I'm Watching Ai Tenchi Muyo

Started by Ryo-Okay, November 18, 2020, 10:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I've been struggling to find anime to watch lately, so I decided to give Ai another shot. This was my introduction to the series back in 2015, but the format made me drop it pretty quick. I still don't like that it is 3-minute episodes, but it makes it easy to squeeze one in here and there.

So far it hasn't been too bad. I'm only 10 episodes in though, so things could change. I still really like Ryoko and the rest of the Tenchi cast's redesigns. I've been a fan of Yasuda longer than I've been a fan of Tenchi though, so I'm a bit biased. I think the new girls designs are pretty boring though. I think glasses suit Tenchi pretty well.

We'll see how far I actually end up getting with it. I have a bad habit of dropping off shows half way through, even shows I really enjoy.

I agree that format was the biggest issue with me. I stuck it out, though.
As long as you don't take it for more than a romp, it's not that bad.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

How are you watching it? I decided to be a good little completest and franchise supporter and bought the DVD... or BD, forget.
I haven't gotten up the courage to play it though (I have a HUGE backlog though... and mostly watch bits and pieces of Tenchi to double-check wiki articles).

I'm wondering if they just went ahead and removed EDs and OPs for most of them. If they just let them play for the 4 weekly episodes (? - the fifth was the weekly recap, right?  :stonk: )  without a break it would improve things.

I got through it during the initial run... or a little after. I didn't watch every day.
...in my pants

QuoteI'm wondering if they just went ahead and removed EDs and OPs for most of them.

Nope.
It's the short format, without the recaps. I have it, too.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on November 19, 2020, 09:38:52 AM
How are you watching it?
It's on youtube in 3 1-hour parts. No OPs or EDs, just one episode after another. Recaps are still in though.

the hardest part for me was watching tenchi get raped repeadedly by girls he doesnt know
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I'm about a third of the way through now. The format still sucks, and the constant recaps are annoying. The blonde girl reminds me of Wahan from Geminar.

Tenchi is gonna crossdress next episode for some reason...  :christ:

The only thing I remember is that he has an picture with him and salami as background

November 23, 2020, 02:12:31 PM #9 Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:15:46 PM by takahata
My main problem with the series was the lack of emphasis on the past,  By the end of the series, there is an important reference about the Masaki Family and Momo. When you watch the last episode, keep an eye on the story.  You will figure out what is the connection between Jurai, the Masaki Family on Earth,  Momo and the present.

:Hek: :gtfo: :merchant:

I just started the sports festival arc, and I'm a bit confused about something. The show keeps beating down the science club and expects me to find it funny, but they haven't actually done anything wrong. Instead, it just makes the student council look like assholes.

The science club asked for more funding in the first couple of episodes, but was refused because they "didn't give a good reason." Now 20 episodes in I can only assume that was a lie, and the only reason they didn't get more funding was because the student council doesn't like them. The student council cheated them at the beauty pageant by forcing them to compete as 1 entry but split the score they earned 3 ways. And then at the sports festival they were cheated again. Yuki and the katana girl were in a race that allowed weapons. Katana girl had her katana, obviously, and Yuki used the robot from earlier in the show. The science club broke no rules, but, because they are supposed to be the antagonists, the student council cheats and hacks the robot.

The only bad thing the science club has done is attempt to molest Tenchi, but the student council did that as well.

TL;DR the student council is trash. The science club did nothing wrong.

Ai Tenchi Muyo was a pleasant surprise. The format isn't ideal, but it was a fun show and felt like Tenchi again (esp after OVA 3, which I was not fond of). I wish Momo's story (and who she really is) was woven into the show more though, cause a lot of it is sprung on you at the end. It was so good to hear everyone's voices again who returned. It's a shame that after they got Petra Burchard back after so long Jennifer Darling and KT Vogt had retried from voice acting.

Quote from: vegeta1215 on December 01, 2020, 11:02:44 PM
it was a fun show and felt like Tenchi again
In what way does it feel like Tenchi? I'm over halfway through and so far it is some of the most generic and forgettable haremshit I've seen. Give the Tenchi characters different names and this wouldn't even be a Tecnhi show.

Does Ryo-Ohki just not appear in this show? Or does she just show up way late in the series like Mihoshi did?

It was Petrea. All Petrea :)

j/k I think it was just a fun watch and it reminded me of the fun I had watching earlier Tenchi shows, that's all.

I personally agree that Tenchi in Tokyo, and especially Ai Tenchi, were awful. Sorry.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki