What Anime are you currently watching?

Started by Surgeon Of Death, November 07, 2014, 11:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I started and got caught up with Pokemon (2019). It's been enjoyable so far, but I'm not as big a fan of the current format. They ditched having Ash travel a single region and instead have him travel around all the regions. Even though the old show was episodic they were always moving to their next important destination. The new show is just episodic with many episodes feeling irrelevant.

Currently watching, toku included and Tenchi Muyo! OVA 5's final episode notwithstanding (Of course I'm watching that when it comes out)...

•Digimon Adventure:. It has a simpler story than the other seasons to be honest, but the changes to character traits with the Digidestined are pretty good. I'm really liking the new take on Mimi, seeing a lot of the alternate Digivolutions and more recently introduced Digimon has been awesome, and I love how they've been using some of the new Digimon to fill out Digivolution lines (Argomon's Fresh to Champion forms, Eyesmon, Nidhoggmon, DoneDevimon, Potamon, and RareRaremon come to mind in regards to this). If you want mostly good fights and not as much of a plot as usual (Like Fusion), this season definitely provides that.
•Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger, the 45th anniversary season of Super Sentai. It's to the mecha what Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger was to the Rangers, and it's so good. Gaon is probably my favorite of the core team.
•My Hero Academia Season 5, goes without saying given that I watched the first 4 seasons.
•Mairimashita! Iruma-kun Season 2, goes without saying given that I watched the first season.
•Nomad: Megalo Box 2, goes without saying... you get the idea.
•SSSS.Dynazenon, which like SSSS.Gridman was for 2018 is already in fierce contention for my favorite anime this year.

As for what I know I'll be watching when it begins and is confirmed to be coming up...

•Ultraman Trigger, sequel to Ultraman Tiga and Ultraman Dyna. It even features a new iteration of GUTS; if that doesn't scream "sequel", I don't know what does. Confirmed for July 2021.
•Kamen Rider Black Sun, reboot of Kamen Rider Black. I am stoked for this. Confirmed for 2022.
•Futo Detectives, anime sequel of Kamen Rider W. I am also stoked for this. Also confirmed for 2022.
•Love Live! Superstar!!. Confirmed for Summer 2021.
•Muv-Luv Alternative. On which note, this is the only Autumn 2021 anime that has my attention and isn't a sequel that I'm not caught up for yet. Meaning that Muv-Luv, Zenkaiger, and Ultraman Trigger (And potentially the season of Kamen Rider after Saber) are gonna have to carry me through Autumn 2021 singlehandedly unless something else gets announced. I didn't mention Digimon Adventure: because that will be over by this point. So... *Crosses fingers that Million Live! suddenly pops up in the Autumn 2021 anime season*
•THE iDOLM@STER Million Live! (And speaking of which, LOL). Which reminds me... I need to watch the last couple of episodes of the original series given that unlike Cinderella Girls and SideM, Million Live! is a straight sequel. Currently not dated, but confirmed to be happening.
•Kantai Collection Season 2. Completely different story and set of protagonists than Season 1 and the movie, on which note (It's confirmed that Shigure will be the main heroine this time, not Fubuki). Confirmed for 2022.

Several of the other sequels and spinoffs coming up would also be on my radar, but I'm not caught up for those yet. And the fact that Netflix got Edens Zero and the Shaman King reboot (Which means Netflix is holding them hostage until they're ready to do a batch release like they always do) effectively took them off my radar.

And oh... Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2, The iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors anime, and High School DxD Season 5 when?
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.
Current profile photo: Sakuya Shirase (THE iDOLM@STER Shiny Colors)

I have not had the time to watch much anime in the past few years, but I recently watched Earwig and the Witch, and some Wano arc One Piece episodes.
Please help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

https://tenchi.fandom.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

I still almost exclusively watch anime. So, no Disney+, regular TV is largely forgotten.

