Useless Translations

Started by Auir, February 18, 2013, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yea, I was talking about some less than professional jobs...

I figured that was the best we were ever gonna get if we ever did get this done. I like Tenchi, but not 1000 dollars worth.

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on February 21, 2013, 05:21:41 PM
Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on February 19, 2013, 09:15:43 PM
I don't want to be the debbie-downer, but I just want you guys to be full aware of what you're getting yourself in to. Doing some of the doujins is one thing, but if you're talking about "Everything", then tackling the novels is a whole different beast all together. It's going to be very time consuming and require a lot of editing and re-checking. It's so big this project would literally cost hundreds of dollars if we tried to get this stuff paid...

So while I won't say "May god have mercy on your souls", I will say good luck.  :staredog:

Hundreds?  Try thousands.  I'd say $1,000 per novel minimum.  Likely much more unless you find someone working for much less than they could be.

If it was only a grand a piece, starting a Kickstarter page to fund translating one novel at a time would be very plausible. At least from what I've seen of 4chan anons funding other otaku related projects. But the cost to pay someone to translate just one is more like ten grand. Which is why in the past I've suggested looking for outsourced translators from places like Thailand, where the dollar/euro is strong & the cost of living is significantly less.

word count:
Jurai = 95,371
Josho = 147,632
Washu = 121,304
Isekai = 99,486

Looked into 3rd world freelancers and found a site with their asking rates are included in the description. There were a couple translators from India & SAE with a flat rate of 0.01 Euro, which is roughing a little more than a single penny per word. So with 3rd world translators the first novel could theoretically be translated for around a grand. Ten times less than what it would cost to pay a professional American or Brit to translate it. Of course there would be a lot more post translation proofreading work required thou.

I suggest some doujin first to see if you guys are happy with the output.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.

What about the Doujin with Ryoko's Daughter and what not? We should try that!

We pretty much know what that page is about though....

We need something that we could really use information wise...like 21st Century or something...

Quote from: Tenchi Ryu on March 02, 2013, 08:47:03 PM
We pretty much know what that page is about though....

We need something that we could really use information wise...like 21st Century or something...

That would be a better choice then.