Best of the 2010s

Author (Read 375 times)

Best of the 2010s
« on: January 17, 2020, 10:30:58 PM »

Ryo-Okay

• Members+
  • Members
  • LOVE is ALL
I won't lie, this is just me looking for recommendations. What were some of your favorite anime, manga, light novels, anything else you think is worth mentioning of 2010-2019.

Anime:
Barakamon
D-frag!
The World God Only Knows (It's a shame how awful the final manga arc was.)
Ben-To
Witch Craft Works
Invaders of the Rokujouma!?
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

Manga:
Renai Boukun
Maga-Tsuki

Light Novels:
Invaders of the Rokujouma!? (Technically it started in 2009, but 30 of its 33 volumes were published in the 2010s.)

Re: Best of the 2010s
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 09:29:56 PM »

WaitoKon

• Members
Anime

Hyouka
KonoSuba
DanMachi
Re: Zero
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

Manga
Inside Mari
Happiness
Platinum End
Shinji Ikari Raising Project (licensed overseas releases)

Light Novels
True Tenchi  :discoursechef:

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 10:07:02 PM »

Ricin

• Members
Anime

Mob Psycho
Rising of the Shield Hero
Food Wars
Cat Shit One
WiseMan's Grandson
War on Geminar
Tenchi OVA 4

Manga
Food Wars
Wiseman's Grandson

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 07:33:42 AM »

antvasima

• Members+
  • Members
  • Wiki Bureaucrat
I haven't watched much anime in recent years, but I like the following manga, anime, and cartoons that have come out in the last 10 years:

Bleach
Dragon Ball Super
The Dragon Prince
DuckTales
Fist of the Blue Sky
Fullmetal Alchemist
Gravity Falls
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Kongou Banchou
The Legend of Korra
The Looney Tunes show
Magi - Labyrinth of Magic
My Hero Academia
Nanatsu No Taizai
Naruto
One Piece
One Punch Man
The Penguins of Madagascar
Phineas and Ferb
Tenchi Muyo!
Toriko
Yotsuba&!
Help out with improving the Tenchi Muyo wiki:

http://tenchi.wikia.com/wiki/Tenchi_Muyo_Wiki

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 02:13:59 PM »

For Washuu

• Members
Manga
Inside Mari[...]

ಠ_ಠ

I mean, yeah, but...
I thought I was the only one messed up enough to like that manga...

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2020, 10:48:35 PM »

WaitoKon

• Members
Well I started reading it after the Wiki for Japan's #1 anime film "Your Name" talked of the manga as inspiration. I mean, Shinkai pretty much ripped the entire opening act of Inside Mari into a film format.

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2020, 11:19:05 PM »

Ricin

• Members
Your Name is very pretty but the plot is shit. They are doing a new movie and I am sure it will be more of the same

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 11:22:38 PM »

WaitoKon

• Members
If you mean Weathering With You, yeah there is consensus that it is just a clone or sequel in tone and to some extent plot twists. This makes me wonder why they didn't just make a Your Name 2.

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:10 AM »

Harls

• Members
  • Irresponsible Curmudgeon
All Shinkai films are clones, anyway.
"Growing up leads to growing old and then to dying,and dying to me don't sound like all that much fun."

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2020, 03:11:40 PM »

WaitoKon

• Members
Well Shinkai is on the right track. They did pay Schwarzenegger an absolutely staggering amount of money to make The 6th Day, no doubt repeat success to the point where you just clone your work or even yourself is good business.  :sus:

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2020, 09:41:03 PM »

WarOmnimon

• Members
  • Tends to change his profile pic without warning.
I wasn't really paying attention to a bunch of anime between 2010 and 2014 (The latter of which was a bad year for my personal life anyway... both Ai Tenchi Muyo! AND Power Rangers Super MegaFARCE airing that year CERTAINLY didn't help matters) as much as I did between 2015 and 2019, but I've still got some I wanted to mention. Out of what I watched during this timeframe, I enjoyed these. I'll also note the year that each one aired in.