I try out a bunch before whittling them down. We'll see what actually gets watched

Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro
-The bullying aspect is a bit uncomfortable, but they're showing how it's not quite what it seems
Farewell, My Dear Cramer
-Non-sexualized girls playing sports! Good characters... the issue is that I don't like Soccer
Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway
-meh, slightly curious how this turns out. It has little things you don't often see
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
-Nothing really happens in this isekai show, I may have already dropped this, It's still in my queue but I don't see my self returning.
Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House
-Cute characters, curious peek into Maiko world... but not much of a story to hook a watcher... I'm already an episode or two behind, may not get back to it
Koikimo
-Some are uncomfortable with what they see as an older guy "stalking" a teen girl he likes. I think it can redeem itself as an odd couple romcom.
Odd Taxi
-really intriguing premise that gives you the idea that the MC is the only one who sees everyone as anthropomorphic animals, but intentionally slow and diologue driven. Maybe to wide of a cast
Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose
-evidently because all of the romantic interests are childhood friends of some sort. It's kinda a typical wacky highschool romcom with a screaming MC. Some hints at a decent back story.
Pretty Boy Detective Club
-A SHAFT, Nisiosin joint. talking/visuals/subtle symbolism using anime tropes, A little bit of an Ouran flavor to it
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent
-Could be great, a smart, slightly older girl isekei MC. But apparently it's really taking out a lot of content from the novels.
The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
-If you want to forget, for a while, that Slimey massacred 20,000 people, half of whom had given up... then here's a side story about farming and fun and everyone is also just so dang nice.
Super Cub
-Sort of a healing anime about a cute girl who gains friends after getting a Honda Super Cub, but the depth of the MC's depression and resignation to an empty life is pretty extreme. Not really a CGDCT show

HIGHLIGHTS:
Those Snow White Notes
-Jammin' on a Shamisen show. Good characters, a sort of red herring intro where you think you're getting one cast of young adults but quickly dumps them and gives you a show centered around a high school club after all.
To Your Eternity
-A Silent Voice writer wants to make you cry more with a sort of metaphysical twist where a "God" drops an immortal being into a world where he has to evolve from a rock, to moss, to a wolf, to a human and learn about humanity, presumably over eons of time. So far the theme seems to heavily rely on children dying.
Vivy -Fluorite Eye's Song
Sci-Fi show in which an AI travels back 100 years to instruct an android on how to change a future in which the androids of the future massacre all of humanity. She's just a nice android who wants to fulfill her programming to "bring happiness to humans by singing"- but is convinced she can't fulfill her program if all the humans are dead. The AI (using a Teddy Bear body) activates his program every few years to help her fulfill a task at a "singularity moment" that apparently leads to the future calamity.

Continuing:
Hero Academia
I'm a Spider, So What
-It's got issues, the split timelines are annoying. Bad guys are sneering sadists or simple monsters and I don't care much about the other cast. World-building is confusing.
Detective Conan
-As Always. I've watched 1000+ of these episodes, Am I supposed to just stop now?
...in my pants

I am currently watching Video Girl Ai (電影 少女) OVA 1992, and I intend to read the manga soon.

Still watching the same shows as before except for Zenkaiger. Toei basically pulled the plug on fansubs for Kamen Rider and Super Sentai recently, which in relates to Kamen Rider isn't necessarily bad if they start releasing the official subs more consistently (And they'd better)... but that's bad for Super Sentai, because Toei can't release official subs in the west even if they wanted to because Hasbro is blocking them using the Power Rangers license (Which means Hasbro has basically become Super Harmony Gold II Turbo). Which frustrates me to no end because I was enjoying the heck out of Zenkaiger.

This is very bad news for the Autumn 2021 anime season on my end, because now Muv-Luv Alternative and the second half of Ultraman Trigger have to carry that entire season for me. Everything else I'm interested in for that season is all sequels that I'm not caught up for. Even whatever season of Kamen Rider comes up after Saber wouldn't bail me out because yeah, no subs. This also means that if there's nothing for me in Winter 2022 (Whether it doesn't have anything I'm interested in or it's all sequels I'm not caught up for), I'm going to have nothing... and unlike previous anime seasons that had nothing for me, I won't have Kamen Rider and / or Super Sentai to bail me out anymore (Ultraman only runs during the second half of each year; the first half of the year Ultraman always does a glorified recap season), which means I'll have a serious problem.

I'm gonna be selfish just this once and hope, pray, and everything else in between that THE iDOLM@STER Million Live! drops during either Autumn 2021 or Winter 2022... because if not, 2022 is going to be off to a boring start for me. And because next year is both Digimon and Tenchi's anniversary year... no thanks, I don't want any of that noise right out the gate.
"I believe classic Mewtwo shot first, and I will die on that hill." -Me, at some point. Probably.

