I don't understand, did the creator forget what made this series so special

Started by Tenchifan30, October 18, 2017, 11:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
In the first place? The original main cast seems to be a thing of the past, why show Tenchi get married when we can show his dad's instead? Makes no sense to me for an entire Ova to be about it but ok. 25th Anniversary let's do a special about some spin off series instead  :shepicide:

Let's not forget how little of a role Tenchi's harem has been getting lately, Piff you mine as well have more spin off series instead of acting like you care about the Tenchi series adding this and that to the original :/

Aahh Sorry, ranting.

Quote from: Tenchifan30 on October 18, 2017, 11:20:29 AM
In the first place? The original main cast seems to be a thing of the past, why show Tenchi get married when we can show his dad's instead? Makes no sense to me for an entire Ova to be about it but ok. 25th Anniversary let's do a special about some spin off series instead  :shepicide:

Let's not forget how little of a role Tenchi's harem has been getting lately, Piff you mine as well have more spin off series instead of acting like you care about the Tenchi series adding this and that to the original :/

Aahh Sorry, ranting.

Look, I hate pretty Sammy and I would rather the money be put into OVA 5. But the reason they cannot do more stories with Tenchi and his girls is because there 0 potential for drama. Tenchi is unkillable and even if Tenchi were mortal his crew would wreck them.

Siena is the outcome is being written into a corner.  The expanded GXP universe is where there is more of a chance for comedy and drama than with Tenchi.

Sad, but True

Aahh Sorry, ranting.

Sadly, I agree with you.  I'm only in it for Tenchi and his girls.  A year ago, Tenchi IF had me rather optimistic on that front even if it was joined at the hip to the GXP cast.  No offense to the MK multiverse fans here, but I care little about Seina & pals, Seto & Friends, Tenchi's extended family, or Nobuyuki and Rea.  That should have been sideshow material at best, treated subtly like Sasami's first ovulation in ep9 or as inconspicuous Tenchi's aunt in the hotsprings, not even noticeable to most of the audience.

Ai Tenchi's problem was that it was so focused on these new characters, who were such **** generic archetypes of modern highschool anime (or in case of Yuki and Rui, full-on personality clones of Washu and Mihoshi), that shoved aside the main cast, besides Tenchi and Washu, who had very little to do with anything throughout until the end.  We already seen that to a much lesser degree in Tenchi in Tokyo and TMiL2, and it didn't work well back then.  TMiL1 did it much better with a new characters, mainly Achika, as it still was about the Main Cast with a mission.  Did we really need another Tenchi anime this year that didn't focus on what made the show:  the main characters?

OAV3's production team was essentially same as OAV2, which I really liked and was centered on the Tenchi cast.  Since the 10 year gap between OAV2 to OAV3, I think the problem basically is that MK went on with his story via printed formats (Novels, doujin, then more novels) the west is not exposed to, and he's mentally treating the OAV as if it's a continuation of his printed material rather than the perspective of the majority of his audience, a story that was left off at OAVep13 where Azusa, Misaki, and Funaho came to visit.  And it only widened now.  Misao (Mihoshi's brother) and his romance with scarface from OAV3 is a symptom of this writing, resolving doujin issues no one only watching the anime knew or cared about.

However, I think it's selling well enough in Japan which is all that really counts to AIC.  I liked aspects of OAV4 that I've seen (I only watched episode 1 due to time constraints but I caught snippets of the other episodes), but ultimately this isn't how I would have presented the show or what I would have focused on.  Especially with only 4 episodes at its disposal.

I know some say that MK wrote himself into a corner, but as of ep13, Tenchi-kami wasn't established yet, only slightly hinted at.  Ultimately, I do resent how it's not Photon, Masquerade, or any of his other shows that were subverted; they were allowed to play out to their finale and kept in their own self-contained universes connected only at the corners to this multiverse.  However, his most successful show here is being subverted to this grand multi-verse vision BEFORE it even had a chance to finish its natural trajectory.  Until episode 14, TM!R felt like it was on it's own distinctive arc... and that arc feels like it's be shoved aside for this material.  If the natural end was Tenchi-kami, all the better, but let's get there along with the household first and enjoy a grand journey paved with their dynamics and antics first rather than writing with the assumption "Tenchi's a god now, obstacles meaningless, so let's focus on other people!" 

It's as if halfway through, AMG had suddenly Keiichi and Belldandy married without prelude or consequence and immediately started focusing on the dramas and tribulations of Belldandy's parents and their colleagues.  The show feels like it turned into a springboard for War on Geminar, GXP and all that jazz which I think is best left behind the scenes because it's very hard for me to care about that stuff or those characters.

More main cast and main cast development, less tertiary characters and their problems, please!  And if new girls come to the household, let them be Tenchi kissers, please :3 ;)

Still and forever, an OAV1&2 fan.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

Aahh Sorry, ranting.