And no, I'm not going to mention Tenchi or its spinoffs. That's because they go without saying. The name on this forum's marquee IS Useless Tenchi, after all. :)

•Digimon Xros Wars, 2010 to 2012: Don't let the idea of Digixrossing being used instead of Digivolution (At least at first; traditional Digivolving begins happening regularly right before the Death Generals arc begins) fool you; Xros Wars has THE best action sequences in the entire Digimon anime. The first arc and the Death Generals arc form a decent story, and Taiki (The "goggleboy" of the season) stands out for being so strategically sound. But stay away from Young Hunters. Yes, Gumdramon and his forms are awesome... but the story is basically nothing but mindless filler until the big final battle (Which is a teamup with the main protagonists of the previous anime seasons; mostly the "goggleboys" but also a few others), and even that ends up being lackluster BECAUSE of how much filler you have to sit through to get to it compared to how long the final battle lasts.

•THE iDOLM@STER, 2011: One word; FUN. On top of that, they managed to give everyone an even amount of screentime and character development... which is pretty remarkable when the show basically has 13 main protagonists (15 if you count Kotori and the "broducer", which you should be) AND 25 episodes total to work with. Sometimes I ask myself; "how did they pull it off!?". I haven't watched the movie yet, so I can't comment on that.

•High School DxD, 2012 to 2018: If you like harem anime and action anime, you'll LOVE DxD. Plenty of both genres to go around. Oh... word of advice. In terms of DxD BorN (Season 3), only watch up to episode 8. DxD HERO (Season 4) episode 0 (Yes, there's actually an episode ZERO; they had to do canon based damage control) is what REALLY happens after episode 8, because from episode 9 onward, BorN goes completely off canon and the results are... well, trust me. Once BorN goes off canon, the rest of it is just plain BAD.

•PUCHiM@S!! PETiT iDOLM@STER, 2013 to 2014: 14 of the 15 main protags from iM@S return for this one (The producer is a different character in this one; a straight up goofball with the letter "P" as his head; I kid you not), along with the Puchidols (Basically Mini Mes of the idols and Kotori). Much wackier than the main series, and just as much fun.

•Kantai Collection, 2015: A good balance of fun and action sequences, a fun concept (The same concept was used for Azur Lane), and the fact that every kind of anime fan will find at least one character they'll really like here (And possibly a potential new waifu). It should be noted that the upcoming season 2 will feature a completely different story and mostly different characters, and thus won't require you to watch season 1 first. Like with THE iDOLM@STER, I haven't seen the movie (Which is a finale to season 1) yet, so I can't comment on it.

•Dragon Ball Super, 2015 to 2018: Needs no introduction. Definitely recommended.

•My Hero Academia, 2016 to, well... it's still running: Same thing I said about Dragon Ball Super, but I'll say it again. Needs no introduction. Definitely recommended.

•Digimon Universe: Appli Monsters, 2016 to 2017: Appli Monsters has a likable cast of protagonists and a good story; a bit confusing in certain aspects at first, but everything gets explained by the end. Absolutely underrated... and sadly, the reason for that is because it aired while Digimon Adventure tri. (BLECH!) was running, which means the nostalgia goggles crowd was out in full force and throwing shade on Appmon (Shade which it didn't deserve IMO, especially given that Appmon was actually pretty good while tri. was really bad).

•Megalobox, 2018: Tied with SSSS GRIDMAN as my anime of the year for 2018. It looks like a late 1990s / early 2000s anime and it's awesome, especially if you're a fan of Hajime no Ippo and the like.

•SSSS GRIDMAN, 2018: Tied with Megalobox as my anime of the year for 2018. Whether you've watched Denkou Choujin Gridman, its American adaptation Superhuman Samurai Syber Squad, or even both, you'll find references to them. There's a sequel / spinoff incoming soon (SSSS DYNAZENON), which I am REALLY looking forward to.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. I could mention a few more if I wanted to, but those are the ones I had to mention right out the gate. I'll probably be back to mention more at another time.

Those are Azusa Miura (THE iDOLM@STER) and Omnimon Alter-S (Digimon) in my profile pic and signature respectively. Nintendo Switch friend code and new sig coming soon. Hopefully.