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on April 29, 2021, 12:10:38 PM
I still almost exclusively watch anime. So, no Disney+, regular TV is largely forgotten.

I try out a bunch before whittling them down. We'll see what actually gets watched

Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro
-The bullying aspect is a bit uncomfortable, but they're showing how it's not quite what it seems
Farewell, My Dear Cramer
-Non-sexualized girls playing sports! Good characters... the issue is that I don't like Soccer
Higehiro: After Being Rejected, I Shaved and Took in a High School Runaway
-meh, slightly curious how this turns out. It has little things you don't often see
I've Been Killing Slimes for 300 Years and Maxed Out My Level
-Nothing really happens in this isekai show, I may have already dropped this, It's still in my queue but I don't see my self returning.
Kiyo in Kyoto: From the Maiko House
-Cute characters, curious peek into Maiko world... but not much of a story to hook a watcher... I'm already an episode or two behind, may not get back to it
Koikimo
-Some are uncomfortable with what they see as an older guy "stalking" a teen girl he likes. I think it can redeem itself as an odd couple romcom.
Odd Taxi
-really intriguing premise that gives you the idea that the MC is the only one who sees everyone as anthropomorphic animals, but intentionally slow and diologue driven. Maybe to wide of a cast
Osamake: Romcom Where The Childhood Friend Won't Lose
-evidently because all of the romantic interests are childhood friends of some sort. It's kinda a typical wacky highschool romcom with a screaming MC. Some hints at a decent back story.
Pretty Boy Detective Club
-A SHAFT, Nisiosin joint. talking/visuals/subtle symbolism using anime tropes, A little bit of an Ouran flavor to it
The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent
-Could be great, a smart, slightly older girl isekei MC. But apparently it's really taking out a lot of content from the novels.
The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
-If you want to forget, for a while, that Slimey massacred 20,000 people, half of whom had given up... then here's a side story about farming and fun and everyone is also just so dang nice.
Super Cub
-Sort of a healing anime about a cute girl who gains friends after getting a Honda Super Cub, but the depth of the MC's depression and resignation to an empty life is pretty extreme. Not really a CGDCT show

HIGHLIGHTS:
Those Snow White Notes
-Jammin' on a Shamisen show. Good characters, a sort of red herring intro where you think you're getting one cast of young adults but quickly dumps them and gives you a show centered around a high school club after all.
To Your Eternity
-A Silent Voice writer wants to make you cry more with a sort of metaphysical twist where a "God" drops an immortal being into a world where he has to evolve from a rock, to moss, to a wolf, to a human and learn about humanity, presumably over eons of time. So far the theme seems to heavily rely on children dying.
Sci-Fi show in which an AI travels back 100 years to instruct an android on how to change a future in which the androids of the future massacre all of humanity. She's just a nice android who wants to fulfill her programming to "bring happiness to humans by singing"- but is convinced she can't fulfill her program if all the humans are dead. The AI (using a Teddy Bear body) activates his program every few years to help her fulfill a task at a "singularity moment" that apparently leads to the future calamity.

Continuing:
Hero Academia
I'm a Spider, So What
-It's got issues, the split timelines are annoying. Bad guys are sneering sadists or simple monsters and I don't care much about the other cast. World-building is confusing.
Detective Conan
-As Always. I've watched 1000+ of these episodes, Am I supposed to just stop now?

So... what have I actually finished by the end of the season? Mainly the easy watches.

Forgot to mention:
Fruit Baskets: Final
They cut one big story out, which upset people... but apparently they're creating an entire separate prequel series about Tohru's parents... which is odd.

Those Snow White Notes
The Slime Diaries: That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime I think I may try a quick run-through of the first season before the second half of the 2nd proper show restarts.
Koikimo - Harmless
Hero Academia - up to this point
D. Conan

Close to finishing:
Don't Toy with Me, Miss Nagatoro -Mostly harmless, but repetitive
Super Cub

Stopped because I realized I'd rather marathon:
Odd Taxi
To Your Eternity

The rest will probably languish in my queue... maybe finishing. "Spider" was a bit of a disappointment- once they switched the focus to the "human" side, I really started to lose interest.
...in my pants

Ranma 1/2 currently. Never finished teh series lol.
They live. We sleep.

