OVA 5 Info Thread

Started by Dr.Soviet, August 30, 2017, 12:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Typical Kajashima. 23 minutes of backstory and 3 minutes of Tenchi and his girls. Episode 4 better be them getting the wedding prep for Tenchi and Seina

August 29, 2020, 10:03:37 AM #481 Last Edit: August 29, 2020, 05:26:00 PM by Nonsuch Ned
I'm not fluent, but my curiosity got the better of me.
...so, Tenchi insta-kills the Borg...
At least watching the raw allows me to be one of the first to make a joke like that.
:speculate:
Wedding prep or not, the point of the entire OVA seems to preparing Kenshi. It will certainly feature sending him off. My question is whether or not they will also feature them bringing him back.
This episode also seems to confirm another consistent feature- showing what happens AFTER a story line told elsewhere without revealing the details of that story.

Since time goes so quickly on the other side, all of the events in Geminar could have spanned a couple days on their side. They could bring Kenshi back a week after they send him and Kenshi would return the oldest and most battle-hardened of the bunch-- with more kids than Tenchi OR Seina.

So, this series could very well end with them retrieving him.

I also am slightly curious if they do something else... might the  solution be to do a "Dual" and merge the Dimensions?
I know... big problems with that. In order to merge the dimensions the two before had to be destroyed. And if certain hints are to believed, Geminar is a far-faaaaaaaaar future version of Photon's "Sandy Planet"... which was shown to be a version of Earth.
I still think it's an option. Kajashima isn't usually into breaking parties up and while leaving Kenshi on Geminar would mean he loses his Tenchi family, bringing him back means Kenshi loses everyone he loves on that side.   
...in my pants

Part of me hates the idea of merging the universes. I think they will bring Kenshi back, he will miss everyone and go back to that universe similar to Dual! PTA. I just want Tenchi and Seina to get married. Also who would be Kenshi's #1?

Chiaia Flan is your most likely, Yukine also has a strong claim. Also given that the kids would be wards of the state (assuming he has males) ... he could have  some kids and leave and it would be fully in line with that world's rules.

I would have liked it more if Tenchi and his crew visited Kenshi in their world as they could spend a year and only be gone a few days in their world.

Quote from: Ricin on August 29, 2020, 10:32:47 PM
I just want Tenchi and Seina to get married.

:discoursechef:
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

Part of me hates the idea of merging the universes. I think they will bring Kenshi back, he will miss everyone and go back to that universe similar to Dual! PTA.

Problem with that again is the time difference. Unless part of the plan would be to stabilize the flow of time.   
...in my pants

August 30, 2020, 11:06:19 AM #485 Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 12:03:26 PM by GP cadet 87
Guys, the third episode has been uploaded already, with subs!

We went from a two-week wait to two days; I don't know whether to be happy or annoyed right now.

Edit: Well, now I'm DEFINITELY annoyed. At the 7 min mark, the audio and subtitles go out of sync. YOU ARE THE OFFICIAL SUBBERS FOR THIS CRUNCHYROLL, WTF?! i was so happy too...

Well, I'll try my best to soldier on, but this shouldn't happen with a major distributor; if you're gonna get out the subs faster, make sure they're up to standard quality!!

Edit 2: Ok, I went to Crunchyroll's page to watch it directly, it worked fine there.

August 30, 2020, 12:20:38 PM #486 Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 01:29:44 AM by GP cadet 87
Sorry for double posting, just wanted to get my thoughts down about the episode while it it was fresh in my memory.

This episode suffers a lot of the same problems as the first episode. The second episode was all dialogue too, but at least I gave a damn about what the characters were saying. It's really cool that the Yamada and Misaki families are become physically and emotionally close. Even if it lacks the comedy or action that made the original OVA episodes so good, at least it's moving their story forward.

I REALLY feel all the Paradise War stuff should have been it's own spin-off OVA. While the Japanese fans obviously know who the PW character are already going in, I have no idea what they're like from this ep, and why I should give a damn about them. I understand the whole war games set up, and that's interesting tbh, but the ENTIRE episode was just the Masaki family hanging out with the PW cast, and not even INTERACTING with them in any meaningful way. If it wasn't for that closing poignant scene about Tenchi deciding to finally marry his harem, this whole episode would've been a complete waste of 28 minutes of my life.

The small budget of these OVAs really becomes painfully obvious too. The scene with Tenchi/Kenshi running in the forest was just ugly.

There is so much potential for good storytelling here. Just having Seina and Tenchi talk would've been interesting on it's own. Two guys who grew up together, one an ordinary dude who found out he's an alien prince of a galactic empire and the incarnation of God; the other a walking disaster area who became a galactic hero with an enormous harem of ever-growing number of women, going on adventures in space.

I really hope they drop this stupid tie-in shit; or at least TRY to make it interesting, but that's impossible. We know what all this training with Kenshi will lead up to.

Have Tenchi and Seina's wedding, and let's focus on the characters that we're actually interested in.

Agreed. I feel like the PW elements are incredibly complex and could have their own OVAs. Either that or make the episodes longer to expand the narrative. The animation is jarring in this episode, some stills very pretty, others looked downright eye watering. Understandably it comes down to budget, but I guess we're happy to have got this far in the anime?!  :spends:

I have to admit seeing Tenchi finally coming to a conclusion (even though we already knew the outcome) felt like a relief and the narrative hopefully can move forward for the main Masaki family. I did enjoy the episode, especially the Tenchi / Ryoko scene (oh the nostalgia!)

