B+

The system looks fucking legit, just wish we had a better showcase of gaming. But Xbox has once again made it clear they are saving the big guns for E3. But 15 exclusives in the first year?! DAYUUUUMMM

Well, the system itself looks pretty good (a plus against Sony so far before, well, Sony hasn't actually released what the PS4 looks like)... in a generic kind of way. Which is not bad. I mean it won't stand out against whatever else I have in front of the TV. Unlike say, game consoles of old that 'look like toys' (nothing against the Gamecube or the N64. But they certainly don't match anything else in front of my TV).

But looks (unless it's like hawt pink with polka dots. And even then...) isn't everything. It's what inside the system, and the games on it, that count. And, well, not being a total techie, I'm going to assume the tech side is  :iron:. I know it has a BD drive. So that's a plus. Other than that...  :huhm:

Game wise... eh. Has all the usual suspects. Call of Duty, Forza 5, EA games like Battlefield 4 and their sports games, Assassin's Creed 4... stuff that, well, besides being sequels, can't say I care for. Yes, they have their fans that will eat that stuff up, I'm not one of them. Only Quantum Break held any of my interest. And that's only because I thought Alan Wake was a pretty good, and well made game.

Kinect is... eh. I know it could be 'fun', but I prefer sitting on my ass, using a controller. And, not using my voice to command my dumbass AI companion on what to do. Bad enough they have a hard time following directions with the gamepad. Cursing them out when I have family around isn't going to help.

Now all the other stuff about the Xbox One...
Not backwards compatible? Oh well. It's a new trend in game consoles now. Whether that's a good or bad thing is becoming irrelevant. Since now everyone is doing it.

Now until I see it confirmed, this would go into the rumor pile. Not being able to play used games?  :milk:

[update]Supposedly there is going to be a way for gamers to trade and resell games ala Steam. More details later. Still, sounds like a slap in the face of say, Gamestop.

Skype group chats? Chating while playing other games? Um, okay? Since I rarely chat in game, not something I care too much for.

Smart Glass... eh whatever. It's cool and all. But as a 'gamer', probably won't wind up using it that much. Besides the fact I don't own say a MS tablet or a Windows 8 phone, etc.

The always online controversy that MS had to slap down. Well, from what I've read, it isn't completely unfounded. Yes, in theory you don't need to be always online to play on the Xbox One. But, MS 'lets the developers' determine if their games require always online. Either way, can't see this as a good thing IMO. Yes yes, I know we live in an 'connected' world, and my connection isn't too bad that I personally shouldn't complain. But like Simcity 2013, in the rare occasion the network does go down, if a game requires to be always online, I'd still be losing out.

Over all, despite my nice LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG write up... My feelings about it is meh. It feels like the Xbox One is trying to not be a gaming console, and instead, the all in one entertainment system for the living room. I get what MS is doing in trying to appeal to a bigger consumer base. But looking at this as a gamer, not a whole lot I could honestly say I'm excited about. Yeah, E3 E3 E3. But I'll reserve my opinion of the games shown at E3, during/after E3. Right now I'm focusing on the announcement.