Quote from: RyannVonDoom on July 13, 2021, 11:45:32 PM
Ranma 1/2 currently. Never finished teh series lol.

This is an interesting anime, with a cool and unique concept, especially the design of the main protagonist, 早乙女 乱馬 Ranma Saotome. Btw, Ryoko made a brief cameo in one of the episodes before the release of the TM OVA series. There is a thread about it here.

I'm watching Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995), recommended by WaitoKon. I'm really enjoying it.

Of course... Ranma was never actually "completed" - you'll need to search out the manga to get the last big storyline...but even then, you don't get a complete resolution of the rom-com story.
...in my pants

July 19, 2021, 03:47:13 PM #85 Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 01:26:59 PM by Nonsuch Ned
Kind of funny, last season I started watching too much and am still catching up. This time, not a single original series caught my eye... although I still haven't tried the one about the idol working at an aquarium, that may be worth watching. So now it's only  sequels and continuing.

Slime
Hero Academia
All routes lead to doom
K's Dragon Maid
Irregular side story
The never-ending Detective Conan

Actually, once again trying to watch Tenchi Universe through* again. Last attempt  was probably over 5 years ago. All apologies, but certain aspects (i.e. "wacky shenanigans")  just drive be batty.

I skipped time and space adventures this time*- and plan on jumping through that one where they're all starving and Ryoko goes of to save them and retrieve food... but wastes all the money, gorges herself on food and alcohol, and lets them go on starving before leading the bad guys to everyone. Meanwhile Mihoshi "hilariously" keeps sabotaging Washu's repair efforts.
Ha Ha, they're all stranded and starving and Ryoko's a bitch... That's where I decided to "take a break" the last time.
I haven't actually finished a run-through in over a dozen years.
[edit] Finished it... it really is white label generic Tenchi, isn't it? Lots of filler, no explanation. "Jurai Power" eh? That's some awesome Jurai power you got there... Kagato gots Dark Jurai Power, Ayeka suddenly gets some.... BTW- who is emperor after Kagato is "defeated"?... probably a thread above to talk about it, just can't bother. But at least now I can watch the movies and get back to reading the manga (which shoehorns in an adaptation) without struggling to remember the details.
...in my pants

I'm watching the anime Horimiya 2021 right now. From the first minutes of the anime, you are very interested in the characters' relationships, and the characters here are fascinating. In this anime, the main characters are high school students Izumi Miyamura and Kyoko Hori. Kyoko Hori is an ordinary high school girl who is kind and helpful and lives with her mother and younger brother. At the same time, Izumi is her classmate who seems gloomy and uncommunicative. The anime has excellent drawings and exciting romance. There is also a fair amount of humor. This anime is easily watchable in a single breath. This anime is short enough for only 12 episodes, 24 minutes each. I liked it very much, and it's a great everyday anime about relationships between high school kids. You can watch it at https://mrkissanime.com/.

I finished the second season of Reincarnated as a Slime. The first half was pretty fun, but the second half was a drag.

I also have been rewatching Natsume's Book of Friends. I watched the first 5 seasons over a couple of weeks, so I should be done with season 6 in the next few days. I somehow missed that a movie released a couple of years ago, so I'm looking forward to watching that after I finish the show.

January 10, 2022, 04:30:00 PM #88 Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 04:36:45 PM by Nonsuch Ned
New season looks pretty weak. My Dress-Up Darling looks to be a decent otaku teen romance (cosplay girl and a lonely apprentice Hina Doll maker). Akebi's Sailor Uniform [and Foot Fetish Happy Time] may be alright but it may give you tonal whiplash. There are many many run of the mill isekai again but very little that stands out in regular streaming. Netflix will eventually drop all 6(?) episodes of Orbital Children, the loooong overdue next work from the creator of the excellent Dennou Coil.

Then there's some sequels. If you watched AoT then you've got one last political vorefest to relish in.
I'm likely to watch the Princess Connect sequel. It certainly isn't essential watching, but watching potato-kun getting dragged away by wolves is always worth a laugh.
...in my pants

Quote from: Nonsuch Ned on January 10, 2022, 04:30:00 PM
New season looks pretty weak. My Dress-Up Darling looks to be a decent otaku teen romance (cosplay girl and a lonely apprentice Hina Doll maker). Akebi's Sailor Uniform [and Foot Fetish Happy Time] may be alright but it may give you tonal whiplash. There are many many run of the mill isekai again but very little that stands out in regular streaming. Netflix will eventually drop all 6(?) episodes of Orbital Children, the loooong overdue next work from the creator of the excellent Dennou Coil.