I'm hoping for more detailed doujinshis past the IF series re: expansion of the Masaki family rather than the anime.

Quote from: Tensami on August 29, 2020, 10:36:41 PM
I just want Tenchi and Seina to get married.

honestly that would be the  best twist ending. Tenchi and siena just abandon all their harem and marry each other. 

I'm stuck without internet and electricity and I had to go to Walmart to get internet to watch it raw... But I'm so stoked for seeing the episode with subs. So much fan service and when fuku throws people I fucking die laughing she's become an anti perv security system. I hate that my japanise is good enough to know alot of what's being said but not heavy details like ryoko clearly told tenchi she never thought she'd be happy like she is now. I need detaaaaails
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

It had a bit more than just sitting around and talking, but not a whole lot.
Seems like it's mostly to stir up interest in Paradise War when Kajishima picks it back up after wrapping up GXP.
A few more cute moments than the last two episodes though.
As ever, here's hoping SOMETHING happens in the next episode.

Quote from: Dagor Dagorath on September 01, 2020, 01:15:56 AM
It had a bit more than just sitting around and talking, but not a whole lot.
Seems like it's mostly to stir up interest in Paradise War when Kajishima picks it back up after wrapping up GXP.
A few more cute moments than the last two episodes though.
As ever, here's hoping SOMETHING happens in the next episode.

why would he ever pick back up paradise war? the war was faught.... shou is literaly just apart of the show after it. was meant to be for the last decade or so.
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Maysiiu on August 30, 2020, 01:34:12 PM
I have to admit seeing Tenchi finally coming to a conclusion (even though we already knew the outcome) felt like a relief and the narrative hopefully can move forward for the main Masaki family. I did enjoy the episode, especially the Tenchi / Ryoko scene (oh the nostalgia!)
Good news for ya. The narrative probably will move forward for Tenchi and the girls. Something I noticed with the official website for OVA 5 after the release of episode 3 (Which I still haven't watched yet; gonna wait for a proper encode) that I'm surprised hasn't been mentioned yet; there were no new characters added to the site after episode 3 was released. To summarize the history of that...

Right after episode 1 was released: GXP cast (Seina and his harem) was added to the characters section, along with a few others
Right after episode 2 was released: Paradise War cast was added to the characters section (They got around to changing Sasami's images to teen Sasami, but that happened a good amount of time after episode 2's release)
Right after episode 3 was released: Characters section remained untouched

It's looking like we're getting what we were hoping for in the second half of this shebang. Seatbelts, everyone!
"Please let this be a normal field trip!" "With the Friz? No way!"
(Sorry, had to; you know me and my knack for references by now, LOL.)
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

September 03, 2020, 02:47:27 PM #492 Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 04:18:06 PM by Nonsuch Ned
^^^^^^
QuoteIt's looking like we're getting what we were hoping for in the second half of this shebang.

except for the return of Katuhito/Yosho, or Airi for that matter. I would expect the same VA's most recently used, but there would still be a casting announcement.

and I have to say, he's run out of series to tie into and I'm guessing he'd want to keep other GXP elements that tie into Renza or Raceppshi out of the story as they are of current concern to novel readers. 

A big maybe on a super early tease of something he wants to do in the future?

It might be nice to at least reintroduce us to a teen/ young adult Acha though. The last the novels said was that she was going to begin going  to classes, so she's probably moved on to the GXP academy.

...I guess they could maybe do a follow up on whatever dangerous pirates were on that Borg ship? Don't know.

Ultimately I'm with you, I'm guessing the the rest will mostly focus on the "family."
...in my pants

Episode 3 did confirm that Ryoko is Tenchi's favorite wife.  Of Tenchi's wives, Noike will be considered to be the No. One Wife.  Since Ryoko is Tenchi's favorite,, she deserves the right to have Tenchi's first child. Ryoko's and Tenchi's first child is going to be a girl.  The best name for Tenchi's and Ryoko's first  daughter is Kiyone.  Kiyone will be after her Tenchi's mother Kiyone. Since Tenchi's and Ayeka's child is going to be a girl, the best name for her is Achika, Washu will likely confirmed the name to be the mother of Tenchi is Achika is the third Universe. At first,  Ayeka and Tenchi will be confused until Washu informs them that she is referring to the mother of Earth-2's and Universe's Tenchi. Earth-2 is the Earth in the movie Daughter of Darkness.

I have mix views about OVA 5, It should  have been a sequel of Ryo-Ohki.  As a sequel, OVA 5 will be a fine bridge between Ryo-Ohki, GXP, and War on Geminar. For the Tenchi Multiverse, there is no need to merged them.  We did get a hint that Daughter of Darkness's Earth and Ryo-Ohki's Earth are very similar.   After OVA 5, I do want a sequel which focus on Tenchi's oldest son.  I came to call the sequel TENCHI MUYO! THE NEXT GENERATION.  I do want the female protagonist of the series to be the main character. When it comes to a female protagonist being the MC, the anime harem series To Love-Ru Darkness gets the honor.

:how: :popcorn: :huhm:   :bravo2: :duck: :babble:

Quote from: takahata on September 03, 2020, 08:36:59 PM
Episode 3 did confirm that Ryoko is Tenchi's favorite wife. 

How so?

I finally watched the episode myself and this my favorite of OVA 5 so far. I appreciated some of the humor and especially the more tender moments with Tenchi/Kenshi and Tenchi/Ryoko. Just the mention of stuff from OVA 1 made me swoon a bit. The limited animation is killing this show though.