Before I had read the first news of OVA 5,  I have wanted OVA 5 to be about Tenchi becoming a ronin.  A ronin is anyone who has failed any entrance exams. In Japan, entrance exams for high school, college, and private schools are required.  I do think that if Tenchi had wanted to to college despite being a high school dropout,  he will resume his studies.  Tenchi has accessed to one of the finest tutors in the known universe. Oddly, Tenchi's tutor has strong connections with  the Galaxy Academy.  Tenchi will have a major problem with two who may want to join him.  The two are Ayeka and Ryoko.  Unless there is a very good university with a half hour from Masaki Village by train, Tenchi will have to go to Okayama University.

For my ideal for OVA 5, Tenchi finds himself with a second fiancee who happens to be his first fiancee.  Tenchi knows who is his second fiancee. Due to the introduction of Noike in OVA 3,  there are going to be some troubles with Tenchi having another fiancee.  I had envision Tenchi's second fiancee to be a lot like Sayuka of Tenchi in Tokyo.   Tenchi's first fiancee will have to accept the truth that she is going to have more than one sister wife.  To help in my ideal for OVA 5, Tenchi's second fiancee is the main protagonist of the series.   The total number of episodes of my version of OVA 5 will have to be the same number as Universe and Tenchi in Tokyo.

I have thought that OVA 4 could have solved the problems with the Harem related problems.  By the end of OVA 4's fourth episode, it seems that Tenchi was finally able to get married.   He is likely married to Noike, Mihsohi, Ayeka, Ryoko, and Washu by the date of the last scenes in the fourth episode.  There is a probability, that Tenchi had found himself in a group marriage like Siena.    For the ideal of Tenchi finding out that he has a second fiancee, I will treat the ideal mostly as one for a fanfiction series.   Noike was planned to become an important character before OVA 3 came out.

For a true sequel for TENCHI MUYO: RYO-OHKI, I  will suggest that the next Tenchi Muyo series to focus on Tenchi's oldest son. If Tenchi's oldest son is the first son of Tenchi and Ayeka, my name for him will be Kazuki.  Kazuki is named after the father of his paternal grandfather Azusa Masaki Jurai.  My title for the sequel is TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION.   For the sequel, the main protagonist doesn't have to be Kazuki.  We know that TM: TNG will be a harem series.  My suggestion for TM: TNG is for the female protagonist who happens to be Kazuki's first confirm fiancee to be the main protagonist.

When it comes for the 25th anniversity, I will like to see another spinoff.  To me, the spin off should be like TENCHI: UNIVERSE.  Basically like Universe, the spin off will be a reboot of Tenchi Muyo.   For the TENCHI PRIME Universe, the best ideal for a spinoff is known tenatively as TENCHI MUYO: THE NEXT GENERATION.  We known that by the date of the first episode, we will know that Tenchi will be married.  For the name of Tenchi's oldest son,  Kazuki is one of my two choices. My second choice for the name of Tenchi's oldest son is Yosho.

:pcgamer: :how: :ohboy: :whak:  :babble:

Just dropping by to let y'all know ya got shit taste if you don't like Pretty Sammy. :Sas1:

The TV series is the funniest anime in existence.

http://www.youtube.com/v/7lFJC0ywHQk
This has nothing to do with the post. You just kinda wasted your time reading this. Sorry.

i dont know what even is going on with tenchi anymore, it seems exactly like that or massive executive meddling maybe. Maybe he's lost faith in ever having his show full published so he is skipping ahead?

THERE IS SO MUCH MATERIAL WRITTEN FOR AN OVA 5 IN THE NOVELS THAT COMES AFTER OVA 4 THAT IS EXCITING but its being time skipped for kenshi?

AND WHAT IS IN THE ORIGINAL PLOT NOVEL VERSION OF OVA 4? I want to know what was changed so much that he had to get them to release a limited edition novel of how he wanted to do it...

I feel like maybe if we can get that translated we might see what got meddled with.... but i dont think it will make ova 4 any better.

and tenchi ova  can be interesting again without having tenchi's life be at stake. the characters each have their own personal arc that has been set up and neglected... 

ryoko's was learning to express her feelings and well be human for tenchi instead of some kinda killing machine puppet of kagato's.

Ayeka's was well figuring out what happened to yosho and making peace with it and with ryoko and airi (which rougly happens in the gxp novels oddly enough...)

Mihoshi's while never properly established, is supposed to be the resolution of her mental condition and her family's attitudes towards her marrying/ being with tenchi in response to his lineage and her getting her brains blown out in the past, not to mention the resolution of miwase's feelings for her. (miwase is person in gxp 3 who is hinted as having loved her before her brains went kablooey)

Washu's is supposed to be her getting over what happened with her child and confessing her long and troubled past to tenchi, while also dealing with it in the future by helping her son escape the life she couldn't save his from as a child followed by the eventual announcement of her survival to the universe which is again ironically complicated by political reasons.