Then there's some sequels. If you watched AoT then you've got one last political vorefest to relish in.
I'm likely to watch the Princess Connect sequel. It certainly isn't essential watching, but watching potato-kun getting dragged away by wolves is always worth a laugh.
^ Pretty much this. If you aren't caught up for the sequels (I certainly am not caught up for neither Attack on Titan nor Princess Connect!), this is pretty much the weakest anime season all year. From what we know so far, though, the other 3 seasons this year are looking better and, quite frankly, have more sequels for stuff that I'm actually caught up on. :) But for now, it's just Digimon Ghost Game (Which isn't a seasonal anime but I'm still noting it anyway because it's basically my Get Out of Jail Free card right now, LOL; and yes, Gammamon is best boy) and Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Development Department (Which is a huge love letter to tokusatsu and which I'm watching because I'm a toku nut and not afraid to admit it; only two episodes currently in because the second episode got delayed by the recent tsunami warning) for me.

The other seasons this year are all confirmed to have at least one sequel I'm caught up for. Spring 2022 has both Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2 and Komi Can't Communicate Season 2 (I need to finish Season 1 of Komi, but I'm loving it so far; it's just so gosh darn endearing), Summer 2022 has Utawareumono: The Two Hakuoros (Sequel to The False Faces obviously), and Autumn 2022 has Kantai Collection Season 2 (Though from my understanding it's more of a clean slate than an actual sequel, complete with the main protagonist being changed from Fubuki to Shigure). I'm also waiting for Spy x Family and Fuuto PI (The latter of which is a sequel to Kamen Rider W on which note; an anime sequel to a toku, the last time that happened was SSSS Gridman), My Hero Academia Season 6 is likely to be somewhere in there (Though we don't know WHEN yet), and my fingers are of course crossed for THE iDOLM@STER Million Live! (Announced in 2020) to pop up before the year is over. As far as anime movies go, my eyes are on SSSS Gridman X SSSS Dynazenon, Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero (Department of Redundancy Department title I know, but I'm still looking forward to it), and whatever the new movie for Digimon Adventure 02 will be called (It only has a tentative title right now). The premise of this one actually sounds interesting; it's not "the old heroes are back for one more go" like it was in tri. and Last Evolution Kizuna (tri. was a steaming mess, but Kizuna OTOH, while it wasn't the best thing in the world, actually wasn't that bad at all), but rather "Davis and Veemon meet the first man to ever have a partner Digimon", so I'm very curious to hear more about it.

On the tokusatsu side of things, I'm waiting for Avataro Sentai Donbrothers to start up, which based on what we know is going to continue Super Sentai's 45th anniversary into a second year to the point where Zenkaizer and ZenkaiZyuran are even sticking around! Fell behind on both Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger (Speaking of which...) and Kamen Rider Revice unintentionally (Mostly because so much had me distracted on the side; I did manage to get pretty far into Zenkaiger though), which is a shame because I was enjoying both of those. On the other hand, I legitimately dropped Ultraman Trigger not too far in because 1. They did 2 recap episodes in a row after only 4 episodes (And oh, a third recap episode came up later; given that the fans agree that Trigger wasn't all that great combined with there being 25 episodes not counting the 3 recaps, I'd say that's completely unacceptable), and 2. It wasn't nearly as good as Ultraman Z (Which is awesome BTW; if you haven't watched a season of Ultraman yet and are looking to get into the franchise, watch Ultraman Z right now; it's GOOOOOOOOOD) and is often noted as the weakest season of Ultraman in a while. And I agree; I dropped it after 2 or 3 episodes, after all. Ultraman Decker has some serious damage control to do, sadly... oh, there's also Kamen Rider Black Sun. Can't wait for that especially!

TLDR Weak season now, yes, but the rest of this year is looking more active for me watching anime than 2019 to 2021 were, during which I had to rely on the toku I was watching plus Digimon Adventure: as Get Out of Jail Free cards. Might be my most active anime year since 2018 (Which was filled with stuff that I was interested in, with plenty of sequels that I was ready for just like this year looks to be). Helmet on, buckled up, and rocket cycle ready to go. :)