they are dubbing ai Tenchi

Started by Eff Efferson, February 22, 2018, 03:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Fap_fapperson on April 08, 2018, 02:40:38 PM
I vote Gilbert godfrey as the voice of ayeka

Had to.  You referenced Gottfried, so I had to bust this GIF out.  :D

Real talk though, after careful consideration... I'd vote for Lauren Landa as being Ayeka's new voice.  Landa did a good job voicing Karin in Street Fighter V, and both Ayeka and Karin have the oujosama laugh.  Not to mention Karin's English voice sounds like it would work nicely for Ayeka as well.

Just don't bring Forstadt back.  PLEASE.  For the love of PETE.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

July 10th.

In shorts format, 200 minutes runtime.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

i got funimation now so i bet they will release it before that on there
for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

I know how they typically work; they'll put a little part up 6 weeks before physical release, but the whole thing comes out on release day.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

The full cast has been posted: https://www.funimation.com/blog/2018/04/23/ai-tenchi-muyo-english-cast-announcement/

CHARACTER   CAST
Tenchi Masaki-   Matt K. Miller
Momo Kawanagare-   Juli Maddalena (Sakuya!)
Beni Kinojo-   Cindy Robinson
Tori Fueyama-   Laura Post
Ryoko-   Petra Burchard
Ukan Kurihara-   Melora Harte (Seto)
Yuki Fuka-   Brianne Brozey
Sasami-   Sherry Lynn
Ayeka-   Cherami Leigh
Hachiko-   Mona Marshall
Hana Saryu-   Dorothy Elias-Fahn
Rui Aoi-   Stephanie Sheh
Washu-   Karen Strassman
Mihoshi-   Rebecca Forstadt

CREW   
ADR Director   Steve Kramer

ADR Script:
Steve Kramer
Melora Harte
Deborah Crane
Scott Page-Pagter

Recorded at   CDP Sound – Burbank CA
Produced by   Del Casher AMI Inc

First of all... +1 to Harls for bringing Ai's dub cast to our attention.  Alright, let's give my thoughts...  *Rolls up sleeves*

Honestly, I actually like all of these choices... that is, except for Cindy Robinson as Beni.  Yo Taichi portrayed Beni as having a tough girl voice and so forth, and knowing Robinson's prior record, it's all cheerful and upbeat girls such as Makoto from BlazBlue (A role that she NAILED!) and so forth.  Sorry, but I just cannot see that working.  (Off topic but relevant to voice actor discussions; if they ever give ToHeart 2 an English dub, Robinson as Konomi or I RIOT!)  On the other hand, they thought out the other new girls nicely, methinks.  I wouldn't be surprised if Mona Marshall's portrayal of Motoko in Love Hina had something to do with her being cast as Hachiko, to be honest.

As for Cherami Leigh (AKA Asuna) being Ayeka's new voice?  As I said, I would have preferred Lauren Landa given her portrayal of Karin in Street Fighter 5; Landa would have hit it out of the park.  However, the thought of Leigh taking over the role didn't cross my mind at all and I can see her being a good Ayeka as well, so no complaints there.  And Karen Strassman as Washu also works given her past record.  Not sure if it would work the same for her adult form in OVA 4 should everyone carry over, but yeah...

Short Version - All good choices, except for Beni.  That's the one role that they went and dropped the ball on.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

QuoteYo Taichi portrayed Beni as having a tough girl voice and so forth... Sorry, but I just cannot see [Cindy Robinson] working.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbosYHwSVLI

I may have helped with the cast selection >___>

I wonder if Burchard can still voice Ryoko at this point. She's been out for a long ass time.

She uses her normal voice, it should be fine.

So, for everyone asking "Why would Funimation pick up Ai? It makes no sense", this is actually something I've got some knowledge in.

When it comes to anime, most licenses depreciate in value over time. Popular shows get snapped up real fast, because the longer you wait to release a legal version, the more potential customers will be lost to piracy. Unpopular shows, or ones that're seen as 'less marketable" can go unlicensed for years, or decades, and over time, the amount of money that a Japanese company is willing to sell the rights for will steadily decrease (there are some rare exceptions).

I don't have access to hard data, but the general consensus seems to be that Ai sold fairly poorly in Japan, and it's also almost four years old. So right now, the license for Ai is probably dirt cheap. Chances are, Funi grabbed Ai because it was so cheap...and it may've also been part of a bundle deal. When a company outside Japan wants to nab a popular show, the Japanese rights holders will sell it on the condition that the foreign company also buys the rights to two or three other, less popular shows. There's a good chance that Funimation wanted some other show, but Ai was thrown into the mix as an add-on.

Of course, this is mostly speculation, but it's what makes the most sense to me.

Quote from: KiddManiac on May 02, 2018, 02:02:55 PM
So, for everyone asking "Why would Funimation pick up Ai? It makes no sense", this is actually something I've got some knowledge in.

When it comes to anime, most licenses depreciate in value over time. Popular shows get snapped up real fast, because the longer you wait to release a legal version, the more potential customers will be lost to piracy. Unpopular shows, or ones that're seen as 'less marketable" can go unlicensed for years, or decades, and over time, the amount of money that a Japanese company is willing to sell the rights for will steadily decrease (there are some rare exceptions).

I don't have access to hard data, but the general consensus seems to be that Ai sold fairly poorly in Japan, and it's also almost four years old. So right now, the license for Ai is probably dirt cheap. Chances are, Funi grabbed Ai because it was so cheap...and it may've also been part of a bundle deal. When a company outside Japan wants to nab a popular show, the Japanese rights holders will sell it on the condition that the foreign company also buys the rights to two or three other, less popular shows. There's a good chance that Funimation wanted some other show, but Ai was thrown into the mix as an add-on.

Of course, this is mostly speculation, but it's what makes the most sense to me.

Thanks I had a hunch it was ultra cheap and didn't sell well, makes sense.

Quote from: Dr.Soviet on May 02, 2018, 05:59:38 PM
Thanks I had a hunch it was ultra cheap and didn't sell well, makes sense.
I can't find much evidence to point to one way or another, but if tourism rates in and around Takahashi, Okayama saw a boost then Ai did exactly was it as supposed to do.  According to this, the growth rates in the Chugoku region at large were pretty flat in 2015 (Ai was broadcast in 2014), and guestroom occupancy rates for Okayama prefecture specifically were 57% which doesn't look like things were booming to me but I wouldn't know without more historical trend data for comparison.

for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here