Sasami's has an over arching plot line of being homesick and missing jurai that just gets ignored to shit.

heck while where on the subject minahos warning that they may have to pack up n move to jurai is pointless when we know they never do.

also pretty sammy is top teir anime comedy

for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on October 19, 2017, 03:36:10 PM
Maybe he's lost faith in ever having his show full published so he is skipping ahead?
This seems the most likely to me. After 25 years Kajishima has only been able to make 24 episodes, so he's probably picking the parts he wants to make most and skipping the rest.

Quote from: Fap_fapperson on October 19, 2017, 03:36:10 PMand tenchi ova  can be interesting again without having tenchi's life be at stake. the characters each have their own personal arc that has been set up and neglected... 

ryoko's was learning to express her feelings and well be human for tenchi instead of some kinda killing machine puppet of kagato's.

Ayeka's was well figuring out what happened to yosho and making peace with it and with ryoko and airi (which rougly happens in the gxp novels oddly enough...)

Mihoshi's while never properly established, is supposed to be the resolution of her mental condition and her family's attitudes towards her marrying/ being with tenchi in response to his lineage and her getting her brains blown out in the past, not to mention the resolution of miwase's feelings for her. (miwase is person in gxp 3 who is hinted as having loved her before her brains went kablooey)

Washu's is supposed to be her getting over what happened with her child and confessing her long and troubled past to tenchi, while also dealing with it in the future by helping her son escape the life she couldn't save his from as a child followed by the eventual announcement of her survival to the universe which is again ironically complicated by political reasons.

Sasami's has an over arching plot line of being homesick and missing jurai that just gets ignored to shit.

heck while where on the subject minahos warning that they may have to pack up n move to jurai is pointless when we know they never do.

also pretty sammy is top teir anime comedy

Yus to all of this!

I wish MK would just start a manga.
Visit Tenchi's Girls Facebook Group for everyday pics and random info.  Tenchi's Girls Twitter too.

QuoteYus to all of this!

I wish MK would just start a manga.

This is logical. He's already detailing a lot of Tenchi's future through these quick snippet doujins, but why not make it a full-time project? He could fit everything he wanted with the manga format.

I believe part of it is AIC not wanting to do stuff, but really who knows...

A manga would be the best way to go for sure.

Expanding the Uni via manga and novels is great but I hope Kaji remembers us international Tenchi fans. We're still here. And we will literally pay for more story.
Say my name.

Baker.

You're dang right.

>manga is the way to go.
honestly, i feel like manga cant do justice to his work. tenchi works great as novels because he can convey emotions and explain abstract concepts much better.

for all my tenchi work go to
tenchimuyotranslationblog.blogspot.com
Pdfs and audiobooks:
click here

*Runs in*  Ladies and gentlemen.  I agree with all of your statements here, but right now I'm just happy that we have a new Pretty Sammy coming up AND confirmation that OVA 5 is happening.  The 25th anniversary is actually being handled with at least a semi-decent level of competence.  Do I need to remind you of what happened for the 20th anniversary and almost killed the franchise completely?

Quote from: جبريل 無道 on October 19, 2017, 12:37:55 PM
Ai Tenchi's problem was that it was so focused on these new characters, who were such **** generic archetypes of modern highschool anime (or in case of Yuki and Rui, full-on personality clones of Washu and Mihoshi), that shoved aside the main cast, besides Tenchi and Washu, who had very little to do with anything throughout until the end.

...oops, looks like someone already did.  That, and the 5 minutes an episode and a recap every 5th episode until the finale also acted as what I'll call a "super crutch" that further guaranteed that all the new girls would take the main cast (Aside from Tenchi and Washu) and throw them down the river.  Ai did so many things wrong - Jibs pointed out the first part of it, and I just pointed out the second part.

But either way, my statement is that as bad as you may feel about some of the decisions lately (I agree with pretty much all the sentiments here as I already noted), at least the 25th isn't a repeat of the 20th.  Wait for the stuff to happen before getting all up in arms.  At least this time, we know it's not gonna be a complete trainwreck like the 20th was because of Ai.  *Runs out*
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I doubt AIC did too much meddling. What company in their right mind would greenlight a 4th season of a 25 year old show and then tell the creator to focus on side characters instead of the main cast? If anything they would be pushing for the main cast to be front and center, especially after Ai focused on a bunch of new characters and flopped hard.

I'd love for Kajishima to do a manga, but unless he gets someone else to do the artwork it seems impossible. There is no way he could handle the GXP novels, OVA 5, his doujins and a manga serialization.