Tenchi fans should read Invaders of the Rokujouma!?

Started by Ryo-Okay, July 10, 2017, 01:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
I'm not sure if this is where this post belongs, but since it has an anime I thought I'd post it here.

I recently read the Invaders of the Rokujouma light novels and thought people around here might enjoy them. I've always had a hard time writing down my thoughts, so this post will probably be an incoherent mess but please bear with me.

Rokujouma is about a boy named Koutarou whose father gets transferred due to work, but Kotarou likes the school he's gotten into so he decides that he will become independent. Luckily Kotarou finds a cheap six-tatami mat room that's rent is only 5000 yen a month. The reason it's so cheap is that the room is haunted, and the ghost doesn't intend to give up her room. But Koutarou and the ghost aren't the only ones interested in the room. Soon a magical girl, an underground person and an alien princess show up, and the 5 begin fighting for ownership of the room.

One of my favorite parts of the Tenchi ovas, and what made it stand out from other harems I had watched, was how Tenchi and the girls felt like a family to me. Rokujouma puts a decent amount of focus on how the characters change from enemies to a family willing to risk their lives for each other. The characters are, in my opinion, the most important part of a harem series, and I think Rokujouma has great characters. The way they develop and how their relationships develop is one of my favorite parts of the series.

I've seen people complain about the lack of action in ova 4, so I should warn you that Rokujouma starts as a slice of life series with a little action, but it eventually becomes very action heavy. The slice of life stuff doesn't go away and there are a few volume of short stories that are only slice of life stuff.

The first 7 volumes are only the prologue, and they focus mainly on the characters and their relationships with each other. The 1st volume is the weakest because it is introducing all the characters so they come off as very cookie cutter, but they do get fleshed out throughout the series. I'm not going to be unreasonable and ask you to stick with it until volume 7 if you're not enjoying it, but I would suggest reading at least the first 3 or 4 volumes.

There is a 12 episode anime, and while I would suggest you just start with the light novels, the anime might be a good place for you to give it a try. The anime crams a lot into 12 episodes though. It adapts the first 6 volumes and half of volume 7, so if you do try the anime and decide to read the light novels I'd recommend starting from volume 1.

I didn't go into much detail on the content of the series because I think it would be best to go in without much prior knowledge. I would recommend not even looking at covers until you get to that volume. I had spoiled myself on quite a few of the details, and while those spoilers are what got me to read the series, I wish I could have experienced the series without any knowledge of it.

The series was licensed by J-Novel Club and they licensed the fan translation and hired the fan translator to keep working on the series. Volumes 1-22 are edited versions of the fan translation and will be free to read on their site and on their app. The first 5 volumes are currently available on their site. Their site doesn't have the color illustrations.
https://j-novel.club/s/invaders-of-the-rokujouma

The first 4 volumes have been released in e-books, and you can get them on amazon, kobo and ibook. These versions do come with the color illustrations.

You can find the epubs of the fan translation here.
san.ae/mega

This post is just me rambling and probably won't get many people interested in the series, but if even one person tries the series thanks to this post I'll consider it a success.